Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Land Rover bringing world's first nine-speed automatic transmission to Geneva

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 11:27 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I thought 8 speeds were stupid on Lexus, and I also think they're stupid on BMWs. I've driven a few BMWs with the 8-speed automatic and the difference in RPMs at highway cruise between the upper gears is measured in hundreds of RPMs. 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th... very little difference. Pick two of those, how bout 6th and 8th, and you're good to go. The rest is all marketing. 9 or 10 is ridiculous.
When Audi went from 6 speed to 8 speed in the A4, their 0-60 times dropped by half a second and fuel economy went up.
Old 02-28-13, 12:53 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I thought 8 speeds were stupid on Lexus, and I also think they're stupid on BMWs. I've driven a few BMWs with the 8-speed automatic and the difference in RPMs at highway cruise between the upper gears is measured in hundreds of RPMs. 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th... very little difference. Pick two of those, how bout 6th and 8th, and you're good to go. The rest is all marketing. 9 or 10 is ridiculous.

If they can actually eliminate a two-speed transfer case (lots of weight and additional drivetrain loss) with one of these 8+ speed units though, then it's actually worth it. Start off in 4th gear as a normal first gear, and reserve 1st through 3rd for slow off-road crawling situations only. That would make sense.
Then you simply don't get it.

Please go look up the fuel economy of a DCT M3 vs. the IS F. It's not even remotely close, yet the IS F is just as fast in all acceleration metrics. The economy benefit is crucial with the new CAFE standards that are being imposed. Manufacturers have to find EVERY way possible to meet the new standards, hence higher gear tranny's, turbos, weight reduction, aerodynamics, etc. etc.
Old 02-28-13, 01:46 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Manufacturers have to find EVERY way possible to meet the new standards, hence higher gear tranny's, turbos, weight reduction, aerodynamics, etc. etc.
Everything counts these days : )
Old 02-28-13, 02:02 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Then you simply don't get it.

Please go look up the fuel economy of a DCT M3 vs. the IS F. It's not even remotely close, yet the IS F is just as fast in all acceleration metrics. The economy benefit is crucial with the new CAFE standards that are being imposed. Manufacturers have to find EVERY way possible to meet the new standards, hence higher gear tranny's, turbos, weight reduction, aerodynamics, etc. etc.
I get that you're comparing completely different cars and completely different engines and are hardly talking about the difference in number of gear ratios here.
Old 02-28-13, 02:06 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrraider
When Audi went from 6 speed to 8 speed in the A4, their 0-60 times dropped by half a second and fuel economy went up.
And was that because of "more gears" or because the newer transmission shifted a lot faster? There's no reason why in either of our BMWs with the ZF 6AT that 5th and 6th gears couldn't be stretched out a tad more to get the same boost in efficiency as an 8AT. In the 8-speed auto Bimmers I've driven, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th are so friggin close that you don't really need the intermediate gears. Take 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 8th as your ratios and put them into a 6 speed along with the faster shift speeds of the newer transmissions and you get the same benefit. The benefits aren't necessarily because of more gears per se.