Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thanks, Lexus.....a wise color choice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-13, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks, Lexus.....a wise color choice.

I've always felt that the Matador Red Mica color used on some Lexus models was beautiful. In fact, I bought my own Buick Verano in an extra-cost shade (Crystal Red Metallic Pearl) that is virtually identical to the Matador Red in hue/color and sparkle. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, to their credit, also has an extra-cost color called Inferno Red (sometimes refered to by other names), which, like on Buicks and some other GM cars, is an almost exact copy of the Lexus Matador Red (though you guys know from my auto-reviews that I don't think that most regular production paint jobs merit an extra-charge).

Anyhow, several times, in the past, especially at the D.C. auto show, I've suggested the Matador Red for the LS, since most of the LS paint jobs are either the nice-looking White Starfire Pearl (a color I've also always liked) or something super-dull that looked more at home in a mortuary. More than once, the Lexus reps replied by saying that they felt that the Matador Red was probably too sporty a color for the conservative LS, and that it woudn't sell. (I assume that's why the LS doesn't get the Solar Yellow my old IS300 had, or the stunning Ultrasonic Blue of the IS-F).

This year, I notice that Lexus has adopted the Matador Red to the LS, even on the base-model 460. Wise choice, IMO.

Now, about that Amythist............we're still waiting.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-13 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 06:38 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not the biggest lexus fan but one of my favorite colors ever is Glacier frost mica from the IS
Old 01-19-13, 10:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Bamboo Pearl on the 2RX is nice
Old 01-19-13, 10:30 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree too, the matador red is beautiful. I was never a fan of red cars until I saw it on an IS-F for the first time. I still would prefer a white color, but I would like to own a matador red color car at least once in my life.
Old 01-20-13, 03:42 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've always felt that the Matador Red Mica color used on some Lexus models was beautiful. In fact, I bought my own Buick Verano in an extra-cost shade (Crystal Red Metallic Pearl) that is virtually identical to the Matador Red in hue/color and sparkle. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, to their credit, also has an extra-cost color called Inferno Red (sometimes refered to by other names), which, like on Buicks and some other GM cars, is an almost exact copy of the Lexus Matador Red (though you guys know from my auto-reviews that I don't think that most regular production paint jobs merit an extra-charge).

Anyhow, several times, in the past, especially at the D.C. auto show, I've suggested the Matador Red for the LS, since most of the LS paint jobs are either the nice-looking White Starfire Pearl (a color I've also always liked) or something super-dull that looked more at home in a mortuary. More than once, the Lexus reps replied by saying that they felt that the Matador Red was probably too sporty a color for the conservative LS, and that it woudn't sell. (I assume that's why the LS doesn't get the Solar Yellow my old IS300 had, or the stunning Ultrasonic Blue of the IS-F).

This year, I notice that Lexus has adopted the Matador Red to the LS, even on the base-model 460. Wise choice, IMO.

Now, about that Amythist............we're still waiting.

Glad Lexus finally came to their senses and trust what customers like us are saying..

Matadaor Red will be an Awesome LS color..
Old 01-20-13, 06:25 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great post MM! I have to say I'm not a red car personality type person but I was smitten by the Matador Red and I have no regrets with it in my 7+ years of ownership.

I thought it looks really good on the 3RX too and I'm certain it will look very good on the LS. Interestingly I've even had a handful of people tell me that although they are not a fan of the IS they absolutely love the color!
Old 01-20-13, 06:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Lexus has been getting better with colors lately... used to be only 3 colors viable but now they are spicing things up a bit.
Old 01-20-13, 07:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Noble Spinel Mica is FAR superior than the Matador Red on the LS, the matador red is nice on the IS but it has too much of an orange hue for a large elegant classy looking car like the LS.

The darker red paint (I think it's called Ruby Red) formerly offered for the ES looks better on the ES than the Matador Red available for the ES now too, I have seen them both side by side.

Yes, I do think Twilight Amethyst Pearl should be offered again on a future Lexus model.
Old 01-20-13, 07:49 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My favorite are Black Opal Mica that never caught up in US and Peridot Green Mica, the perfect green color on a warm side.

Surprisingly enough Lexus doesn't offer any green anymore.
Old 01-20-13, 10:46 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really liked all two of the Desert Sage Metallic ISX50s I've seen on the road.
Old 01-20-13, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Noble Spinel Mica is FAR superior than the Matador Red on the LS,
  1. the matador red is nice on the IS but it has too much of an orange hue for a large elegant classy looking car like the LS.

I respect your opinion on that matter, Andrew (I know you're a long-time Lexus owner) .....but, ironically, that was exactly the same excuse that the Lexus reps gave me when they first said they they too, felt that Matador Red was probably too sporty a color for the LS. Perhaps, when they finally saw a prototype LS painted in that shade, maybe they changed their minds.

I am (admittedly) conservative in at least some of my automotive views (such as old-fashioned ride-comfort)....but I've never felt that even traditional non-sporting luxury cars like the LS had to be limited to just funeral-color shades.

Yes, I do think Twilight Amethyst Pearl should be offered again on a future Lexus model.
Lexus admittedly did a beautiful dark-purple Amythist on the 2Gen SC430 (that's the only Lexus model I know of that offered it). But Subaru, IMO, did an even better, lighter, (true Amythist-purple) color on the early-mid 90s Imprezas. Cadillac also did a slightly more grayish-purple version of it on the 90s-vintage DeVilles.

I considered buying a Dodge Challenger R/T a couple of years ago when they did a special limited-run of them in the original 1970 Plum-Crazy purple color I remember from high school. That color was (and still is) dynamite....but I was unimpressed with the Challenger's build-quality even today (the original 1970 had unbelievably bad workmanship), and its RWD and high-power is practically useless on slick roads.

Here's the Amythist Impreza:

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-13 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-20-13, 05:21 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I respect your opinion on that matter, Andrew (I know you're a long-time Lexus owner) .....but, ironically, that was exactly the same excuse that the Lexus reps gave me when they first said they they too, felt that Matador Red was probably too sporty a color for the LS. Perhaps, when they finally saw a prototype LS painted in that shade, maybe they changed their minds.

I am (admittedly) conservative in at least some of my automotive views (such as old-fashioned ride-comfort)....but I've never felt that even traditional non-sporting luxury cars like the LS had to be limited to just funeral-color shades.
The darker red paints for both LS and ES aren't funeral color shades at all, they look just as sharp and gorgeous as the Matador red, just classier and more suited to those model, ... and I won't trust Lexus reps for their good taste in choosing colors for their models, they always have some choices that are quite questionable.
I do like the Matador Red paint though, but it's good only on the IS and SC to me.
Old 01-20-13, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Great post MM!
Thanks.

I have to say I'm not a red car personality type person but I was smitten by the Matador Red and I have no regrets with it in my 7+ years of ownership.
Agreed....red is generally not among my favorites, but, among the reds that are available, you and I both seem to agree that (almost) no one does it better than Lexus with the Matador Red. Chrysler did a copy-cat (or was it the other way around)? Inferno Red which was also gorgeous (charging extra-cost for it). GM jumped on the bandwagon with its very similiar Crystal Red Metallic (also extra-cost)...that is the color I have on my Buick Verano. The Verano, when it first debuted, I thought, had a very poor and too-limited color-choice (one of the car's few weaknesses)....the Pearl White and Crystal Red were the only exceptions. Since then, though, a nice bright-ish blue (mostly for the new turbo model) has been added.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-13 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-20-13, 06:00 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

starfire pearl is a beautiful white.
Old 01-20-13, 09:44 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i searched for Opaline Pearl(1g5) LS460(clean, low miles & w/comfort +) for about 6months before giving up. Had to settle for a smoky granite mica...no regrets but still stare on OP's when i see them on road.

Quick Reply: Thanks, Lexus.....a wise color choice.