Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one
Gen 2.0 with the 274hp
20.00%
Gen 3.8 with the 348hp
43.33%
Ban yourself for life for this
33.33%
Other suggestion (please make it)
3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Hyundai 2.0 or 3.8 Genesis R-spec Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 09:06 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

3.8L for sure. I think its always better to get the best car you can get and mod it later when you get money instead of getting a lower trim car and modding it right away.

I say this because you will always get more money down the line, and then you can slowly mod the car. However, if you get the lower trim car, you'll never be able to change that down the line.
Old 02-21-13, 09:32 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Went do to the Huyndai dealership tonight, but unfortunately, they only had the a 2.0t in auto and non R-spec. Backseat headroom is atrocious, but otherwise the rest of the package was ok. Didn't care for the faux stitched dash or the pleather steer wheel, nor the mini-me HVAC/radio controls, but liked the gauge consoles and layout. The 2.0L had lots of gusto down low, but on the highway, you definitely have to downshift to get her going (due to the 8-speed). I didn't like the overly obtrusive VSC either, but all in all good package for around $25-27k!
Old 02-22-13, 05:45 AM
LexFather

Update

Made some phone calls, got him Friends/Family pricing Two dealers were duking it out, one thought it was their deal until we told them the other dealer was better. They initally balked, of course called back to match price.

He went with a 2.0 R-spec, got a smoking deal.

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-22-13, 06:05 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep, can't argue with that...!! but do you lose the 10/100K warranty?
Nope, you can purchase the handheld flash module and return ECU back to stock
Old 02-22-13, 06:06 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
Went do to the Huyndai dealership tonight, but unfortunately, they only had the a 2.0t in auto and non R-spec. Backseat headroom is atrocious, but otherwise the rest of the package was ok. Didn't care for the faux stitched dash or the pleather steer wheel, nor the mini-me HVAC/radio controls, but liked the gauge consoles and layout. The 2.0L had lots of gusto down low, but on the highway, you definitely have to downshift to get her going (due to the 8-speed). I didn't like the overly obtrusive VSC either, but all in all good package for around $25-27k!
VSC can be shut off from inside the car....
Old 02-22-13, 06:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Mike
Picked this up for my daily driver....2.0T R-Spec 6spd. for 26k Getting ready for a canned tune ECU Upgrade $750 which provides 292 rwhp with 339 torque with "0" mods. The 2.0 T motor is a torque machine and definitely the best value. I drive this thing year round back and forth to work and love it. Great coupe for an ex NFL sized man....
For a value proposition and ability to run sub 5 sec 0-60 with less than $1k worth of mods, tell him to get the Turbo.
Nice bro and thanks for the tips, I told him about the chip He's not really a car guy but I'll get him there

Old 02-22-13, 06:32 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 788 Likes on 552 Posts

Congrats to your friend! I have a classmate who just picked up a 2.0 R-spec for her company car (works for Hyundai's corporate office) and she likes it. She complains about the gas mileage, but knows it's mostly because she likes the boost
Old 02-22-13, 07:02 AM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to get a perspective from those who consider the G coupe: why this instead of 370Z, beside price?
Old 02-22-13, 07:12 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, you can purchase the handheld flash module and return ECU back to stock

yep, or like me I'm ordering the BTRcc ecu replacement. if I go to dealer, just swap stock ecu back in.
Old 02-22-13, 07:57 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fly2low
I just want to get a perspective from those who consider the G coupe: why this instead of 370Z, beside price?
backseat?

but true, I'd take a gently used 370Z over a new G coupe....but if someone wants a NEW car, 2.0t as ECU'd above, is a great deal.

Last edited by bagwell; 02-22-13 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-22-13, 11:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
backseat?

but true, I'd take a gently used 370Z over a new G coupe....but if someone wants a NEW car, 2.0t as ECU'd above, is a great deal.
The manual-transmission 370Z has one nice feature that I'm not sure if comparable models of the Genesis Coupe have or not......computer-matched revs on downshifts so you don't wear out the synchros if you're not proficient with the double-clutch or heel/toe method of shifting.
Old 02-22-13, 11:55 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fly2low
1) R-spec package...red interior (leather- cloth combo) supportive seats seats, standard limited slip, brembo brakes, 19" staggered wheels w/ summer tires, stock 276hp - 276 lb of torque.....

2) I trolled the Genesis coupe community before buying as I knew I would need to know if this motor had potential for cheap power gains and I found a current ECU upgrade for 290hp-340lb of torque at the wheels As I may only add a cat-back exhaust and bov this suited my needs for a DD

3) The looks With a drop, wing badges and rims IMO its a sharp looking car....

4) Interior space for me was key .. Im 6' 250 and 3" more shoulder room and almost 2" in every other category makes a huge difference.
Unless seen next to another coupe people dont realize how wide and big the G-coupe is. I know the weight aspect has been criticized but a comfortable daily driver was an important factor...

5) backseat for my kids on short trips or other items.he looks
Old 02-22-13, 12:01 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Nice bro and thanks for the tips, I told him about the chip He's not really a car guy but I'll get him there
Mike, anytime. Make sure hes wearing your "shoes" and only your "shoes" my brotha....hahaha
Team Vossen
Old 02-22-13, 12:32 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

So how much did he get it for? There's no incentives going on now unfortunately? And congrats....
Old 02-23-13, 09:22 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2) I trolled the Genesis coupe community before buying as I knew I would need to know if this motor had potential for cheap power gains and I found a current ECU upgrade for 290hp-340lb of torque at the :
curious if any posts regarding kabooms or other engine failures? this is DI engine, which historically do not have tolerance for increased boost, not to mention accelerated wear on factory components when doing no other upgrades. perhaps there will be a follow up post regarding warranty dispute after 1 year of ownership?

Quick Reply: Hyundai 2.0 or 3.8 Genesis R-spec Coupe?