Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Corolla official pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 06:44 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do find it surprising that Toyota created two bumpers with grills with opposite outer angles.

It's two totally different styling characteristics on the same car.

Old 06-10-13, 07:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

sooo... upper one is north america, and lower one is elsewhere? wait, the other way around?

either way, biiiig step forward.
Old 06-10-13, 07:13 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I do find it surprising that Toyota created two bumpers with grills with opposite outer angles.

It's two totally different styling characteristics on the same car.

This is the S model.

This is all other models, including Eco.
The sport S model does not get a body kit but it does get a more aggressive, longer front fascia. All other models get the shorter one without the chrome trim. So what they don't spend on the body kit, they spend on the different front end.
Old 06-10-13, 07:14 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

^It's what Mercedes did with the last-gen C-Class too with the sport and the non-sport versions. Same thing with the Corolla here, although I'm not sure which bumper is the sport version, as both look rather aggressive.

EDIT: Now that I see Sulu's reply, the upper one does look slightly sportier.
Old 06-10-13, 07:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sooo... upper one is north america, and lower one is elsewhere? wait, the other way around?

either way, biiiig step forward.
Nope, they're both US. The S is wide at the top, the base and LE trims are wide at the bottom.
Old 06-10-13, 07:26 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

The S model gets the longer, chrome-trimmed, more aggressive front spoiler, and it also seems to get signal repeaters in the mirrors, too, which the other models don't seem to have.

I also noticed what seems to be a different rear seat: the pictures shown in this thread seem to show separate, adjustable rear seat headrests. On the Toyota Canada website, a rear seat is shown that shows rear seat headrests that are part of, and extensions of the seatback, like the Camry's rear headrests.

I cannot post the picture here, but you can see it at:

http://media.toyota.ca/pr/tci/en/toy...ls-246649.aspx
Old 06-10-13, 07:32 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The S also gets a whole different gauge cluster.

S

Old 06-10-13, 08:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The sport S model does not get a body kit but it does get a more aggressive, longer front fascia. All other models get the shorter one without the chrome trim. So what they don't spend on the body kit, they spend on the different front end.
they designed different front for the sport model, not just tacky body kit, something everyone complained about before.
Old 06-10-13, 08:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

S will also have paddle shifters...
Old 06-10-13, 09:08 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The next allocation of Corolla's at dealers will be this new 2014 model. I'm excited for it.
Old 06-11-13, 07:22 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Wow I actually like it! Looks pretty good both inside and out. And wow, look at that, painted color-keyed bumpers. With the size increase they're obviously moving the Corolla more upmarket, whereas some other vehicles (RAV4) have been pushed downmarket. The LE Eco Valvematic engine does make more peak horsepower, but the regular engine actually has a bit more torque. The two engines are so close in spec that I'm wondering why Toyota is even bothering to offer different ones. Seems like a waste of money to me. Anyways I'm sure this will be a great seller. Look forward to seeing them on the road.

For those of you that are more Toyota savvy than me, what exactly is Valvematic? Is it continuously variable valve lift ie like BMW's Valvetronic and Nissan's Neo VVL such that you can remove the throttle plate? That would make sense then from a MPG perspective, but definitely adds cost to the engine.
Old 06-11-13, 07:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Nope, they're both US. The S is wide at the top, the base and LE trims are wide at the bottom.
wow, that's kinda odd... the narrower bottom / wider top on the S looks, to me at least, less sporty than the regular one.
Old 06-11-13, 08:28 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
For those of you that are more Toyota savvy than me, what exactly is Valvematic? Is it continuously variable valve lift [and duration, in addition to variable valve timing] ie like BMW's Valvetronic and Nissan's Neo VVL such that you can remove the throttle plate? That would make sense then from a MPG perspective, but definitely adds cost to the engine.
Exactly. It provides more power AND better fuel efficiency (although the peak torque is lower than the non-Valvematic engine, the torque curve is likely flatter across a broader range). It has been used on the ZR engines (Corolla and RAV4) in Europe for a few years now.
Old 06-11-13, 05:58 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doublehh03
Fleet sales for the Corolla was 23% last year? Wow. Probably higher this year. I'm sure Toyota wants that to go down to like 10%.
Why would they want it to go down? A sale is a sale regardless of if it's to a fleet or not.
Old 06-11-13, 06:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
For those of you that are more Toyota savvy than me, what exactly is Valvematic? Is it continuously variable valve lift ie like BMW's Valvetronic and Nissan's Neo VVL such that you can remove the throttle plate? That would make sense then from a MPG perspective, but definitely adds cost to the engine.
yep.

Torque is also delivered 400 rpm lower.

Those are very fuel efficient engines, Valvematic has been on sale in Europe for 4-5 years I think.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corolla official pics!