Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Accident with a Lexus Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13 | 04:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by weenstan
I searched and couldn't really find anything on the topic.

Anyways, I had my IS in for a CSP service for the rough idle, and got a CT as a loaner from Longo Lexus. I had many loaners from Lexus before but I never got into any accidents. Anyways I got rear ended on the 5 freeway in stop and go traffic, the other driver was clearly at fault. Since no one was injured I didn't contact the police.

Unfortunately the dealer is closed today so I couldn't contact them, but on my loaner papers it says to contact Lexus immediately if I get into an accident. My question is will Lexus contact the other party (i have pictures, license, and insurance) and resolve the situation for me?

My rates shouldn't go up right?

If anyone has had any experience regarding this or any knowledge please add your input!

Thanks.
Good thing you were ok. But always, always call the police. No one was hurt--until a couple of days later when you get a call from a lawyer that says AFTER the accident the other driver went to the doc, and has injury, and alleges that you did some crazy move that made him slam into you. If the other driver changes their story, you'd have the initial police report which contradicts that story--were you lying then, or are you lying now?
Old 03-07-13 | 01:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
You should be fine since you were rear ended. The other persons insurance should cover the damage to the loaner car. If the other person doesn't have insurance to cover the accident, then your insurance will cover the accident. Either way, it should not really affect your rates - but it will go on your record as a not-at-fault accident. The only way to know for sure how everything works is contact your own insurance tho - insurance companies all vary.

+1 on this!

For everyone saying "You should have called the police"... Speaking from experience, highway patrol doesn't always come to the scene of accident to take a report. Especially for accidents like this where the person who rear ended the car in front is almost always at fault anyways. They usually only come when someone is injured, hit & run, damage is extensive, traffic is backed up, etc.
All true. And the LAPD will not come out unless someone is injured or traffic is blocked. May be different in other states.