Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Telegraph UK Engine Reliability Survey Lex 6th!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 12:19 PM
Machog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telegraph UK Engine Reliability Survey Lex 6th!

Lexus in 6th place, Toyota in 2nd and Honda 1st. BMW Nowhere in sight.

Can only assume Lex went to 6th because they typically have a lot more gizmos to go wrong than the average Toyota?

I'm on my third Lexi, all 3 have been flawless, as has my Honda Ridgeline and my Acura MDX.

My BMW started to electrically disintegrate around 50k miles, along numerous mechanical problems.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...10-brands.html

Machog
Old 01-22-13, 12:50 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Ranking and Failure Rates:
1. Honda: 1 in 344
2. Toyota: 1 in 171 (2x the failure rate of Hondas)
3. Mercedes-Benz: 1 in 119
4. Volvo: 1 in 111
5. Jaguar: 1 in 103
6. Lexus: 1 in 101
7. Fiat: 1 in 85 (2x the failure rate of Toyotas)
8. Ford: 1 in 80
9. Nissan: 1 in 76
10. Land Rover: 1 in 72
Old 01-22-13, 03:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

wow, so nissan having nearly 5 times more failures than honda isn't good news.
Old 01-22-13, 03:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, so nissan having nearly 5 times more failures than honda isn't good news.
thats averages from Warranty Direct, from their 50,000 policies... and thats actually 10 best by engine reliability alone.

Rest of the brands (27 total) are worse :-).
Old 01-22-13, 08:42 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

dont forget about transmissions too
we all know how poor some of the acura/honda transmission boxes can be
Old 01-22-13, 10:28 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

Mercedes did alright. Nissan didn't do so hot...
Old 01-22-13, 11:27 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Wow shocked to see Mercedes that high
Old 01-22-13, 11:33 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jaguar seems to be improving

On the other hand, Land Rover needs to work harder to improve their quality and reliability.
Old 01-22-13, 11:41 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Jaguar made the list! good for them
Old 01-23-13, 06:20 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I have some concerns with this latest survey. I don't have problems with the failure rate numbers; after all, numbers do not lie, but I do have questions about how they generated these numbers.
  1. How does Warranty Direct define "engine failure"? Is it as severe as "suddenly stalled on the road and could not re-start" or is it as simple as "cold engine would not start on a cold, damp morning"?
  2. How do these different types of engine failures break down for each brand of vehicle? Does 2nd-place Toyota have more incidents of more severe failure than 6th-place Lexus (i.e. Lexus has many cases of simple engine-would-not-start problems that skewed the results)?
  3. How many vehicles of each brand do they have in their database? A total of 50,000 vehicles of all brands is not a large number. If they do not have a similar number of cars for each brand, especially if they have a large number of certain brands but only a small number of other brands, the numbers will be skewed and cannot be statistically compared. If they have a small number of one brand, the failure rate for that brand will look unrealistically high, in comparison with another brand for which they have a large number of vehicles.
  4. Do the owners of certain brands tend to purchase the after-market warranty more than others? I am thinking that perhaps Jaguar and Land Rover owners may be more likely to purchase an extended warranty than Honda or Toyota owners. If that is the case and there are more J-LR owners in the database than Honda or Toyota owners (in absolute numbers or in proportions that are much different from the numbers of these brands actually on the roads of the UK), the results may be skewed in favour of the J-LR owners.
Old 01-23-13, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I've said many times (and a number of different sources show), that, despite Honda and Acura's well-known styling and marketing problems, they still assemble a car at the factory better than any other mass-market manufacturer. I can often (but not always) tell a Honda/Acura product blindfolded, just from the precision-feel of some of the parts/trim, operation of the *****/controls, and the way the doors open and close.
Old 01-23-13, 11:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

would like to see on a per model basis the number of failures
Old 01-23-13, 11:38 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've said many times (and a number of different sources show), that, despite Honda and Acura's well-known styling and marketing problems, they still assemble a car at the factory better than any other mass-market manufacturer. I can often (but not always) tell a Honda/Acura product blindfolded, just from the precision-feel of some of the parts/trim, operation of the *****/controls, and the way the doors open and close.
This has been my experience as well. Tighter than average exterior panel gaps and very solid sounding and feeling closure of doors, trunk lids, even the interior glove box/center console lid. I would buy a Honda before I'd buy a Toyota. I haven't been as impressed with Acuras though, probably because in the premium segments that's all expected, so Lexus all the way for me. But to see it in a Civic is impressive.
Old 01-23-13, 11:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
This has been my experience as well. Tighter than average exterior panel gaps and very solid sounding and feeling closure of doors, trunk lids, even the interior glove box/center console lid. I would buy a Honda before I'd buy a Toyota. I haven't been as impressed with Acuras though, probably because in the premium segments that's all expected, so Lexus all the way for me. But to see it in a Civic is impressive.
My sister in law bought a '13 Altima earlier this week.I was surprised on how solid the thud on the doors were.Nice car and very nicely equipped for her $27500 sticker.
Old 01-23-13, 02:28 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My sister in law bought a '13 Altima earlier this week.I was surprised on how solid the thud on the doors were.Nice car and very nicely equipped for her $27500 sticker.
Nissan/Infinitis though are not as mechanically refined or engineered in my book as Honda/Toyota. Honda is probably tops at nailing the whole package.

Quick Reply: Telegraph UK Engine Reliability Survey Lex 6th!