Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-13, 01:32 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would probably get a 35k 2013 Accord over a hypothetical 35k RLX.
Old 04-13-13, 04:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
I would probably get a 35k 2013 Accord over a hypothetical 35k RLX.
I would also.
I just bought a new CR-V and looked closely at the new Accord.It's a very nice car.The loaded V6 was $34200 list and that's with LED headlights and adaptive cruise control .
Old 04-13-13, 05:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

just saw that honda still offers a v6 accord. i thought that had been dropped. heard so much good comments about the 4 i guess.

about the rlx... the crazy thing is for that moneyz you can get into an equus!
Old 04-13-13, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just saw that honda still offers a v6 accord. i thought that had been dropped. heard so much good comments about the 4 i guess.
Yes, but the V6 only comes on some (not all) EX/Touring-level coupes/sedans. it is not available as an option on the lower-trim cars, as I'd like to see it.

about the rlx... the crazy thing is for that moneyz you can get into an equus!
That's stretching it a bit.....options would have to play a big role. There's still roughly a 11K price difference between an entry-level RLX (48K) and an entry-level (59K) Equus. But, of course, there's a reason for that.......the Equus is defintely more car than a base FWD RLX.
Old 04-13-13, 01:31 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
parking sensors are BS feature in luxury car? This is $60k luxury Accord... it should have gazillion features to hide FWD roots.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
By "Parking Sensors", do you mean the beep-beep pulse object-detectors when you back up? If so, the RLX probably doesn't need them.....the specs show a standard multi-view back-up camera and an optional blind-spot detector system.
Originally Posted by Vladi
It has backup camera
More and more cars -- even mass-market econo-boxes -- are available with back-up cameras these days (and it may very soon become required equipment by law in North America). Any wannabe luxury car HAS to have more than just a lowly backup camera.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Cross traffic alert typically works in conjunction with BSM and detects objects, vehicles, people when reversing. Uses perpendicular sensors. Better than parking assist IMO
If a car has blind-spot alert, it likely already has the sensors required for cross-traffic alert (if the sensors are in the corners of the back bumper). All it would take is a few extra lines of code in the software to implement this.

Again, if a wannabe luxury car maker cannot afford (or does not know that) a few extra lines of code, they do not deserve to be called "Premium". It is nothing more than a stretched Accord.

Regarding the dressed-up Civic, some on this forum may not know that we Canadians have had a dressed-up Civic available to us for 15+ years now, as the Acura EL (2 generations), then CSX (1 generation), and now the ILX, which is finally being offered to Americans also. The EL and CSX barely looked any different from the Civic and you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between the 2 from a distance; at least the ILX looks different from the Civic. I do not know the sales numbers, but the EL and CSX seemed to be relatively popular.

At least the ILX is an improvement.
Old 04-13-13, 01:38 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
If a car has blind-spot alert, it likely already has the sensors required for cross-traffic alert (if the sensors are in the corners of the back bumper). All it would take is a few extra lines of code in the software to implement this.
GS and RX do not atm. ES and LS and soon IS will
Old 04-13-13, 04:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
a few extra lines of code, huh? are you a programmer? or one of these guys?

Old 04-14-13, 03:28 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess there are heated rear seats, power sunshade and rear side shades on RLX after all.

Had a chat with "Honda boys" last night and we had a quick discussion regarding RLX and they told me there is 3 zone AC, heated rear seats, passenger controlled power rear sunshade and manual sunshades. So there you go! Common sense person would trade all those "features" for ventilated rear seats but that is for another topic.
Old 04-14-13, 02:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

good look out Vladi. i just looked at the specs, too.

seems the 'review' model didn't have the Advance package which adds those things. that the review didn't mention they're available is typical internet sloppiness.

While the RLX is upscale, it lacks the true luxury feel common in the segment, as well as some equipment.

Heated steering wheel? Not available. true
Heated rear seats? No. false
Power rear sunshade? Absent. false
Sunshades for the rear side windows? Non-existent. false
Fog lights? Not here. true but many other models these days don't
Back-up parking sensors? Nope. false
Cross-traffic alert? Nada. true
pdf brochure here:

http://www.acura.com/tools/pdf/GetFa...modelYear=2014
Old 04-14-13, 02:20 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They've clarified slightly. Their model had the Technology package which is how Acura expects most people to buy the car. Updated quote from them.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...to-excite.html

While the RLX is upscale, it lacks the true luxury feel common in the segment, as well as some equipment on the popular Tech trim.

Heated steering wheel? Not available.
Heated rear seats? Only on pricey Advance trim.
Power rear sunshade? On the Krell and Advance trims only.
Sunshades for the rear side windows? On the Krell and Advance trims only.
Fog lights? Not here.
Back-up parking sensors? Nope.
Cross-traffic alert? Nada.
A backup camera and backup sensors are arguably not the same thing. One just shows you what's behind you, and the other gives you audible and/or graphical proximity indications at all four corners.

BTW, many of these missing features are available as individual options on BMWs. Why is Acura asking you to spend huge money on packages just to get simple features?
Old 04-14-13, 02:40 PM
Stormwind
Racer

I had a good laugh reading their "fact sheet"

Technology Package
ELS Studio®32 588-watt, 14-speaker Premium Audio System So Their basic audio system has more power than their premium ones.
Milano premium leather-trimmed interior They think leahter is technology
Premium leather instrument panel, console and door trim
Blind spot information (BSI) system
Rain-sensing windshield wipers That's not standard?
Power-folding side mirrors
Acoustic front and rear side glass What does that even mean?
19-inch aluminum-alloy, noise-reducing wheels with P245/40 R19 98W high-performance all-season tires
Simulated wood trim on console and doors So for $60k you get fake not even wood but look alike wood?

Krell Audio Package
Krell® 450-watt, 14-speaker Premium Audio System
Power rear sunshade
Rear-door side sunshades (manual) So in order to get sun shades you need to pay for premium audio...what?

Advance Package
Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™) with heads-up warning53
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low Speed Follow53
Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
6-level heated and ventilated front seats
Tri-level heated rear seats
Auto-dimming side mirrors
Front and rear parking sensors
Rear footwell lighting
3-point height-adjustable front seat belts with load limiters and e-pretensioner system

Basically all the safety stuff does not come standard. Guess that's how much they value your safety.

Last edited by Stormwind; 04-14-13 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-14-13, 03:43 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Acoustic glass is a thicker glass to cancel out additional wind and road noise. It's nothing new for Acura, my 2008 TL Type S had an acoustic windshield. My current car, GS F-Sport, has acoustic glass on the windshield and front side windows as well.

Don't knock the ELS sound systems in those cars, they are phenomenal. Not a "base" level audio system by any means. It's just as good, if not better, in sound quality than Levinson.
Old 04-14-13, 06:57 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormwind
I had a good laugh reading their "fact sheet"

Krell Audio Package
Krell® 450-watt, 14-speaker Premium Audio System
Power rear sunshade
Rear-door side sunshades (manual) So in order to get sun shades you need to pay for premium audio...what?
Yeah a big WTF on that one. We have younger kids. They LOVE the rear sunshades in our X5, but my wife and I have little interest in premium audio. Why should we have to pay for that just to get manual rear sunshades? That's stupid.
Old 04-15-13, 09:11 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many watts a stereo system has isn't the be all and end all. I'm sure that Krell system blows the ELS system out of the water in terms of sound quality.
Old 04-15-13, 09:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
How many watts a stereo system has isn't the be all and end all. I'm sure that Krell system blows the ELS system out of the water in terms of sound quality.
IMO, nothing I've ever heard in a production car can beat the Lexus LS460's Mark Levinson system. For sheer impressiveness, it borders on insane....though, to prevent hearing damage, I don't listen at high-decibel-levels.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX