Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another potential "advantage" of knowing how to drive a stick shift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 11:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Another potential "advantage" of knowing how to drive a stick shift?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Corvette.html

'I had to tell him four different times to push in the clutch!'
Carjacking victim escapes because gang of thieves couldn’t drive his stick shift Corvette
Old 01-30-13, 11:18 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Not particularly with Lexus models, but there are some if the key fob is not detected in the car for say 200ft the car shuts off. So sorry car jackers
Old 01-30-13, 11:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not particularly with Lexus models, but there are some if the key fob is not detected in the car for say 200ft the car shuts off. So sorry car jackers
That is, of course, assuming the car jackers either don't demand the fob themselves or point a gun at you and say "start it up".

Not all carjackers are as dumb as those idiots that tried to take that Corvette.
Old 01-30-13, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Corvette.html

'I had to tell him four different times to push in the clutch!'
Carjacking victim escapes because gang of thieves couldn’t drive his stick shift Corvette
That story was on the PBS evening news last night...they did a good piece on it. IMO, if it had not been an attempted crime, it would have been funny.
Old 01-30-13, 12:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

When I was a student , I was shopping at a 7-11 when I put my car keys on the counter while getting coins to pay , and l went outside with the snacks I bought ( not leaving immediately) , but soon I realized I left my keys inside , but when I went back in , a few minutes later , they were gone , and when I asked the sales clerk , nobody reported picking them up ... So I had to phone friends for a ride back home to get the spare keys .

A few days later after midnight , I was woke up by the police at my apartment , saying some native Indian was seen trying to steal my car , but apparently can't drive stick shift , so the car was rammed to the wall in the garage at verylow speed , somebody actually saw it and called the police , reporting the thief running away from the car after it hit the wall , there was no visible damage , and the keys I lost were left on the ignition ......

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-30-13 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 12:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow good story, andrew. crazy stuff but can't say i am surprised...
Old 01-30-13, 02:03 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe it!! Perhaps those with manual transmission cars should get an additional discount on insurance? Like some do for ABS or an alarm.

Seems having a manual tranny on your car makes for a pretty good theft deterrent! Well at least when it comes to the car being driven off!
Old 01-31-13, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
When I was a student , I was shopping at a 7-11 when I put my car keys on the counter while getting coins to pay , and l went outside with the snacks I bought ( not leaving immediately) , but soon I realized I left my keys inside , but when I went back in , a few minutes later , they were gone , and when I asked the sales clerk , nobody reported picking them up ... So I had to phone friends for a ride back home to get the spare keys .

A few days later after midnight , I was woke up by the police at my apartment , saying some native Indian was seen trying to steal my car , but apparently can't drive stick shift , so the car was rammed to the wall in the garage at verylow speed , somebody actually saw it and called the police , reporting the thief running away from the car after it hit the wall , there was no visible damage , and the keys I lost were left on the ignition ......
I generally don't believe in stereotypes, Andrew, but, nevertheless, from what I've seen, a lot (but not all) of the type of people who typically hang out around and use 7-11s don't strike me as among the world's most virtuous. The number of convienence-store-holdups alone shows what a risky place they can be.

That shady group, though, doesn't necessarily refer to those that typically wait at 7-11 stores for employers to come by and offer them daily jobs. Those people (many of them immigrants) are just looking for a day's work, nothing else.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-31-13 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-31-13, 09:55 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I miss driving a stick shift
Old 01-31-13, 10:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I miss driving a stick shift
You must live in a low-traffic environment (or, of course, have memories of one). Ever-Increasing traffic congestion and stop/go driving is the main reasons that traditional three-pedal manuals have been on the wane. There just isn't a huge market for them any more, outside of some of the auto press and enthusiasts.
Old 01-31-13, 10:42 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I miss driving a manual also. I lived in LA and commuted 38 miles each way to work with a manual. When you get used it there is no issue at all. Like anything else your body and muscled adapt . I miss feeling like I was driving the car as opposed to being driven
Old 01-31-13, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I miss driving a manual also. I lived in LA and commuted 38 miles each way to work with a manual. When you get used it there is no issue at all. Like anything else your body and muscled adapt . I miss feeling like I was driving the car as opposed to being driven
Do you mean LA (Louisiana) or L.A. (Los Angeles) I can't imagine anyone wanting a three-pedal manual in SoCal gridlock, unless you happen to have a particular daily commuting-route that somehow avoided the worst of that region's notorious gridlock.

(And I'm not just pointing fingers at that region either.....the D.C. area, where I myself live, is rapidly approaching the level of SoCal's traffic problems......and is already worse than L.A. in some criteria)

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-31-13 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-31-13, 09:41 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

We have moderate traffic here in the St. George area. Not nearly as bad as LA, not as bad as Vegas or Salt Lake either. I've never seen bumper to bumper on the freeway(we don't have a belt loop). The population of the St. George area is probably 130,000. The only problem is the high number of students and old folks on the road. Lots of scary drivers.

Also, I'm only 23 and still in relatively good shape.
Old 01-31-13, 10:35 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't say I agree with traffic = can't comfortably own a stick. I live in nyc and I'm perfectly fine with my 3pedal setup

after a while it's 2nd nature.
Old 02-01-13, 12:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rkyat
can't say I agree with traffic = can't comfortably own a stick. I live in nyc and I'm perfectly fine with my 3pedal setup

after a while it's 2nd nature.
pretty much. to me it's like people watching tv and complain about reaching over for the remote and ask for voice recognition instead. i have driven quite a few stick shift the past years and i get through traffic pretty much every single day. i have no problem and i still enjoy it a lot.

Quick Reply: Another potential "advantage" of knowing how to drive a stick shift?