Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW M cars to remain RWD; More AWD Mercedes AMG's coming

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 10:01 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

with the kind of torque these AMGs have is AWD really that bad of an idea. Everyone doesnt live in LA or AZ. It snows. So why alienate buyers in cold climates
Old 02-20-13, 10:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
I could care less how many badges are on the back of the car. Regardless when you see that AMG or S badge you know you need to move the H_ _ _ out the way.
haha problem is most can't even see the "s" before the car dusts you

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
with the kind of torque these AMGs have is AWD really that bad of an idea. Everyone doesnt live in LA or AZ. It snows. So why alienate buyers in cold climates
ask porsche on gt3 and gt2. it's about purist?
Old 02-20-13, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

From a purely traction point of view, I agree, but it also begs the question of who would want to spend 100K or more on a Mercedes AMG with AWD and then take it out on roads that are torn up with frost-heaves, winter potholes, and, of course, sand, salt, and abrasives? That not only causes corrosion, but also damage from road-debris. The lower ride-height of some AMG models (and their lower-body flares) also makes it more difficult to get a hose under the car for proper flushing/cleaning.
Old 02-20-13, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From a purely traction point of view, I agree, but it also begs the question of who would want to spend 100K or more on a Mercedes AMG with AWD and then take it out on roads that are torn up with frost-heaves, winter potholes, and, of course, sand, salt, and abrasives? That not only causes corrosion, but also damage from road-debris. The lower ride-height of some AMG models (and their lower-body flares) also makes it more difficult to get a hose under the car for proper flushing/cleaning.
Well if they can afford an AMG, then they can afford to buy a lift for the garage. But even more likely they just pay someone to care for the car
Old 02-20-13, 10:37 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
For the price of "AMG" they should just include everything
Nope, the higher level you go, the less it comes with. Go look at a Ferrari.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-20-13 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-20-13, 10:41 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

When you have 700 lb-ft going to 2 skinny tires, even on hot dry pavement in AZ, it can feels like dancing on ice.

60 treadwear R-Compound solved the traction problem, just got to buy tires every 5k miles
Old 02-20-13, 10:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Nope, the higher level you go, they less it comes with. Go look at a Ferrari.
Which is completely dumb IMO.

"Less is/cost more" comes into play. Remove my AC? Oh sure take $10K
Old 02-20-13, 11:10 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Which is completely dumb IMO.

"Less is/cost more" comes into play. Remove my AC? Oh sure take $10K
Is because they can.

I love those "free delete" option, they are doing you a favor by not installing it, you should be thankful
Old 02-20-13, 11:15 AM
LexFather

And while the logic makes sense for AWD, that is what makes RWD and back to basic cars even more mythical and desirable. Benz has Black Series, maybe M will come through with a competitor. RS is all AWD.

Old 02-20-13, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well if they can afford an AMG, then they can afford to buy a lift for the garage.
That's assuming they aren't going to drive it in the winter, and store it instead. That also has to be done correctly, for many reasons.
Old 02-20-13, 11:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Lots of people will and Mercedes knows it. I see plenty of S550 4-matics trolling around the snowy NE. Those start at $97k. Especially when we're talking about the E63 sedan, Mercedes knows that the person who buys AMGs on a regular basis also has a high-dollar sports car in the garage that they really care about. Also, the people buying this car new are unlikely to own it long enough to experience any corrosion. I think the car will be fine with modern rust proofing anyways.
Old 02-23-13, 05:40 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted an AWD AMG but unfortunately I couldn't wait any longer with my '01 GS430 that was starting to have various issues from having a modified suspension in NY for many years & no GS-F ever appeared to stay with Lexus. Ended up with '13 E63 & after seeing the new '14 body I am happy to have the '13 MY E63. Throw winters on it with 18" rims from the 19" summers & watch out for any issues with the road, not much else you can do. Sure as hell not going to leave the car in the garage and walk everywhere cause a few potholes emerge due to winter. Yeah the car can get dinged up but rather live & drive than look at it parked and then walk the sidewalk. To each their own I guess.