Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Grill Trends

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 10:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. I don't agree with that. Tuna-fish grilles don't necessarily make pedestrian-impacts any safer. They are just a marketing/styling gimick to try and make cars look different from the past when, IMO, there isn't any need to do change just for change's sake.
In the car business, in fact all consumer products, change is needed to draw new buyers, encourage repeat sales, stay current with styling trends and consumer preference. We may not agree with it, but it's always been that way and probably not going to change anytime soon.
Old 06-14-13, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In the car business, in fact all consumer products, change is needed to draw new buyers, encourage repeat sales, stay current with styling trends and consumer preference. We may not agree with it, but it's always been that way and probably not going to change anytime soon.
Actually, no, it isn't always needed, and no, it hasn't always been that way. Look, for example, at how Ford almost ruined the hot-selling Taurus/Sable line when they radically transformed its styling from 1995 to 1996. Sales dropped dramatically....for obvious reasons.

Old 06-14-13, 10:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Actually, no, it isn't always needed, and no, it hasn't always been that way. Look, for example, at how Ford almost ruined the hot-selling Taurus/Sable line when they radically transformed its styling from 1995 to 1996. Sales dropped dramatically....for obvious reasons.

On the other hand, look at Buick and your Verano (with its prominent grill). If they continued to sell the Roadmaster, Lucernes etc. they would have been left in the dust instead of flourishing with the Enclave, Encore, Lacrosse, Verano.

Ford is thriving too. With what? The contemporary Fusion, Focus, Explorer, Edge, Escape, Mustang etc.
Old 06-14-13, 11:03 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mitusbishi started that trend all the way back in 1999

Old 06-14-13, 11:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the big mouth grill on the Audi's but not on most vehicles.
Old 06-14-13, 11:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Mitusbishi started that trend all the way back in 1999
]

Chrysler in the 50's.

Old 06-14-13, 12:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
On the other hand, look at Buick and your Verano (with its prominent grill).
I agree that the Verano's grille is larger than necessary (I've said that before, despite the fact that I own one). There is no totally perfect car yet.....at least, I haven't seen one.

If they continued to sell the Roadmaster, Lucernes etc. they would have been left in the dust instead of flourishing with the Enclave, Encore, Lacrosse, Verano
We'll see. Some Roadmaster and Lucerne owners find the current crop of Buicks acceptable....others don't. Problem is...there's no place that those former owners can go for imiliar new cars at a reasonable price (there's the Lexus LS460 and Mercedes S-Class, both much more expensive)...so I think you will see the values of used Lucernes rise in the used-car market as they become more-frequently-sold and in higher demand there.

Ford is thriving too. With what? The contemporary Fusion, Focus, Explorer, Edge, Escape, Mustang etc.
Yep....but when did Mustang sales really take off in recent years? Correct...when the car returned to its mid/late 1960s styling. We can't really comment as much on the others, because, to an extent, they are apples and oranges, though the Explorer was clearly at its peak in the mid-1990's with relatively square styling.
Old 06-14-13, 01:33 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

hahaha sall good

LOLOL
Old 06-14-13, 02:24 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Chrysler in the 50's.

WOW! I gotta say, I love that car
Old 06-14-13, 04:26 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hyundais are fugly
Old 06-14-13, 04:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

No. I don't agree with that. Tuna-fish grilles don't necessarily make pedestrian-impacts any safer. They are just a marketing/styling gimick to try and make cars look different from the past when, IMO, there isn't any need to do change just for change's sake.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...fatter-feature

Think modern cars look bloated? Of course you do. Part of what you're seeing is the effect of European and Asian pedestrian-protection requirements that went live last decade. The idea is to leave enough space beneath the hood to keep a struck pedestrian's head from caving it in far enough to hit the top of the engine. So, you'd expect higher hoods and taller noses. But that little bit of air over the intake manifold ripples through and changes everything.
higher hoods and higher noses = blunt fronts = big grilles, thats where the design trend is coming from. Say goodbye to sharp nose cars.
Old 06-14-13, 05:05 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Typically big mouths are used for Forced Induction (due to intercooler requirements) vehicles. My hope is that Toyco is moving their designs towards big mouths in anticipation of also going to turbocharged.
Old 06-14-13, 09:10 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Kind of sad that you have to buy an exotic to get the angry door-stop look. I can't think of anybody that's selling something affordable where the top of the bumper is below your knee cap(ala 1st gen MR2, 4th gen Camaro, 1st gen Miata)
Old 06-15-13, 05:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...fatter-feature

higher hoods and higher noses = blunt fronts = big grilles, thats where the design trend is coming from. Say goodbye to sharp nose cars.
this is why 3IS has popup hood in Europe :-)
Old 06-15-13, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguygen

Think modern cars look bloated? Of course you do. Part of what you're seeing is the effect of European and Asian pedestrian-protection requirements that went live last decade. The idea is to leave enough space beneath the hood to keep a struck pedestrian's head from caving it in far enough to hit the top of the engine. So, you'd expect higher hoods and taller noses. But that little bit of air over the intake manifold ripples through and changes everything.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean that the extra space in front has to have a cave-opening grille.

An earlier poster in this thread, I'll admit, actually gave what is IMO a better explanation for overly-large grilles....more potential cooling for turbo and superscharged engines, although some of that is already taken care of by the intercoolers.

Quick Reply: Grill Trends