Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 08:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You can't compare lease deals on the outgoing G37 and the incoming all new IS. Infiniti has always gad heavily subsidized leases, they have to in order to sell their product.

Leases on the 4GS have been much better than they have been historically, I imagine they will be on the 3IS too.
I was actually talking about the outgoing IS as well. Its still expensive to get into.
Old 05-07-13, 08:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

But its gone in a few months...

These things are all supply and demand. If they can move the product without subsidizing the leases they will. Lexus can, Infiniti can't...
Old 05-07-13, 08:45 PM
LexFather

Yeah but Infiniti with BMW subsidizes leases throughout the vehicles life cycle. $300-$350 a month for a G37 was pretty normal nationwide. A local dealer I spoke to told me 80% of their Infiniti sales are leases.

Getting the RLX back in the picture, they have a $499 lease already but it didn't seem to help at all. In contrast when the last gen RL debuted its first full month it sold I believe around 2,000 or so units then quickly plummeted when the new GS and M35/45 came out 3 months later.

This new RLX sold 400 units for an entire month brand new. That is really really poor.

Old 05-07-13, 09:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The $499 lease doesn't sound bad until you see GS350 for $560... Well worth the extra $61 per month.
Old 05-07-13, 09:10 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

This new RLX sold 400 units for an entire month brand new. That is really really poor.
FYI the inventory for RLX in April was 500 I believe. B/c of the tragedy that was the RL, Acura didn't produce a lot, even for its launch.
Old 05-07-13, 09:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
The $499 lease doesn't sound bad until you see GS350 for $560... Well worth the extra $61 per month.
Yup, heck you can lease a GS for $499 as well. I honestly cannot figure out how an Accord based FWD car costs so much? This thing should cost as much as an ES. It offers less technology, a lesser platform, it isn't faster, it doesn't handle better, it doesn't ride better, it doesn't have more luxury (fake leather and no wood is STANDARD). Why does it cost so much, a bigger back seat and 20 headlights?

How on earth did they come up with this pricing? The last RL for the same price had AWD standard and was pretty loaded. Like the ILX and RDX, they are offering a de contented car for the same or more money!

Its puzzling how they figured a FWD RLX would sell at 50-60k when an AWD RL didn't.

For the same price, the GS has its own platform, more technology, more luxury, a better drive, its faster etc etc. When you get to the Germans you get a 7 series based 5 series for the same price. You get an AWD Audi A6 for the same price.

Originally Posted by doublehh03
FYI the inventory for RLX in April was 500 I believe. B/c of the tragedy that was the RL, Acura didn't produce a lot, even for its launch.
SMH, the same inventory excuse was used for the ILX which launched poorly. A brand wants to have tons of inventory since a new car is supposed to be a hot seller. The no inventory excuse is just that, an excuse. The GS sold 2800 its first full month.

Again when the RL had its first full month in fall 2005 it sold around 2k, this one 400 its first full month. Even if it goes up to 800 which would be DOUBLE that is horrible for their flagship that is supposed to tell the world "this is the best we can do".

It doesn't even make sense so you are saying 500 were here and they sold 400? Impossible, stop making excuses.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-07-13 at 09:16 PM.

Old 05-07-13, 09:24 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

SMH, the same inventory excuse was used for the ILX which launched poorly. A brand wants to have tons of inventory since a new car is supposed to be a hot seller. The no inventory excuse is just that, an excuse. The GS sold 2800 its first full month.

Again when the RL had its first full month in fall 2005 it sold around 2k, this one 400 its first full month. Even if it goes up to 800 which would be DOUBLE that is horrible for their flagship that is supposed to tell the world "this is the best we can do".

It doesn't even make sense so you are saying 500 were here and they sold 400? Impossible, stop making excuses.
ILX had no predecessor to compare with. Acura didn't know how it would sell, and stupidly had high hopes. They expected the ILX to sell 40,000 per year. You haven't heard/read what are the expectations for the RLX sales-wise.

Acura knows how the RL sold. It sold bad. So they made less. I'm just telling you why only 400 were sold, b/c only 500 were in inventory for April. They did very very poorly in this segment with the RL, so they are very very cautious with the RLX.

Inventory will increase with each month so it will be a better gauge for how the RLX will do. But I'm sure Acura is pretty happy with how the RLX sold in April considering the dud that was the RL.
Old 05-07-13, 09:36 PM
LexFather

ILX had no predecessor to compare with. Acura didn't know how it would sell, and stupidly had high hopes. They expected the ILX to sell 40,000 per year. You haven't heard/read what are the expectations for the RLX sales-wise.

Acura knows how the RL sold. It sold bad. So they made less. I'm just telling you why only 400 were sold, b/c only 500 were in inventory for April. They did very very poorly in this segment with the RL, so they are very very cautious with the RLX.

Inventory will increase with each month so it will be a better gauge for how the RLX will do. But I'm sure Acura is pretty happy with how the RLX sold in April considering the dud that was the RL.
If what you said is true (it isn't) the RLX would be on the list of hottest sellers in April. It wasn't.
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...ling-cars.html

Nowhere to be found. There is no way in hell any company could be happy with 400 sales of a flagship model brand new when it is supposed to sell its best. That is a pittance of sales on par with a Hyundai Equus.

You are telling us Acura is happy selling 400 units a month when their last RL sold 17,000 units its first year (short of its 20k goal)? That would be a little over 1400 units a month. No way in hell Honda/Acura is happy the face of the brand sold 400 units, that is nothing.

This is the same thing we heard with the ZDX, ILX, the CRZ, the Insight, the Element, the Ridgeline... "oh wait until there is more inventory".

In regards to the ILX, Acura pays people handsomely to figure out how many units they will sell approximately. Buick seemed to figure out what people want with the Verano.

Old 05-07-13, 09:47 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

perhaps not in the States, but our neighbors to the north had a little thing called the CSX which is a rebadged Civic. I've even seen a 2002 bodystyle CSX here in Cali once
Old 05-07-13, 09:51 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

In regards to the ILX, Acura pays people handsomely to figure out how many units they will sell approximately. Buick seemed to figure out what people want with the Verano.
Yeah, they want something that's fun and not so dowdy. Something that has a nice upscale feel in a small package.

I don't understand why Type-S was ever dropped. A ILX with SH-AWD and that turbo 2.3 would be a hoot.

You can't even get navi on the top level 6M 2.4L I4 trim
Old 05-07-13, 10:01 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
perhaps not in the States, but our neighbors to the north had a little thing called the CSX which is a rebadged Civic. I've even seen a 2002 bodystyle CSX here in Cali once
I don't think you can use our neighbors up north as a way to predict sales in the US. Their buying ways are completely different from the US.
Old 05-07-13, 10:21 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

I don't think you can use our neighbors up north as a way to predict sales in the US. Their buying ways are completely different from the US.
reread my post. I didn't say anything about sales. Merely pointing out the ILX does have a rebadged Civic predecessor
Old 05-07-13, 11:10 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

400 units in its first full month is really nothing.
The RLX is DOA and it's going to be all down hill from here.
It is simply overpriced for what it offers. Acura really should just offer SH-AWD across the board on all its models. They are never going RWD, it's never going to happen. So why not stand apart from Honda (namely the Accord) and other luxury brands and do something different by having AWD standard across every single model?
They could market themselves as the "AWD" luxury brand as Subaru does with their standard vehicles. But to offer their flagship that is thousands overpriced with FWD standard? Horrible horrible horrible decision. Really, they are clueless and they deserve to have this vehicle fail.

Now they are planning to do away with a model that actually sells (the TSX), which is arguably their most attractive sedan (even though the current generation has been out now since 2008)?

The ILX is no replacement for the TSX and a future TLX will be too expensive for buyers in that price range. The TSX has been probably their most successful sedan to date (aside from the 2004-2008 TL), yet they want to axe it?? Have they lost their minds? Who is running this company?
Old 05-08-13, 05:22 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Acura could disguise the fact they're selling FWD-based vehicles in the same way Audi does; making AWD standard on almost every model.
Old 05-08-13, 06:31 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
400 units in its first full month is really nothing.
The RLX is DOA and it's going to be all down hill from here.
It is simply overpriced for what it offers. Acura really should just offer SH-AWD across the board on all its models. They are never going RWD, it's never going to happen. So why not stand apart from Honda (namely the Accord) and other luxury brands and do something different by having AWD standard across every single model?
They could market themselves as the "AWD" luxury brand as Subaru does with their standard vehicles. But to offer their flagship that is thousands overpriced with FWD standard? Horrible horrible horrible decision. Really, they are clueless and they deserve to have this vehicle fail.

Now they are planning to do away with a model that actually sells (the TSX), which is arguably their most attractive sedan (even though the current generation has been out now since 2008)?

The ILX is no replacement for the TSX and a future TLX will be too expensive for buyers in that price range. The TSX has been probably their most successful sedan to date (aside from the 2004-2008 TL), yet they want to axe it?? Have they lost their minds? Who is running this company?
FWD is the least of the Acura's concerns. Actually they manage to do FWD right so I give them that.

Their problem is they cannot understand what consists car luxury today. It's not about amenities anymore cause everybody has them, today is more then ever about statement, design, build quality and driving technology that makes one hell of a driving experience. Look at Tesla, they do not even offer ventilated seats or even 12 way power seats but they have THE technology under the car, inside the car and they have the design.

Acura missed the boat with SH-AWD big time cause the previous RL didn't really need it and they couldn't show the full capacity of the most advanced AWD system at the time. Current gen TL is the best adaptation of SH-AWD yet but no one knows about it and Acura doesn't care about it.

Engines are even more of a same. Big block V6s are goin away and I am surprised they didn't see it coming like they saw it with V8. Actually it's their principle never to build V8 or anything with more that six cylinders in a road car but climate today is doing them a big favor and yet the don't have single proper small(er) turbocharged engine. They were not ready much like Lexus, Infiniti who are stuck with their 3.5 blocks and very soon those engines appeal will be more and more limited as days go by.

New RLX brings some nice driving technologies that Acura lacked so bad but they fail on industrial design inspirational part (except jewel LED lights), UI technology implementation of two screens that are redundant with each other and it's hardware buttons and actual driving experience. New hybrid SH-AWD will debut in RLX but its fame will be sealed in new NSX, something that original SH-AWD never had.

I said before and I will say it again that new hybrid SH-AWD system is the true next gen hybrid system that will make a difference if Acura implements it across the board.

Bottom line is RLX\s packaging is it's worst enemy. Why have P-AWS standard and not Navigation? Why cooled seats are offered on the most expensive trim package? Why is power rear shade not in a base trim but instead combined with Krell audio package?!?
And why there is no adaptive suspension at all cause that could have made even greater impact on driving experience than P-AWS?

BTW they axed TSX cause no new Accord is coming out from Honda Europe.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX