Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 10:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, nothing I've ever heard in a production car can beat the Lexus LS460's Mark Levinson system. For sheer impressiveness, it borders on insane....though, to prevent hearing damage, I don't listen at high-decibel-levels.
Mike,I've heard the ML in the LS.You must listen to the B&O in a newer Audi A8's.It's fantastic.
The Burmester sound system in the '14 S Class is said to be great too.
Old 04-15-13, 10:52 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What an awful commercial
Old 04-15-13, 10:58 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There are a lot funny posts here. Honestly most of the luxury car companies rape you on unnecessary options and features so what’s the big deal. Most you don’t even purchase a loaded car anyway. A lot that stuff isn’t even necessary.
But it's definately nice to have.
For example the only time I turn on the night vision in my car is when I’m on a date and that’s just to impress a female. I turn on the dynamic seat feature probably once every two months just to make sure it still works. Anyone that knows anything about Acura knows that they usually don’t offer a lot options. Well they use to sell all their cars loaded with or without a Nav.
Options are not the problem with this vehicle. The problem with this car is the exterior. I saw one at the Acura dealer on Friday and I didn’t even go over and take a look. I guess things have change for me. If the car isn’t a coupe or doesn’t have at least 400hp I don’t even bother paying attention anymore. Unless it's something special.
I’m not saying the car isn’t nice but it’s just not my cup of tea.
Old 04-15-13, 11:07 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That new RLX commercial is god awful! The advertising agency who created that commercial should be fired at once.

It's like screaming "I'm Luxury, I'm Luxury, I'm Luxury!" Remind me of a child who screams at the top of his lungs and completely in denial.

If this is the best Acura can do, this new model is doomed already.
Old 04-15-13, 11:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rogers2
There are a lot funny posts here. Honestly most of the luxury car companies rape you on unnecessary options and features so what’s the big deal. Most you don’t even purchase a loaded car anyway. A lot that stuff isn’t even necessary.
But it's definately nice to have.
For example the only time I turn on the night vision in my car is when I’m on a date and that’s just to impress a female. I turn on the dynamic seat feature probably once every two months just to make sure it still works. Anyone that knows anything about Acura knows that they usually don’t offer a lot options. Well they use to sell all their cars loaded with or without a Nav.
Options are not the problem with this vehicle. The problem with this car is the exterior. I saw one at the Acura dealer on Friday and I didn’t even go over and take a look. I guess things have change for me. If the car isn’t a coupe or doesn’t have at least 400hp I don’t even bother paying attention anymore. Unless it's something special.
I’m not saying the car isn’t nice but it’s just not my cup of tea.
What do you mean funny posts here? Everyone with a brain called it a failure as soon as spy photos were confused with the Accord spy photos. The reviews are calling the RLX for what it is, a joke if they want to compete with the Germans and Lexus. It seems the vast majority of people from the internet (the FEW talking about it) to the experts agree this is a pretty poor effort when you take into account it is the LAST entry here. They had nearly 9 years to fix the RL and all they do is de-content the RL and make it bigger into a RLX.

The RLX is now turned into a XTS competitor except the XTS seems to be better and cheaper. The experts and those of us in the market all say the same thing, there is no way to justify the cars price, it is on par with Avalons, etc. Past Acura's used to offer "value" at least a loaded car for less money. The new ones, the ILX and RLX offer clearly less for the same money now. The "value" is completely gone (though I never saw offering less for less as value).

Lets compare the RLX to the GS. Lexus doesn't base the GS off the Camry, the GS was taken completely back to the drawing board with an all new platform. The reviews for the GS were glowing with praise as an incredible sports luxury sedan and many feel its sportiest in class. Even if you don't care about sport, the GS offers arguably the best interior in class. It offers more technology than the RLX. Compare this to Acura, who "say" they want to be compared to the Germans and Lexus but its the same old tired formula that DOES NOT WORK.Making your "flagship" look like an Accord DOES NOT WORK. Basing it off the Accord "DOES NOT WORK".

The 2005 RL offered 300hp, HIDs, SH-AWD and a pretty loaded car for 50k. THe 2013 RLX offers 310hp (10 more hp), FWD, LED's and fake leather standard for 50k. They are going to make people pay 65-70k for an Acura no one will buy when AWD/hybrid comes. No one buys 50k ones, they think they are going to sell a 70k one?

The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Maybe one of the reviewers is right in assuming many Acura doesn't really care or mean to compete in this class and can make money on the few loyal buyers who prefer an inferior car b/c they love Honda.

Old 04-15-13, 12:32 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What I find funny is how a lot of people on here are complaining about options when I don't find all the options necessary. I'm pretty sure this car comes standard with a lot more options than most lowly purchase E class and 5 series.
Everyone knows Acura has half *** the RL for years. Even my 14 year old son can tell me that. I just don't think the problem with the RLX is the options and interior. The problem is the exterior. The car doesn't scream luxury. Truthfully neither does the GS without the right package.
It's a reason people still purchase the lower E class & 5 series with the package. Yes it's a lot of brand hoXX. But with the right package imo those cars still simply look better.
Old 04-15-13, 01:26 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
What I find funny is how a lot of people on here are complaining about options when I don't find all the options necessary. I'm pretty sure this car comes standard with a lot more options than most lowly purchase E class and 5 series.
Everyone knows Acura has half *** the RL for years. Even my 14 year old son can tell me that. I just don't think the problem with the RLX is the options and interior. The problem is the exterior. The car doesn't scream luxury. Truthfully neither does the GS without the right package.
It's a reason people still purchase the lower E class & 5 series with the package. Yes it's a lot of brand hoXX. But with the right package imo those cars still simply look better.
Funny you said that, cuz I recently optioned out a RLX just to see what options I'll get for the Price of $61,345 (Loaded with Advance Pkg).

You said,
a lot of people on here are complaining about options when I don't find all the options necessary.
For instance, just ONE of many but I will name ONE just for the sake to debating. The "Auto-dimming side mirrors", very useful in when driving at night in a sea of Suv's and trucks with their higher stance which their head-light is pointed right at your mirror. These auto-dimming came STANDARD on my 1999 GS400, but If i want the "Auto-dimming mirrors" on the the RLX, I have to Opt for the ADVANCE PKG which is the Highest Option just to include something that should be STANDARD on a "Luxury" car.. How's that complaining when Honda/Acura doesn't have a clue what Luxury is...??

Do we need to continue with other options listed..?
Old 04-15-13, 01:34 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, I like that RLX commercial. That modern house is nice.

The car, not so much. Like the current RL, it will make a great reliable used car at half the price.
Old 04-16-13, 07:09 PM
jmsmiff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I've been nothing but loyal to the RL brand as I have owned 6 Legends and 2 RL's both 04's. The RLX is a major bust. My 04 LS430 still feels like a better car. The only thing Acura has going for itself is their technology....Lexus is severely lagging in this department. The best RL made was the 04; period! 05 and up was strictly technology with a little more horsepower. I was seriously hoping I would like the RLX but, I don't. I'll keep my 04 RL, its paid for. My LS430 and 460L will be staying as well. My next investment will be a 6MT TL. If only Lexus could get their act together with their navi system
Old 04-16-13, 07:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jmsmiff
Unfortunately I've been nothing but loyal to the RL brand as I have owned 6 Legends and 2 RL's both 04's. The RLX is a major bust. My 04 LS430 still feels like a better car. The only thing Acura has going for itself is their technology....Lexus is severely lagging in this department. The best RL made was the 04; period! 05 and up was strictly technology with a little more horsepower. I was seriously hoping I would like the RLX but, I don't. I'll keep my 04 RL, its paid for. My LS430 and 460L will be staying as well. My next investment will be a 6MT TL. If only Lexus could get their act together with their navi system

Lexus has far more technology than Acura, its not even close. Just b/c they name a "Technology" package doesn't mean it's technology. Debuting firsts for them is late since everyone else did it years ago.

I used our NAV system today. I called the destination assist, a lovely operator came on and downloaded my destination for me. That's technology.

Seriously what technology? Cooled heats on an advance package?

Old 04-17-13, 12:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Lexus has far more technology than Acura, its not even close. Just b/c they name a "Technology" package doesn't mean it's technology. Debuting firsts for them is late since everyone else did it years ago.

I used our NAV system today. I called the destination assist, a lovely operator came on and downloaded my destination for me. That's technology.

Seriously what technology? Cooled heats on an advance package?
Are they actually cooled or just ventilated? LS and LX are the only cooled ones. ES, IS, GS, RX, GX iirc are all ventilated
Old 04-17-13, 08:16 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do realize a lowly Chevrolet with an Onstar subscription can do that, since 2008!
Old 04-17-13, 09:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Maybe one of the reviewers is right in assuming many Acura doesn't really care or mean to compete in this class and can make money on the few loyal buyers who prefer an inferior car b/c they love Honda.
and maybe one day you'll stop comparing acura and lexus since they don't really compete with one another.

you even said it yourself (in the same post!)...

The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.
and...

Originally Posted by mrraider
You do realize a lowly Chevrolet with an Onstar subscription can do that, since 2008!
... cadillacs since about 2000 or earlier.
Old 04-17-13, 11:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
Good point, mrraider. But, after the first few complimentary months, that service, on a new GM car, doesn't come free. Like with the XM satellite radio, You pay for it.....though you can choose which level of service you want to pay for.
Old 04-17-13, 11:16 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to be honest when I first saw this car on commercial and in pics, I couldn't tell if it was the new ILX, RSX, or the TSX. It just doesn't strike as a big presence sedan.

Personally I mind as well just get a TSX, they all look the same now. Or is the ILX the TSX now ? the lines are too blurred now.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX