Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-13, 06:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Outrage
The RLX also includes wrong-wheel-drive, standard.

First full month of sales were 400 units..in contrast the GS sold 2800 units its first month. The unicorn humpers thinking the hybrid is going to make a difference missed the part where Honda stated it will account for 10% of sales, so that is another 40 units.... and even if sales go up to say 800 units (double) that is only 80 units. Well looking at the competition's low sales good luck with that.

This could be a bigger disaster than the Rl 400 units is nothing, the Equus nearly sells that many and its more expensive and a Hyundai for crying out loud.

The car has absolutely no buzz at all. Its currently not sold in Japan, I don't think Europe and maybe just China, the USA and Canada so its not like volume is picking up elsewhere.

They literally have a cat advertising "Paws" in China...lmfao Instead of coming with a proper new RWD platform they try to mask FWD with PAWS which sounds no better than sh-awd. Well there are RWD cars that offer rear wheel steering so PAWS is just a bandaid.

http://www.acura.com.cn/technology/paws/index.html

Last edited by LexFather; 05-05-13 at 06:36 PM.

Old 05-05-13, 08:02 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL

10 chars...
Old 05-06-13, 06:12 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

First full month of sales were 400 units..in contrast the GS sold 2800 units its first month. The unicorn humpers thinking the hybrid is going to make a difference missed the part where Honda stated it will account for 10% of sales, so that is another 40 units.... and even if sales go up to say 800 units (double) that is only 80 units. Well looking at the competition's low sales good luck with that.

This could be a bigger disaster than the Rl 400 units is nothing, the Equus nearly sells that many and its more expensive and a Hyundai for crying out loud.

The car has absolutely no buzz at all. Its currently not sold in Japan, I don't think Europe and maybe just China, the USA and Canada so its not like volume is picking up elsewhere.

They literally have a cat advertising "Paws" in China...lmfao Instead of coming with a proper new RWD platform they try to mask FWD with PAWS which sounds no better than sh-awd. Well there are RWD cars that offer rear wheel steering so PAWS is just a bandaid.

http://www.acura.com.cn/technology/paws/index.html
Honda/Acura is treating consumers like idiots. all they brag about is the PAWS, direct injection, and even 6 speed auto, don't they know some $20k commuter cars already have these features ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO.
Old 05-06-13, 09:06 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
Honda/Acura is treating consumers like idiots. all they brag about is the PAWS, direct injection, and even 6 speed auto, don't they know some $20k commuter cars already have these features ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO.
And any customers who bought one rightfully deserved to be treated like one by those dealerships

I have yet to see one around here where I see genesis and equus a lot more....so sad for honda not learning their lesson
Old 05-06-13, 09:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
acura knows they're not in the same league as bmw/mb/lexus, but that doesn't mean they can't compare to models of comparable size/price.
No. That's just the problem. Based on the numerous conversations I've had with Acuas reps and auto-show people, they don't seem to realize that they don't (or can't) compete with Tier-1 luxo-brands. These people actually believe that vehicles like the ZDX and ILX are competitive, and simply won't admit what is obvious, even whan it stares them in the face.

I went through much of the same problem, years ago, in the 1990's, with the Oldsmobile reps. I repeatedly pointed out the poor fit/finish of their cars, indifferent assembly-quality, and row after row of identical, hard-to-decipher buttons.....arguably even more confusing, IMO, than those in other same-era GM products.

I told them that, if their cars didn't change substantially, they may not last much longer....that his was a very serious matter, and that they could not afford to brush me off as irrelevant. Well, at the show-level, that's exactly what they did...took exception to what I was saying and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. Maybe they didn't totally ignore me, though, because I noticed that, a couple of years later, some significant dash-improvements were made (including better analog instruments), but, by then, it might have been too late....the brand was in a death-spiral, and died in 2004.

But.....back to Acura. That doesn't mean that all Acura products are uncompetitive. The MDX and TL, IMO, despite the TL's somewhat awkward looks, do compete well with their competition.

and the term 'flagship' is actually quite stupid.

for porsche, is the 'flagship' the 911, the panamera, or the cayenne?
You bring up an interesting point that it is harder than is usual with most brands to actually determine a Porsche "Flagship". Size-wize, it would probably be the Panamera Turbo. In terms of what it can actulally do, of course, the Cayenne Turbo. And price-wise, of course, there have been some super-expensive models like the GT2, GT3, and the half-million-dollar Carrera GT.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-06-13 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 02:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The majority of ads for the new RLX first state the car comes with jeweled headlamps. Really? You are going to promote your all new top car by first talking about headlights? Is that the big ace up Acura's sleeve? (yes, sadly it is)

Next!
Old 05-06-13, 05:00 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The majority of ads for the new RLX first state the car comes with jeweled headlamps. Really? You are going to promote your all new top car by first talking about headlights? Is that the big ace up Acura's sleeve? (yes, sadly it is)

Next!
I don't think it is fair to look down on Acura's choice to market their headlights extensively. For one, Audi did the same thing back in the early stages of LED lighting. Even though they weren't the first to come out with LEDs on cars (LS 600h L was), they were pretty proud of their LED strips.

http://www.audihenderson.com/led-lig...technology.htm

Headlights are almost like jewelry for many automakers. I think it is understandable to be proud of them.

Angel eyes/Xenon on BMW
Lexus/Audi's LEDS

To Acura's defense, I think the jewel headlights are a step up from the conventional LEDs that have become oh-so-pedestrian. See a pair of the RLX headlights in real life at night, youll see the difference in lighting quality is VERY apparent.
Old 05-06-13, 06:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by trexlexus
I don't think it is fair to look down on Acura's choice to market their headlights extensively. For one, Audi did the same thing back in the early stages of LED lighting. Even though they weren't the first to come out with LEDs on cars (LS 600h L was), they were pretty proud of their LED in lighting quality is VERY apparent.
Fizzboy is right. Acura focusing on headlights is the same lame tactic infiniti used for the discontinued q45 and it was a horrible idea. They both tried to promote a technology used by the leaders YEARS ago. To top it off the headlights are just ugly, who want 20 lens's? It simply looks ridiculous.

Contrarily Audi pioneered led Drl's (which the accord has but no Acura lol) and audi and Lexus pushed led headlights to the forefront since 2007!!!

You can't compare audi and Acura, audi marketing is pretty brilliant today and Acura is horrid. Then it's the "product stupid" as the saying goes. Audis product is vastly superior.

Old 05-06-13, 06:58 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

To top it off the headlights are just ugly, who want 20 lens's? It simply looks ridiculous.
To say that the headlights are ridiculous looking is an opinion. You may think the headlights look dumb, I'm not gonna argue because that is your opinion. Perhaps you have not seen them in real life. Personally, I think they look marvelous. Much more road presence than any other stock headlight setup today.
You can't compare audi and Acura, audi marketing is pretty brilliant today and Acura is horrid.
I really do not see what is so wrong with accepting Acura's choice of marketing. I never compared Audi to Acura. I just mentioned that Audi harped about their headlights in the same way that Acura did.

Acura may not have the chops to duke it out with the bigger luxury brands, but I think they still deserve praise where praise is due. Every car has it's pros/cons. Some have more than others, but to just hate on this car, and not recognize any significance is a little wrong.
Old 05-06-13, 07:16 PM
LexFather

To say that the headlights are ridiculous looking is an opinion. You may think the headlights look dumb, I'm not gonna argue because that is your opinion. Perhaps you have not seen them in real life. Personally, I think they look marvelous. Much more road presence than any other stock headlight setup today.
True its an opinion and for those that know me and my tastes after over a decade know I have good taste Some people don't. That said most comments say the headlights are overdone with the beak. It is an Aesthetic nightmare.

I really do not see what is so wrong with accepting Acura's choice of marketing. I never compared Audi to Acura. I just mentioned that Audi harped about their headlights in the same way that Acura did.

Acura may not have the chops to duke it out with the bigger luxury brands, but I think they still deserve praise where praise is due. Every car has it's pros/cons. Some have more than others, but to just hate on this car, and not recognize any significance is a little wrong.
Well bud Acura is well aware of their own issues. The current RLX ads are from the OLD ad agency, they just switched to a new one (see links below). However it still comes down to the product and in this hot segment the RLX seems like something that could have debuted 10 years ago. I think the poster above got it right saying their new products are simply for fanboys of the brands (also stated in a couple of reviews) b/c all the new products, the ILX, RDX, RLX are quite average at best and even poor. The RDX sells b/c its a nice bland SUV in the perfect segment for a vehicle. Sedans are a harder sell. No one can argue they are class leading in anyway.

http://www.boston.com/businessupdate...jlK/story.html

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=7131-en

Its like a decade long "I told you so" party

Old 05-06-13, 07:28 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 05-06-13, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

those that know me and my tastes after over a decade know I have good taste
In my book, anyone who buys or leases a car they can afford has good taste....and, yes, that includes both you and me, not to mention others on this forum too.

Like they say on Operation Repo........"It ain't no joke, if you don't pay that note".

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-06-13 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 09:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It would be okay to promote special headlights as a dazzling feature or something interesting, but the fact that the RLX's are "jeweled" means absolutely nothing. Jeweled headlights (and taillights) have been around and talked about for over 15 years now. It is not a significant or new feature, or one to be headlining an all-new product with. Perhaps Acura is confused and has missed the boat with titling these units. They should have coined a name for the multi-"bulb/LED" looking thing. "Jeweled" is just a common term that has been used to describe lights and lenses from just about every manufacturer. When I hear the word "jeweled headlights," I think of what Toyota did to several older Camry models. Nothing exciting except for some fancy lenses.
Regardless of terminology, I believe Acura is stuggling to find highlights to talk about here, so they are digging.
Old 05-06-13, 10:46 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Forgive me, but i cannot find any information about Camry's jeweled headlights of old. No sarcasm is intended, im just curious to know what you are talking about.

I dont think the RLX is a ground breaking sedan by any stretch of the imagination. But the fact that this particular automaker has at least tried to go the extra mile by renovating a commonly used lighting scheme deserves some form of recognition. Most cars slap on LED strips just to fancify their exteriors without looking into creating uniqueness.

Acura is different in that their jewel eye LEDs are multi faceted and are much BRIGHTER than other LEDs. Audi just sticks a whole bunch of dots and 1 tube to their A8 fronts and calls it a day. Compare your normal run of the mill LEDs at night to the RLX's. The difference is very obvious. Normal LEDs just produce whiter light than conventional halogens. The RLX jewels actually make a very imposing bright beam onto the road.

Originally Posted by the below webpage
These headlights are polished so they have a beautiful, stunning look without needing to be turned on. But when they are on, they have outstanding clarity. 20 total lights shine in slightly different angles to cast a brilliant light both straight ahead and also down into the area that fog lights would normally cover. As a matter of fact these new headlights render fog lights obsolete.
http://www.smailautoblog.com/2013/03...eadlights.html

Again, i dont think the RLX is an extraordinary sedan, but credit should be given where it is due, and in this case, I feel the headlights do deserve praise.
Old 05-07-13, 01:20 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

You can't compare audi and Acura, audi marketing is pretty brilliant today and Acura is horrid. Then it's the "product stupid" as the saying goes. Audis product is vastly superior.
Audi's product is also vastly unreliable compared to Acura's...

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX