Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota i-ROAD leans its way into the city

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 06:07 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on where it came from. Toyota once sold, in their home JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) a rebadged version of the Chevrolet Cavalier....a car you and I both know was poorly-built. It was part of a buisness arrangement they had with GM, back whan GM was selling some rebadged Toyotas here.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Only one I can think of was the Pontiac Vibe / Matrix over here at the Nummi plant (now Tesla). Anything else?
As an aside...

GM built re-badged Toyota Sprinter models (a variation of the Corolla) at its NUMMI joint-venture plant from 1984 to 2002 and Pontiac Vibe models from 2002/2003 to 2009 when Pontiac died. The GM-badged Sprinters were the Chevrolet Nova, Geo Prizm and Chevrolet Prizm.

NUMMI also built the Toyota Voltz, a re-badged, right hand-drive Pontiac Vibe that was exported to Japan.

As part of this joint venture, GM hoped to sell models in Japan. The Toyota Cavalier was the result.
Old 02-04-15, 12:09 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toyota i-Road Tilting Three-Wheeler Pre-Production Test Drive

The Toyota i-Road is a cross between a Renault Twizy (which came before, so we’ll consider it the precursor) and any three-wheeler vehicle you’ve seen with a two-wheel up front and one at the back type layout.

It’s a pretty cool piece of kit, and obviously the leaning function is by far its main party piece. It not only looks cool and a bit like a motorcycle, but the function does have an actual purpose of shifting the mass and center of gravity through corners to ensure stability and maintain the line.

By the looks of it, it steers via the rear wheel which is very handy in town, and according to the CNET reviewer, it feels natural and enjoyable for the driver. If you overcook a corner, electronics will kick in to keep you in check, and you’ll be made aware of this by a vibration function in the steering wheel.

Currently, the i-Road is being tested at locations around the world - Toyota is currently pondering whether it would be worth it to bring it over to the US.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/toy...eeler-pre.html
Old 02-04-15, 09:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

if it comes to the u.s. i'd say it's dead on arrival or dead shortly thereafter when it gets flattened by an suv.