Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla accuses New York Times of faking a Model S road test: Big Oil dollars at work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 02:25 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's definitely an "early adopter's" vehicle, so it's not perfect. it hasn't had a century of refinement and trial-and-error like combustion engine cars.

so it's got a ways to go and it's not for most people, but all the issues and successes learned will only make it better over time, provided tesla doesn't run out of money, and that seems unlikely. although last time i checked, their stock price was absurdly high.

the nyt's reporter may have changed the 'truth' to evade his rushing the test, not doing the test properly, and probably rushing for an editorial deadline.

but yeah, Allen's right - plenty of stupidity to go around here. and musk is not the best p.r. person. he prefers only talking to true believers.
I totally agree. Driving the RAV4 EV has proven to me that driving an EV requires certain habits and a different lifestyle. I drove it when it was in the low 30's in the morning here in CA (I know, that's not totally freezing cold weather, but it's still pretty cold) and the car would get cranky and noisy at first. But once it warmed up, it started to act more normal, the heat worked better, the battery wasn't draining as quickly, etc.

The EV i drove (for about 2 weeks) had a range of approx 100 miles on a full charge. I live 30 miles from work, so it was a 60 mile drive each day. I would take it home on a full charge, and bring it back with approx half a charge left. I'd have to leave it plugged in for about 5 hours to get it back to full charge, depending on the temperature. It was always in the back of my mind that I had a limited amount of charge left, and I made sure to look up local charging stations, just in-case. (at the time, i didn't have anywhere to plug mine in at home)

Using the radio, headlights/foglamps, heater, etc would drain the battery much quicker than not using any of them. Driving faster than 60mph would also drain the battery, noticeably faster. I typically would leave the radio on, but the display on the nav screen was off. I'd have the heater on just to warm up the car a bit, but then turn it off after maybe 5-10 minutes. I had to think about things that I normally take for granted in a gas vehicle.

EVs certainly aren't for everybody, and they can be hard to work with, but I think they will only get better with time. Or at least, I hope
Old 02-19-13, 03:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default New York Times admits Tesla Model S writer didn't use "good judgment"

New York Times admits Tesla Model S writer didn't use "good judgment"

And, lo, in the case of John Broder vs. Elon Musk, The New York Times is admitting defeat. A little bit. Sort of.

Yesterday, the NYT's public editor, Margaret Sullivan, wrote the official Times response to the very public dispute between the newspaper's reporter, John Broder – who wrote a story about how a Tesla Model S failed him on a trip up the east coast – and Tesla CEO Elon Musk, who called that original story a fake and then dumped a bunch of data from the car's log to show why he used that word. Editor Sullivan admits the drive "did not go well." In the aftermath, she says she tried to look at the facts in an unbiased fashion, eventually determining that Broder was not precise enough at times and did "not especially" use "good judgment along the way." Musk is at fault, too, she says, for using the car's driving logs "in the most damaging (and sometimes quite misleading) ways possible, as he defended his vehicle's reputation." Sullivan also says she believes Broder, "took on the test drive in good faith, and told the story as he experienced it" even as he "left himself open to valid criticism by taking what seem to be casual and imprecise notes along the journey."

This whole story, of course, is really about the fact that electric vehicles suffer a drop in range in cold weather, which matters more than in normal cars since there is less range to begin with (not to mention it takes longer to refuel an EV's energy reserves than it does its liquid-fueled counterparts). There are a number of factors in play, but Tesla has said range drop in the Model S is about 10 percent (which, interestingly enough, is about the same as what vehicles powered by gasoline engines suffer in such weather).

Consumer Reports has an interesting article up about learning how to adjust to cold-weather changes in its Model S, including a tale similar to Broder's about running the car down to the "charge now" warning screen, but the institute managed to make it to their destination. CR writes, "To its credit, the Model S delivered 176 miles from a full charge in cold weather – considerably more than any other EV on the planet. While it was in line with what the car predicted, it proved well short of the rated 240 miles the car promised when I started, let alone the 265 estimated by the EPA or the 300 touted by Tesla."

Meanwhile, over in take-a-step-back-ville, Grist suggests that the entire public dispute is a "sideshow" and that:
It is probably true that electric cars will never be able to replace gas cars, if the cars themselves – the widgets – are the only thing we replace. The entire system was designed and built around ICE cars. Turns out it's difficult to build a luxurious, two-ton armored tank that can travel 300 miles on a quick-charging battery pack. The problem, however, is not merely that our cars consume too much oil. It's that our transportation system consumes too much oil. A better system won't merely involve better cars, it will involve driving less, telecommuting more, using more public transportation, sharing cars, making cars smarter, and building more and better electrical infrastructure.

This story is far from over, even though the facts and he-said/he-said nature of the situation seem to be solidifying. Late tomorrow, Tesla will hold its quarterly earnings call, and we're going to bet this incident will come up. One interesting tidbit we learned in a preview article of that call is that Musk earns only $33,000 a year from his part-time CEO role at Tesla (he splits his time between Tesla and SpaceX). No one ever said changing the way the world drives was going to be easy... or instantly profitable.
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/19...-didnt-use-go/
Old 02-19-13, 04:12 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I'm sure there's 100X more regular ole electrical 110v outlets than gas stations in the USA...
I can actually picture myself pulling into a gas station/truck stop, and finding an outlet outside.... and then going inside and schmoozing with the owner or clerk for a half hour...

Still... this is a pain and a problem for these cars. I really hate to think how bad it'll be for the owners when the batteries need replacement every few years... ugh
Old 02-19-13, 05:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
I can actually picture myself pulling into a gas station/truck stop, and finding an outlet outside.... and then going inside and schmoozing with the owner or clerk for five hours...
.... fixed.
Old 02-19-13, 06:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Given all the new information we've gotten with respect to the test, I have to disagree completely. It's hard to believe Broder 'didn't do the test properly' when most of his actions were a direct result of instructions he got over the phone from Tesla staff. As I mentioned above, IMO the real assault on truth by the NYT was covering up for Tesla. The original article doesn't mention that the NYT felt compelled to submit their drive plan to Tesla for vetting, or that Tesla had a full team of engineers were constantly monitoring telemetry from the drive, or that Broder called Tesla ~12 times during the test for technical support. And we are learning new things now from other articles, like Tesla doing live firmware updates on test cars to try to fix range issues. It's just amazing the PR bubble Tesla has created. How much more stuff are we not hearing about? Most of the reports we read don't mention anything, but from the NYT and others, we know it's there.
very interesting, thanks for the counterpoint.

while i'm impressed by what tesla has accomplished, and elon musk is a pretty amazing guy especially for spacex, there's something i find creepy about him, like he's not being honest, or actually that he's seething with rage underneath - he's always making thinly veiled comments about politics and ruining the planet and a general contempt for humanity.
Old 02-19-13, 09:04 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegresS
EVs certainly aren't for everybody, and they can be hard to work with, but I think they will only get better with time. Or at least, I hope
Well they have to get better with time - battery technology can only get better. The two issues right now with EVs are how big batteries are and how heavy batteries are. As the energy per unit volume of a battery goes up and the weight per unit energy of a battery goes down, EVs will get far, far more range and be far more adaptable to mainstream use. Availability of charging stations or the impact on the electric grid are secondary issues IMO. If there is demand for EVs, charging stations and an improved electric grid will naturally follow.

Of course, battery adoption issues such as with the Boeing 787 and its Lithium-ion batteries also demonstrate the difficulties in advancing battery technology.
Old 02-20-13, 05:43 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
New York Times admits Tesla Model S writer didn't use "good judgment"

The writer should have stuck to his original topic, charging stations and status of new generation charging devices. Instead, he ran into range issues, and thought he had a better story, but didn't have the notes and documentation to back it up. Tesla on the other hand, had telemetry data. Both parties mishandled the outcome once the article was published.
Old 02-20-13, 08:55 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
New York Times admits Tesla Model S writer didn't use "good judgment"[/SIZE]

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/19...-didnt-use-go/
Looks like NY times is pulling a Mitt Romney (member him?) by flip floping on their "stance".
Shady writer is getting walked to the plank as the story unfoldes and it's only a matter of time they pull the wood out under his feet.
Old 02-26-13, 12:28 PM
Hoovey689

Default Musk says New York Times debacle may have cost Tesla $100 million

Musk says New York Times debacle may have cost Tesla $100 million

Despite the old chestnut that there's no such thing as bad publicity, there's always a cost incurred – sometimes it's hidden, and sometimes it's front and center. Enigmatic Tesla CEO Elon Musk seems to think his company's now-infamous Model S range dustup with The New York Times is falling squarely into the latter category. According to Musk, fallout from the back-and-forth battle over the newspaper's cold-weather road trip story may have decimated Tesla's stock value by as much as $100 million. Musk believes the report resulted in a lot of cancelled orders, probably costing Tesla "a few hundred" Model S purchases.

According to the report, Tesla's shares have tumbled some 12 percent (going from $39.24 to $34.38) since the report was published. Bloomberg further notes that the company's market capitalization has skidded by around $553 million over that same period. With the company's stock-market value pegged at $3.91 billion, $100m represents a not insignificant chunk of money to Tesla.

So how does Musk feel about embattled Times writer John Broder, whose controversial report he previously called "fake"? During the interview with Bloomberg TV, which you can watch below, Musk opines, "I don't think it should be the end of his career – I don't even think necessarily he should be fired – but I do think he fudged an article." No word has surfaced about any actions taken against Broder after the Times' public editor admitted he did "not especially" exercise "good judgement" in the course of his reporting.

There's a lot of interesting ground covered in the Musk interview, including a discussion on the impact of early adopters on Model S sales, as well as how demand might be affected if the federal $7,500 tax credit were to end.

Source and Video:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/26/m...ost-tesla-100/
Old 02-27-13, 01:43 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by autoblog
According to Musk, fallout from the back-and-forth battle over the newspaper's cold-weather road trip story may have decimated Tesla's stock value by as much as $100 million.
And how much of that was Musk's fault?

As I said before, this whole thing was a PR nightmare for Tesla. That nightmare started because of the way that Musk decided to handle the situation. By directly (and recklessly) attacking Broder's credibility, he forced Broder's hand in revealing how much direct support from Tesla was involved in the NYT road test, how NYT actually demonstrated pro-Tesla bias in failing to report that involvement, and how much of Broder's issues were actually Tesla's fault.

I also think it's amazing that people still blame the NYT/Broder for anti-Tesla bias or shoddy reporting.

Last edited by gengar; 02-27-13 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 02:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
And how much of that was Musk's fault?

As I said before, this whole thing was a PR nightmare for Tesla. That nightmare started because of the way that Musk decided to handle the situation. By directly (and recklessly) attacking Broder's credibility, he forced Broder's hand in revealing how much direct support from Tesla was involved in the NYT road test, how NYT actually demonstrated pro-Tesla bias in failing to report that involvement, and how much of Broder's issues were actually Tesla's fault.

I also think it's amazing that people still blame the NYT/Broder for anti-Tesla bias or shoddy reporting.
and tesla made some improvements to model s after that too... fixed the bug in software for estimated miles left and made nav route to the charging station properly.
Old 02-27-13, 05:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

if tesla cars are great, they'll get beyond one cluster-review.
Old 02-27-13, 06:09 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

If Elon Musk was in the business of screwing around with customers, he wouldn't have risked everything on electric cars and space programs, and solar panels.

This is a genuine man that wants to change the world.
Old 02-27-13, 09:36 PM
Hoovey689

Default Musk vows to repay Tesla's federal loans in five years, not ten

Musk vows to repay Tesla's federal loans in five years, not ten

Tesla Chief Elon Musk says his company will repay its US Department of Energy loans within five years, Automotive News reports. That's way, way ahead of the 10-year deadline the electric-vehicle maker was originally given to pay back the $465-million loan it got from the feds.

Musk says better-than-expected results are responsible for cutting the planned payback time in half, something that had been talked about late last year. Earlier this month, Musk said the first-quarter of 2013 will be Tesla's first profitable one. The company, which recently ramped up to its full production capacity of 400 Model S sedans a week, delivered about 2,400 of them during the fourth quarter, making it the fourth most-popular US plug-in car in that time frame.

Tesla will evidently speed up its repayment with no thanks to the The New York Times, which caused an uproar when it reported that the Model S' single-charge range was far less than advertised. Musk disputed the report, which was then called into question by other publications and the Times' own public editor. Musk estimated that the original article cut Tesla's stock value by as much as $100 million and may have swayed "a few hundred" into canceling orders for their new electric car.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/27...years-not-ten/
Old 02-27-13, 10:42 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm seeing a lot of these cars here in so cal LA area. Isn't there a owners forums to get some real life feedback on this car?

Quick Reply: Tesla accuses New York Times of faking a Model S road test: Big Oil dollars at work?