Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Redesigned 2014 Tundra coming to Chicago - February 7

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 12:27 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish the new engines were in there, even if the current ones are pretty competitive and not that old. Still, it's a very nice refresh and the interior is very nice, especially that 1794. They'll have a nice boost in sales.
Old 02-07-13, 12:44 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by My0gr81
What? Would you like to expand on your comments?
https://www.google.com/search?q=toyota+tundra+rust

https://www.google.com/search?q=toyota+tacoma+rust
Old 02-07-13, 12:48 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The Big 3's pickup trucks have substantial amounts of investment behind them, because they're the LIFEBLOOD of the company. The profits of trucks compensates for the lack of profitability in all their other products.

The other day there was a report that F-Series was 90% of the profit for Ford. And trucks were roughly 67% of profits for GM.

Toyota has a solid product in the full-size arena. much more so than the Titan (although new Titan has yet to be shown). But it's apparent that the truck group at Toyota doesn't have the budget of the trucks at the Big 3. Toyota could switch its business model around to match the Big 3, but we've all seen how that will work out in the end.

I'm sure the Big 3 would love to have Toyota's car/truck sales mix and profits.

I'm just glad that Toyota offers a well built (generally, maybe some suspect frame issues linger), quality option for its set of buyers.
Old 02-07-13, 12:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pbm317
The Big 3's pickup trucks have substantial amounts of investment behind them, because they're the LIFEBLOOD of the company. The profits of trucks compensates for the lack of profitability in all their other products.

The other day there was a report that F-Series was 90% of the profit for Ford. And trucks were roughly 67% of profits for GM.

Toyota has a solid product in the full-size arena. much more so than the Titan (although new Titan has yet to be shown). But it's apparent that the truck group at Toyota doesn't have the budget of the trucks at the Big 3. Toyota could switch its business model around to match the Big 3, but we've all seen how that will work out in the end.

I'm sure the Big 3 would love to have Toyota's car/truck sales mix and profits.

I'm just glad that Toyota offers a well built (generally, maybe some suspect frame issues linger), quality option for its set of buyers.

Great post. Also it seems Toyota was shocked just to find out how loyal their customers were. Toyota now has a smaller but very loyal set of buyers who will only purchase a Tundra, no different than the others.

Not every flaming car is meant to sell #1. Once they meet their targets that is what matters (I have no idea if the last Tundra did that).

Old 02-07-13, 01:43 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

At the end of the day, full-sized trucks are still as all-American as apple pie. The customer is almost always going to look at an American make first. But there is still a slice of the market that has a history with Japanese trucks and the Tundra will continue to serve them while simultaneously eroding some of the traditional customer base from the domestics. Even if that's not a significant group it's still a gain for Toyota. The trick for Toyota is balancing investment against return.
Old 02-07-13, 01:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Great post. Also it seems Toyota was shocked just to find out how loyal their customers were. Toyota now has a smaller but very loyal set of buyers who will only purchase a Tundra, no different than the others.

Not every flaming car is meant to sell #1. Once they meet their targets that is what matters (I have no idea if the last Tundra did that).
I agree, I think Toyota was shocked at how brand loyal buyers are. The current Tundra IMO does not live up the hype in the way Toyota would like you to believe. To. Be honest, the truck is to large and the marketing (how big it is, huge brakes, oh baby) is not all that great. I firmly believe that the fist generation double cab was the best ever design for the Tundra, I wish they elvolved that model to have a bigger engine and capacity.

I find it really hard to believe that buyers are going to think the Tundra can do anything better than a Ford, Dodge or GM.

Generally Toyota pulls out all the punches, but something tells me the American trucks are better at being American trucks.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-07-13 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 02:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree, I think Toyota was shocked at how brand loyal buyers are. The current Tundra IMO does not live up the hype in the way Toyota would like you to believe. To. Be honest, the truck is to large and the marketing (how big it is, huge brakes, oh baby) is not all that great. I firmly believe that the fist generation double cab was the best ever design for the Tundra, I wish they elvolved that model to have a bigger engine and capacity.

I find it really hard to believe that buyers are going to think the Tundra can do anything better than a Ford, Dodge or GM.

Generally Toyota pulls out all the punches, but something tells me the American trucks are better at being American trucks.
My post was not a bridge for another Anti- Toyota/Lexus rant.
Did you comprehend what I said? I said Toyota was surprised how loyal buyers were to them. It's obvious buyers are loyal to the sales leaders.

Again not every fraking vehicle is meant to sell like a Camry. If they are happy with their niche that's good.

Old 02-07-13, 02:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I'll be the only one to say I think the refresh is a downgrade. The current model has smoother, more integrated bodywork. Dashboard also flows nicer on the current unit. New model mimicks the F-150 inside and out. This would be a logical direction to go, but Toyota is losing any grace it had with this model. For a handful of people who wish they didn't have to buy a truck- but must due to work, the Tundra was the most carlike. Not so now.
However, I must applaud the company for utilizing a manumatic shifter on the gear lever. This is the simplest and most comfortable way to shift a vehicle up and down it's gears.
Old 02-07-13, 02:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly as I thought, just a heavy refresh, not a redesign. The fully redesigned Tundra should appear in 2-3 years.

Nice exterior, I like the more chiseled appearance. One thing I think they failed on though is the bigger grille makes the headlights look too small. I understand they couldn't significantly change the headlamp shape of course.

Interior is a HUGE improvement, makes the previous interior look so cheap and low quality. The Platinum and 1794 Edition interiors look excellent. A lot of soft touch leather all around the interior, and nice stitching and color patterns. Interior definitely has a more F150 type feel, hopefully the redesigned model will have a less Ford-like interior. Also great to see a new seat design.

Also nice to hear from the webcast that they're currently working on the new Tacoma. That should be coming soon, and then expect a fully redesigned Tundra about a year or two afterwords.

Nice to hear as well they improved the suspension tuning and steering feel.

Originally Posted by flipside909
Tundra still needs real HD and a diesel variant to go against the Big 3.
Toyota has needed real HD and diesel variants since 2007. Toyota lost a customer from my family. My family would have bought an HD diesel Tundra had one been available in 2008, but went with Dodge instead. Toyota fans have asked for that since 2007. I don't think Toyota is going to do it unfortunately . It goes against their hybrid push. I'd love see see real HD and diesel variants for the next-gen model, but I doubt it will happen.

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
So is the next fully redesigned Tundra coming out in 2015-2016? I mean this just seems like a face lift.
Yeah, the redesigned model should appear around that timeframe.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'll be the only one to say I think the refresh is a downgrade. The current model has smoother, more integrated bodywork. Dashboard also flows nicer on the current unit. New model mimicks the F-150 inside and out. This would be a logical direction to go, but Toyota is losing any grace it had with this model. For a handful of people who wish they didn't have to buy a truck- but must due to work, the Tundra was the most carlike. Not so now.
However, I must applaud the company for utilizing a manumatic shifter on the gear lever. This is the simplest and most comfortable way to shift a vehicle up and down it's gears.
Almost none of us here on CL are the target demographic for the truck segment. Toyota said they talked with existing Tundra owners as well as other truck customers in the market and almost everyone wanted a more rugged and chiseled design. The new interior blows away the old interior objectively speaking. Whether you like it or not style-wise is irrelevant.

Customers were NOT asking for a more car-like model.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-07-13 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 05:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

It reminds me of the current F150 as well

Yeah it's pretty evident Toyota was after the F150's instrument panel. I don't blame them because the F150's instrument panel is very user friendly and intuitive. The new Tundra dash looks great now that it ditched the asymmetrical driver biased design for something that is visible by all the passengers, especially the speedometer cluster! I've always disliked those "tunnel" design gauges..
Old 02-07-13, 05:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Is it just me though or the interior reminds me of the older F-150?
good catch, but actually it's like the current one too.

It reminds me of the current F150 as well
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
New model mimicks the F-150 inside and out.
Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Interior definitely has a more F150 type feel, hopefully the redesigned model will have a less Ford-like interior.
Originally Posted by flipside909
Yeah it's pretty evident Toyota was after the F150's instrument panel. I don't blame them because the F150's instrument panel is very user friendly and intuitive.
agreed all. imitation is sincere flattery.

toyota should have done more, but nevertheless this is no doubt an excellent truck.
Old 02-07-13, 06:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

F150 inspired interior

A diesel option would be awesome! I would love to see a Caterpillar engine underneath the hood.
Old 02-07-13, 07:51 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the rear looks more "american"
Old 02-07-13, 09:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
the rear looks more "american"
well it did benchmark an American Icon and is made in Merica'
Old 02-07-13, 09:36 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Ford doesn't look good. I like the rounded front end of the Tundra. The ugly grille is the huge chrome surround. On the 'Platinum' Edition it looks a lot better

Quick Reply: Redesigned 2014 Tundra coming to Chicago - February 7