Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Cadenza is Kia's take on the Hyundai Azera

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 09:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think it's great looking with lots of nice details. wheel gap's a bit big here, but it's a decent styling job.

[IM.jpg[/IMG]
Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Interesting that there is wheel gap since those are 19 in rims.

Overall it's just like Audi that they take a good design, make unnecessary changes to the look and thus make it appear slightly dated. Still looks nice.
'

On cue

lol....its blandomatic, looks like something from the 1990s

Please don't mention Audi.

Old 01-17-13, 09:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
'

On cue
Mike, please exit this thread and knock off the personal jabs.
Old 01-17-13, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

i think it's great looking with lots of nice details. wheel gap's a bit big here, but it's a decent styling job.

Agree it's decent-looking....though the front end is pretty much the same as all the other Kia sedans these days. Seems like Kia, like a number of other auto-manufacturers, is going for a standardized front-end look (Audi, Acura, BMW, Mitsubishi, Chevy, Buick, etc...) I think that Ford, with their new emphasis on Aston-style grilles, will probably be next.

I don't see any problem with wheel gaps, as long as they are reasonable. You have to have at least some gap to allow for up/down suspension-travel over bumps/acceleration/braking, weight in the car, and body-roll when cornering. Otherwise, the tires will rub their tread off in the wells, and the fender sheet-metal could be damaged.
Old 01-17-13, 09:45 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just don't see any character or identity with this design. What is it saying about me on the road? What should I be expecting when I buy it?

What Schreyer has failed to do is create a unique and consistent brand design language for KIA. Instead he's taken all of his VW/Audi designs and applied them to KIA with a few changed details and a new grill.

"Smithers' I'm beginning to think that Peter Schreyer was not the brilliant designer I thought he was.."
Old 01-17-13, 10:18 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with Blueprint and Mr. Burns on this regarding the Cadenza. Reminds me how the VW Phaeton and Audi A8 were basically the same vehicle with a few minor differences.

Hyundai and Kia are the same company but should have much more differences when sharing the same platforms for either Hyundai or Kia. Hyundai is definitely coming up and should absorb Kia into Hyundai and then create a luxury division to compete with either tier 2 luxury (Acura, Cadillac, Infiniti and Lincoln) or tier 1 luxury (Audi, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes).
Old 01-18-13, 04:17 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

"Smithers' I'm beginning to think that Peter Schreyer was not the brilliant designer I thought he was.."

yeah. It's looking like Peter's a one trick pony.

Current audi designers have done a better job since he left.
Old 01-18-13, 05:08 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
I'm inclined to agree with Blueprint and Mr. Burns on this regarding the Cadenza. Reminds me how the VW Phaeton and Audi A8 were basically the same vehicle with a few minor differences.

Hyundai and Kia are the same company but should have much more differences when sharing the same platforms for either Hyundai or Kia. Hyundai is definitely coming up and should absorb Kia into Hyundai and then create a luxury division to compete with either tier 2 luxury (Acura, Cadillac, Infiniti and Lincoln) or tier 1 luxury (Audi, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes).
In theory this would be a good idea, but absorbing Kia into Hyundai would give up an ungodly amount of sales. The two do have distinctive styling and subtle tuning differences, enough to the point where they often end up some distance away from each other when in the same comparison test.
Old 01-18-13, 07:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

why are the group of young women behind the car carrying stacks of black boxes?
Old 01-18-13, 07:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

agreed they're not differentiated enough, but disagree they should combine hyundai and kia.

also, the whole tier 1 / tier 2 luxury thing is really a u.s.-only concept, as companies like mercedes certainly sell very spartan vehicles in other parts of the world. conversely, it's true that the 'tier 2' brands you mention don't sell really high end cars (LS600hL, LFA, 750, S class, etc.).

hyundai is a wide ranging brand today (accent to equus!), using its kia subsidiary more for more more youthful designed 'premium value' (?) mainstream vehicles.

seems likely in time hyundai will launch a third brand for luxury vehicles.
Old 01-22-13, 02:13 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I would pick the K9 over this
Old 01-22-13, 12:01 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

agreed they're not differentiated enough, but disagree they should combine hyundai and kia.

also, the whole tier 1 / tier 2 luxury thing is really a u.s.-only concept, as companies like mercedes certainly sell very spartan vehicles in other parts of the world. conversely, it's true that the 'tier 2' brands you mention don't sell really high end cars (LS600hL, LFA, 750, S class, etc.).

hyundai is a wide ranging brand today (accent to equus!), using its kia subsidiary more for more more youthful designed 'premium value' (?) mainstream vehicles.

seems likely in time hyundai will launch a third brand for luxury vehicles.
I guess it's kinda like Scion and Toyota (Kia and Hyundai). Now Hyundai needs a luxury division.

Tier 1 and tier 2 is an easier way to categorize luxury vehicles. In other parts of the world BMW and Mercedes do sell spartan vehicles because they don't have a parent company like Toyota or Volkswagen to sell mainstream vehicles. Lexus and Audi have the R&D funding of their respective parent companies. Mercedes tried having a mainstream car company when they purchased Chrysler but that didn't work out. BMW is expanding with Mini. Mini isn't a mainstream car company but has come a long way.
Old 01-22-13, 05:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I guess it's kinda like Scion and Toyota (Kia and Hyundai). Now Hyundai needs a luxury division.
agreed. kia soul is kinda like a small xB.

Tier 1 and tier 2 is an easier way to categorize luxury vehicles. In other parts of the world BMW and Mercedes do sell spartan vehicles because they don't have a parent company like Toyota or Volkswagen to sell mainstream vehicles. Lexus and Audi have the R&D funding of their respective parent companies. Mercedes tried having a mainstream car company when they purchased Chrysler but that didn't work out. BMW is expanding with Mini. Mini isn't a mainstream car company but has come a long way.
seems reasonable, but is 'tier 1' then just 4 brands (mb, lexus, bmw, audi)? what about bentley, or maserati? heck even tesla?
Old 01-22-13, 06:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

well it looks good overall, especially profile which is a lot like 7 series... but you can see it is copied design and those wheels particularly are bad.

this much nicer pics and wheels and shows VW/BMW design cues... you would have no clue what car this is from profile... maybe Passat maybe BMW.... and that kink in the rear doors looks like Lexus.
Old 01-22-13, 11:30 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I just don't see any character or identity with this design. What is it saying about me on the road?
"I just spent almost 40,000 dollars on a Kia"

and

What should I be expecting when I buy it?
Vibration and possible alignment or steering issues.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ng-term-review

Last edited by Chocolate; 01-23-13 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 10:00 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I would pick the K9 over this
The K9 is Kia's flagship just like the equus for hyundai.

I would pick a flagship over a middle luxury too

Quick Reply: 2014 Cadenza is Kia's take on the Hyundai Azera