Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend pits SRT Viper against Chevy Corvette ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 09:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Motor Trend pits SRT Viper against Chevy Corvette ZR1

Motor Trend pits SRT Viper against Chevy Corvette ZR1

Last month, Motor Trend took over Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to perform one of the first head-to-head comparisons between the current Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and its newly redesigned nemesis, the SRT Viper. We've already gone over the article and amazing photographs of this epic all-American battle, and now, MT has provided a video of the deed in its latest "Head 2 Head" installment.

As we've already reported, not only did the 'Vette come out victorious when it came to lapping Laguna Seca, but it also set a new track record for a production car with a time of 1:33.70 beating the previous time by 0.2 seconds and beating the Viper by more than two seconds. In straight-line performance, both cars ran an identical 11.4 seconds in a quarter mile sprint. In the video, MT's drivers point out that the ZR1 has better braking and cornering on the track while the Viper's raw power and rough ride were mentioned on multiple occasions. One of the interesting notes is that the video points out the "deafening" cabin noise and "rock-hard" seats in the Viper, but SRT responded by saying both issues will be fixed by the time the car goes on sale.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/17/m...-corvette-zr1/
Old 01-18-13, 04:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

viper still looks tacky to me....especially in bright red.
Old 04-05-13, 12:39 AM
Hoovey689

Default SRT's Ralph Gilles addresses the infamous Motor Trend Viper vs. ZR1 test

SRT's Ralph Gilles addresses the infamous Motor Trend Viper vs. ZR1 test

In one of the most interesting roundtable discussions we've seen in quite some time, the boys from Motor Trend, along with pro racing driver Randy Pobst, sat down with SRT head honcho Ralph Gilles to discuss the 2014 Viper. And the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, naturally. As you may remember, Motor Trend has filmed two videos pitting the latest Viper from SRT against the standard-bearing ZR1, with the Viper losing the first battle but barely eking out a victory with the upgraded TA model in the second.

A few interesting tidbits sneak out regarding the Viper, such as the fact that an ACR model isn't ready "yet," as well as the story of how the TA model came into existence after the first test by Motor Trend. Apparently, that test also resulted in a slight softening of the regular Viper's suspension for production. Interestingly, Gilles doesn't seem ready to admit defeat even in that first testing session, saying that the Viper used by MT was a pre-production model and that it had been out of alignment – that said, he does offer up an apology of sorts for "throwing gas on the fire" on social networks after the video hit the web.

Moving away from the Viper toward the end of the discussion, Gilles touches on the new Camaro Z28 and mentions that "the Challenger is under the knife as we speak... and we're going to come with an answer to [the Z28] and an answer for our friends at Ford." That sounds mighty intriguing... though Gilles also admits that a Cuda isn't coming "anytime soon," but that it is "a couple years out" on a different platform than the Challenger. Fortunately, it sounds like the next-generation of the Challenger SRT will make an appearance in New York in 2014.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/04/s...tor-trend-vip/
Old 08-28-13, 05:50 PM
Hoovey689

Default Viper beat again, this time by less powerful Corvette Stingray

Viper beat again, this time by less powerful Corvette Stingray

Alright, there's no way the 455-horsepower Chevrolet Corvette Stingray beat the 640-hp SRT Viper, you say. Well, you're partially right. Edmunds ran them down a quarter-mile drag strip and the Viper did it in 11.72 seconds at 124.09 miles per hour to the Stingray's 12.39 seconds at 113.73 mph. The Viper did 0-60 miles per hour in 3.5 seconds compared to the the Corvette's 4.1-second run. But the Chevrolet definitely pulled above its weight, and we see once again that horsepower doesn't mean everything after it beats the Viper in the other three tests.

The Corvette and Viper have long been arch nemeses, and SRT head Ralph Gilles had the Viper TA built after the Corvette ZR1 handily beat it by two seconds at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca this year.

But no matter the test, if it isn't in a straight line, Edmunds shows that the new base Corvette can outdo the Viper with much less horsepower. On the skidpad with narrower tires, the Stingray pulled 1.05 g compared to the Viper's 1.01 g. The Viper's horsepower advantage couldn't overcome the Corvette's predictable handling in the slalom test, where the V10-powered SRT maxed out at 72 mph to the Corvette's 73.5 mph. Edmunds' Chris Walton describes the Corvette's brakes as out of this world, able to stop it from 60 mph in 99 feet. The Viper does that in 110 ft.

The never-ending Viper vs. Corvette showdown continues, and it seems Chevy's newest sports car has the fundamentals down pat - just add power. Edmunds didn't pick an overall winner - we think a track test will solve that.

Source and Video:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/28/s...tingray-video/
Old 08-28-13, 09:02 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone can see that the Viper needs to ditch Pirelli and use Michelin's like the Vette does.
Old 08-28-13, 09:21 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by TF109B
Anyone can see that the Viper needs to ditch Pirelli and use Michelin's like the Vette does.
Seeing as how Pirelli is Italian and Chryslers owners are also Italian..

lol jk
Old 08-29-13, 10:51 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm......seems like atm:
Michelin Pilot Sport > Pirelli P-Zero

In any case though, there are some rumors floating around the internet that if Pirelli can't fulfill the request of SRT/Chrysler for better Pirelli P-Zero Corsa tires for the upcoming SRT Viper ACR, then the predictions are stating that SRT would just have to go with:
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT CUP 3 tires instead.

Of course though, if you're using the SRT Viper for your daily drive to the grocery or supermarket, then the Pirelli stock tires are more than enough.

They seem to handle WET weather better so rain and wet conditions seem to favor the Pirelli tires

Anyways, we shall see........

--------------

Still regardless of the outcome, I wouldn't label the SRT Viper as an inferior sports car.

After all, it's currently the only vehicle in the world that has the highest amount of max torque out of a naturally-aspirated engine @ 813 Newton Meters (stock production form)

Also, the Viper has a V10 that has power and torque but obviously heavier than the V8 in the Corvette 7th gen.

Hence, it's logical that the 7th Gen Corvette would excel more on turns while the SRT Viper does better on straights.

There's no winner or loser between the two imho
Old 08-29-13, 12:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It was pretty embarrassing for the SRT guys when their new and improved Viper got spanked.
Old 08-29-13, 12:25 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tires are whats letting the car down, not the car itself. Theyre no match for the new michelin's on the vette. I heard that FIAT (Ferrari) were the ones who decided that pirelli tires would be on the Viper for fear it would 'show up' Ferrari if it wore the same tires (michelin) as their cars. Not sure how much stock to put in that one, but Ferrari owners have stated similar things.
Old 08-29-13, 12:35 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
It was pretty embarrassing for the SRT guys when their new and improved Viper got spanked.
Perhaps

But imho, I wouldn't call it inferior. This new generation SRT Viper is still a superb performance vehicle.

Sure, there may be some slight issues (such as the paint melting on areas near the tailpipe exhaust) but this is due to the lower budget that Chrysler has given to SRT for the Viper program.

Nevertheless, this new SRT Viper is more superior compared to any previous generations of the Viper in all aspects. In short, a worthy successor.

Go Viper
Old 08-29-13, 12:38 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

The tires are whats letting the car down, not the car itself. Theyre no match for the new michelin's on the vette. I heard that FIAT (Ferrari) were the ones who decided that pirelli tires would be on the Viper for fear it would 'show up' Ferrari if it wore the same tires (michelin) as their cars. Not sure how much stock to put in that one, but Ferrari owners have stated similar things.
Hehe wasn't it Ferrari management that stated that any upcoming ACR Viper must not have any horsepower increase in order to avoid it surpassing the F12 Berlinetta?
Old 08-29-13, 12:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Perhaps

But imho, I wouldn't call it inferior. This new generation SRT Viper is still a superb performance vehicle.

Sure, there may be some slight issues (such as the paint melting on areas near the tailpipe exhaust) but this is due to the lower budget that Chrysler has given to SRT for the Viper program.

Nevertheless, this new SRT Viper is more superior compared to any previous generations of the Viper in all aspects. In short, a worthy successor.

Go Viper
I would agree tat the new Viper is light years ahead in refinement . The performance is better and kind of nice to have traction control so you dont kill yourself. I still can imagine that the SRT boys were not very happy when the aged ZR1 beat the brand new car. I think they even ran it against the Viper with the track pack ...not sure