Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unintended Sudden Acceleration of an Hyundai Elantra Ended in High-Speed Crash

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-13, 11:04 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I just realized why this doesn't happen in most other countries.

Because in most other countries, the general public who don't care about cars all travel by public transportation. People who are willing to spend so much money to buy a car are mostly car enthusiast or professional driver like a taxi driver. So in general they have pretty good knowledges of how a car works.

But in the U.S., even folks who care nothing about a car are forced to drive.

Is like if we all have to fly our own plane.
Old 02-23-13, 11:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34

Because in most other countries, the general public who don't care about cars all travel by public transportation. People who are willing to spend so much money to buy a car are mostly car enthusiast or professional driver like a taxi driver. So in general they have pretty good knowledges of how a car works.
Thoughtful
Old 02-23-13, 12:07 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

To everyone, while it is second nature to us how a car works, I think there are tons of driver on the road really don't understand all the basic function of a car. I can see how if their gas pedal is stuck under the floor mat, they really have no clue what to do.

I really believe they have no clue how to or what "putting it into neutral" means.

So I think is more like they don't know how, is not that they can't do it.
Good point.

This is why the stupid news media need to do a follow up story AND clarify that the driver "panicked" rather than portraying these evil metals all of sudden decided to speed on its own and out of control.

But then again, the media likes to feed these type of stories
Old 02-24-13, 08:38 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I wonder what happened?

Did tbe floor mat slip, trapping the accelerator pedal to the floor and keeping the brake pedal from being pressed down all the way?

Does the driver not realize that the lever next to the gearshift is for the MECHANICAL EMERGENCY/parking brake (that would not be affected by failure of electronics that may have affected the drive-by-wire accelerator and brake pedal/ABS/traction control/stability control)? But then, seeing that it is an auto-trans car, the parking brake is probably ignored and never used so that the driver forgets that it is there (and why it is there).

I believe that the 2011 Elantra has the zig-zag gated shifter. That should be very easy to tap the shift lever from D(rive) up into N(eutral) without having to worry about accidentally tapping too far and into R(everse). Or does that model have a linear shifter with the push-button gate release? If so, does it require a push of the button to shift from Drive to Neutral (as Ford's auto-trans require)? That, IMO, is stupid and dangerous.

Have cars become so much like video games that we have forgotten what all the different parts -- accelerator and brake pedals, gear shift gates, and mechanical parking/emergency brake -- are for and how they work?

Perhaps we need to insist (by force of law, if necessary) that all drivers require a formal driver's education course before getting licenced?
Old 02-24-13, 09:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

please teach all your family and friends to shift to neutral and other techniques to mitigate this type of situation. He is extremely lucky to be alive.

I know for sure in the 2IS that there is no shift button, you can just push the shifter from D to N easily
Old 02-24-13, 10:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To everyone, while it is second nature to us how a car works, I think there are tons of driver on the road really don't understand all the basic function of a car. I can see how if their gas pedal is stuck under the floor mat, they really have no clue what to do.

I really believe they have no clue how to or what "putting it into neutral" means.

So I think is more like they don't know how, is not that they can't do it.
I agree--but everyone knows how to step on the brakes. And--unless it's the EXACT same scenario as the Lexus accident in Cali, where the gas was trapped under the floor mat, and pressing the brake was actually pressing the accelerator, I can't believe that slamming on the brakes as hard as you can does *nothing*.

Plus--this wasn't something that happened in an instant--911 can guide him thru putting the car in neutral.
Old 02-24-13, 10:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Emergency operators are heard on the calls frantically trying to find a solution. They urge the teenager - without success - to try different ways to bring the 2011 Hyundai Elantra under control, including putting it in neutral, or turning off the ignition.

“It won’t go in neutral. He can’t turn it off. The brake pedal won’t work,” a dispatcher is heard saying on the recording.

“I am calling a Hyundai dealership to see if they have any tips," she continues to tell the teenager, "because I have looked online and there’s nothing.”
I just don't understand how ALL this fails at once.
Old 02-24-13, 10:30 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I just don't understand how ALL this fails at once.
+1, very unlikely scenario.
Old 02-24-13, 11:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

If no other incidents, real or imagined, surface this story will go away pretty soon..
Old 02-24-13, 11:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

probably because in the rest of the world AT transmissions are actually in minority so people know how to shift to neutral :-)
Old 02-24-13, 12:12 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow, I'm glad I'm not so stupid. I think people should have to learn proper driving techniques, as well as emergency tactics. In addition, they should also learn how a damn car works.

This incident reminds me of this video

WARNING: The F bomb is dropped about 40 times in this video.
Old 02-24-13, 12:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

don't buy it. screwed up, got confused, played out the story, now looking to cash in.
Old 02-24-13, 12:22 PM
LexFather

Toyota unintended acceleration, internet goes nuts, Toyota is the devil, Toyota sucks, lets try to destroy Toyota, to hell with facts, overlook facts...

Everyone else, oh its the driver, not the car

Old 02-24-13, 01:07 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Quick question, this car, as well as the es350 has been sold in other countries, and if the platform of the es350 is as similiar to the camry as everyone says it is, then that means that the car is all over the world in HUGE numbers, yet only the US had problems with unintended acceleration? I don't understand that. Also this Elantra has been out for a decent amount of time, I have never heard of this happening anywhere until now. I'm not saying that just because i haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it can't happen, but it seems unlikely for lack of a better word.
Old 02-24-13, 01:31 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
probably because in the rest of the world AT transmissions are actually in minority so people know how to shift to neutral :-)
Manual vs AT makes a lot of sense. I think that it's a bit too generalizing to say that the US is the only place where people don't rely on mass transit. There are rural and suburban areas all around the world. I think the Autobahn is a prime example--if people were so dependent upon mass transit, they wouldn't make such a quality highway.

Quick Reply: Unintended Sudden Acceleration of an Hyundai Elantra Ended in High-Speed Crash