Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OFFICIAL: BMW and Toyota to develop new sports car together

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 12:11 AM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which logo will be used on the car, bmw, toyo or something else ?
Old 11-07-13, 02:12 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Man, the automotive "journalists" must be having a particularly slow news day to need to make up this fluff to get page clicks.

The production LF-LC is a Lexus product and is currently looking at a 2015 release (2016 MY) to occupy the slot that has been empty since the SC was retired. This car is already well into development. It is completely separate from the Lexus-BMW collaboration.

Also, as I've posted in other threads, there is no work at Lexus for a successor to the LFA as a BMW collaboration. If it is, it's a skunk works project.
Old 11-08-13, 07:19 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the Toyota-BMW midsize sports hybrid coupe will be a production of this?

Old 11-13-13, 07:51 AM
94SupraTT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it won't be the next "Supra". I don't think there is a market for it. Not only that if you can't beat the GT-R why make a Supra. What I mean by that is they can't build a "Toyota" and charge $90k for it and expect it to sell. They can build a $300,000 Lexus and it will sell because of the nameplate.
Old 11-13-13, 10:30 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 94SupraTT
Glad it won't be the next "Supra". I don't think there is a market for it. Not only that if you can't beat the GT-R why make a Supra. What I mean by that is they can't build a "Toyota" and charge $90k for it and expect it to sell. They can build a $300,000 Lexus and it will sell because of the nameplate.
What makes you think the LFA sold well? I just did a quick search on Autotrader, there are 41 listed in the U.S. with no miles, a lot of them were initially absorbed by dealers with no actual buyer, they are still sitting on dealer's showroom waiting for a buyer since 2012.

Let's assume the U.S.'s allocation was 173, which means 24% are still unsold since 2012.

And I know some dealers don't even bother listing the LFA they have, just kept it as showroom's decoration, so the actual unsold percentage is higher then 24%.

Last edited by BNR34; 11-13-13 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 10:39 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Well whatever it is, I hope we see a concept at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show.
Old 11-13-13, 11:09 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BNR34
What makes you think the LFA sold well? I just did a quick search on Autotrader, there are 41 listed in the U.S. with no miles, a lot of them were absorbed by dealers with no actual buyer, they are still sitting on dealer's showroom waiting for a buyer.

Let's assume the U.S.'s allocation was 173, which means 24% are still unsold since 2012.

And I know some dealers don't even bother listing the LFA they have, just kept it as showroom's decoration, so the actual unsold percentage is higher then 24%.
I believe you, and that is because of it's ridiculous price...half a million for something barely 500HP. There are better buys at that price point.
Old 11-13-13, 12:10 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I thought the LFA was $375k?
Old 11-13-13, 12:38 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I believe you, and that is because of it's ridiculous price...half a million for something barely 500HP. There are better buys at that price point.
The ultra high price, the relatively low prestige Lexus badge, the less then amazing styling are all reasons for the low demand.

The car itself is excellent, just not a good value. If the MSRP is $200k, if it got a Ferrari badge, or if it got sexy Italian styling......if it got any one of those thing, it would sell like hot cake.

Last edited by BNR34; 11-13-13 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 01:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

What makes you think the LFA sold well? I just did a quick search on Autotrader, there are 41 listed in the U.S. with no miles, a lot of them were initially absorbed by dealers with no actual buyer, they are still sitting on dealer's showroom waiting for a buyer since 2012.
people on CL were denied opportunity to buy LFA because all of them were pre-allocated in advance
Old 11-13-13, 01:09 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
people on CL were denied opportunity to buy LFA because all of them were pre-allocated in advance
Right, that's what Lexus want you to believe to hype up interest and demand initially.

Don't believe everything you hear or read...........go look for yourself on autotrader.com right now, 41 listed for MSRP or lower, available and looking for buyer, taking reasonable offer.

41 cars, a parking lot full of them, not 4.

The similarly price Ferrari 599 GTO that was produced around the same time and around the same volume (599), have 8 listed right now.

Last edited by BNR34; 11-13-13 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 01:59 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Think you need to be a bit more careful with your research. There's nowhere close to 41 with no miles (right now I see 39 listings, only 33 are "new", and 5 of those "new" ones have 1000+mi), especially considering many of the listings appear to be fake (I checked two of the listings that state a color but have no pictures, and they're the wrong colors - for example #308 is a Pearl Red and is listed as Obsidian; #205 is red but listed as black).

Originally Posted by spwolf
One CL member in Japan was denied. That's it, as far as I know. Not all US LFAs were pre-allocated, as we've discussed elsewhere on this forum. They even increased the total allocation (the second increase, from 150 to 173) after the original allocations were given out. Remember, I was originally told by execs from Lexus Japan that the US was only slotted for 120.

Right, that's what Lexus want you to believe to hype up interest and demand initially.
There are lots of other threads for you to beat your dead horse if that's what you want to insist on doing. If anything, it was complete media hype that surrounded the supposed 'mystique' of the allocation process, which, as CL members have reported, was nothing more than a brief phone call. With all the information that has been provided on the allocation process by CL members, it's pretty sad that people still spout this nonsense years later.
Old 11-13-13, 03:49 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Think you need to be a bit more careful with your research. There's nowhere close to 41 with no miles (right now I see 39 listings, only 33 are "new", and 5 of those "new" ones have 1000+mi), especially considering many of the listings appear to be fake (I checked two of the listings that state a color but have no pictures, and they're the wrong colors - for example #308 is a Pearl Red and is listed as Obsidian; #205 is red but listed as black).
I just did a really quick search, not trying to find out the complete real facts............whatever it is, 41, 39, 33..........is a lot. There are 8 599 GTO listed.

There are lots of other threads for you to beat your dead horse if that's what you want to insist on doing. If anything, it was complete media hype that surrounded the supposed 'mystique' of the allocation process, which, as CL members have reported, was nothing more than a brief phone call. With all the information that has been provided on the allocation process by CL members, it's pretty sad that people still spout this nonsense years later
Either it was from Lexus, or the media or whoever, it was just hype. Who knows where the hype came from initially.
Old 11-16-13, 01:13 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, the automotive "journalists" must be having a particularly slow news day to need to make up this fluff to get page clicks.

The production LF-LC is a Lexus product and is currently looking at a 2015 release (2016 MY) to occupy the slot that has been empty since the SC was retired. This car is already well into development. It is completely separate from the Lexus-BMW collaboration.

Also, as I've posted in other threads, there is no work at Lexus for a successor to the LFA as a BMW collaboration. If it is, it's a skunk works project.
Well I would hate for this to exist even as a skunk works project.

I see zero reason for Toyota to collaborate with BMW on such a project. Absolutely zero.

I also really hope their coming sports car collaborative project has minimal input from BMW.
Old 11-16-13, 06:38 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I really don't know why, but Toyota cars had been boring, and now is the same. I mean IS-F and all is good, but it is too expensive for people to even think about.

The last thing that was very interesting was Supra...although I agree that Supra was priced as much as IS-F nowadays. But it had so much technologies went into it, and good looking. The IS-F and the Supra look way too different, and I meant the Supra do look way better.

The next car lined up that look good is the FR-S, or FT-86. But Toyota also crippled it into 200 HP and priced as much as 25k. That is even slower than a Camry....I mean....common!

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: BMW and Toyota to develop new sports car together