Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

German cars among worst for engine failures

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-13, 04:28 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3800 Series I engine had 160-ish hp and yeah that was a dog above 60 or 70 mph, but the Series II and above made 200hp at 5200rpm and had more than enough power, especially compared to the 190-200hp Japanese 3.0's of the time. And I thought it was turbine smooth for the most part, maybe become just a little more mechanical sounding above 5k.

Earlier Toyota 1MZ-FE engines had the oil sludge issue and needed timing belts, Nissan VQ's loved to go through knock and other sensors all the time requiring you to tear apart the top half of the engine, and the Honda J-series have been reliable but still to this day require timing belt and water pump changes at 100k miles when everybody else has gone to chains.
Old 02-03-13, 05:31 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
For some cars in this list (especially #1 and #2, could part of the reason be that the owners are driving them way too hard?)

And hang on, why is Porsche even there? AFAIK, out of all the German auto brands, Porsche should be the most reliable.

I can understand a VW being on that list...........but not a Porsche.
Bosch makes HPFPs for Porsche just like they made the unit that was widely deemed to be a significant contributing factor to the N54/335i problems. When suppliers make parts for so many different cars as is common in today's automotive world, there is always the chance that quality issues at a given supplier will affect multiple models.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I did not intend to imply that Bosch was responsible for the problems in the 335i. Given the number of people who replaced HPFPs (occasionally multiple times), I'm convinced there were multiple design flaws on BMW's part.

Last edited by gengar; 02-03-13 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-03-13, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
^^^^^ this. natnut thinks its still 1984
Actually, relatively few cars had turbos in 1984, at least compared to today. And, of course, engineers did not have much experience integrating turbos back then. There was long lag-time, short turbo-lives, and a number of special operating procedures (and oils) required. Even now, they still require some special sercice and operating procedures.....just less-so than in the past. The part that I disagree with, though, is that turbos are causing recent engine fires...from what I can tell, electronic gremlins, especially in the German makes, seem to be the main culprit.
Old 02-05-13, 02:38 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
I just had a Ford Escape Ecoboost for 30 days as rental and I can attest that there was no artificial non-progressive boost or turbo lag anytime. Times have changed, and Ford has done a marvelous job with the ecoboost. I'll give credit where it is due.
One problem with the Ecoboost though, it's actual fuel economy is nowhere the EPA/claimed fuel economy. It might not have the turbo-lag but it's in reality slower and thirstier than a comparable larger normal aspirated engine :

There seems to be a trend where turbo/supercharged engines perform better on EPA rather than in reality.
Old 02-05-13, 05:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Some of the biggest failures and issues with German engines now are the Direct Injection systems/HPFP. Audi, VW, Mercedes(have not read as many issues), BMW, Porsche, have a lot of problems with them and they cost tons of money to fix/replace/clean. Some companies are offering extended warranties but I have read Audi is denying claims in many cases leaving owners with huge bills. Cooling systems has also been a big problem with many German engines especially in the past.
it really depends on specific engine/manufacturer.

Toyota AD diesels had issues with oil consumption due to the block design, as well as some injector issues and cat issues. But generally not turbo's or high pressure fuel pumps..

AD diesel issues have been probably the biggest unreliability issue that Toyota ever had in Europe (ZZ engines were 2nd), and yet Toyota still finishes 1st or 2nd in all these surveys... that just tells you how bad others are ;-). Cars with those engines are now backed with 8 year/115,000 miles warranties.
Old 02-05-13, 09:39 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

My limited exp. with german cars are their electronics/electrical stuff and everything else.... just no engine failures.
I don't fear their engine failures