Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comparison: Hyundai Azera vs. Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV vs. Toyota Avalon Limited

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 07:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
While I agree that market share is generally a better gauge of success than volume, the problem is that the definition and the boundary of the Avalon's market segment is not a stable one, and that the number of players in its segment has changed over the years, especially now that it arguably includes even the ES.
well right now, Avalon is going up, ES is going up, both 50%.

I think someone is high-fiving each other in TMC HQ.
Old 02-15-13, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

There are less entries in this field as well. Any reason they didn't include the Buick LaCrosse?

Good question. The LaCrosse does one-up the others in this test by offering AWD. But, unlike the Regal and Verano, its overall build-quality and solidness, particularly inside, IMO, is not impressive. The Regal and Verano both come off of German Opel platforms (and large parts of the dash/interiors are amost identical). That''s not the case with the glitzy LaCrosse.

The new Chevy Impala could also, IMO, make good competitor for both the new Avalon and Azera. I looked at one at the D.C. show (don't know if you saw my Car-Chat thread on it or not), and I found it very impressive. Buick would be wise to base their next LaCrosse on this platform. I plan to at least test-drive (if not review) a new Impala soon.
Old 02-15-13, 10:53 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Any reason they didn't include the Buick LaCrosse?
This is a comparo of large cars. The LaCrosse is midsized per EPA's classification, as well as the last-gen ES, which it used to compete with. The new ES however gets bumped into the large car classification with an increase of 20 cu. ft. in interior volume, so it's now competing head-to-head with the Avalon and other large cars.

Last edited by ydooby; 02-15-13 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-15-13, 01:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ydooby
This is a comparo of large cars. The LaCrosse is midsized per EPA's classification, as well as the last-gen ES, which it used to compete with. The new ES however gets bumped into the large car classification with an increase of 20 cu. ft. in interior volume, so it's now competing head-to-head with the Avalon and other large cars.
I assume that is based on interior volume as the Lacross dimensions are huge from an exterior standpoint. I found the rear large.

They should have waited to throw in the RLX

Old 02-15-13, 01:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

In the article they mentioned they had already tested the LaCrosse along with ES350 and Azera, which won by a whisker in their words.

Maybe they felt it wasn't necessary to test the LaCrosse again.
Old 02-15-13, 03:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe they should go compare these cars to a Dodge Charger or Chrysler 300. For $42,000 as tested for that Avalon, you can have a 470hp v8 model. Or a really good v6 if you want better fuel economy for about 35k loaded. I'd buy one of those over the still ugly and fuddy-duddy Avalon.

Last edited by Aron9000; 02-15-13 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-15-13, 07:22 PM
LexFather

Well I think all 3 here look great inside and out and what great options. Saw a loaded Avalon again today and it has great lines. I feel then Maxima has aged very well. The Azera reminds me of their version of the ES and I like it as well.