Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS-F Cancelled!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 08:21 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

If this is true, then the Lexus "F brand" division is worthless. Another boneheaded move by the bean counters. - Cant say im surprised given Lexus/Toyota history.

Lexus
IS F - Discontinued, Rumor?

LFA - Discontinued, no successor

GS460 - Discontinued, GS-F???

SC - Discontinued

Toyota
Supra - Discontinued
Celica - Discontinued
MR2 - Discontinued

Thanks to mostly to Subaru we have the FRS/BRZ.
Old 03-12-13, 09:16 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Seems like you're a bit behind on your Toyota/Lexus history.

There's been a sea-change in Lexus/Toyota philosophy in recent years with Akio Toyoda at the helm.

It's due to his insistence on sporty exciting drives that the new BMW 5 series beating GS came about. Same for the FRS/BRZ which was conceived in Toyota and not Subaru and which has car enthusiasts all raving about it.

In fact, it's the traditionalists who are now complaining that the newer Toyotas/Lexii are too sporty while the new BMWs are too luxury-oriented and that BMW has lost its way.
Old 03-12-13, 11:03 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just posted this in the IS-F forums.

http://www.lexus.com/performance/

That is one reason why the IS-F will not be discontinued. Lexus is serious about performance this time and creating this new page to highlight their F/F-Sport lines is a sign of this. They have built a great lineup of F-Sport cars and the F line looks meager in comparison. Just like with the M3/M4, the IS-F will arrive much later than the regular models.

(This is why I also believe a GS-F is coming)
Old 03-13-13, 05:09 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
Just posted this in the IS-F forums.
I'll believe it when I see it Until then, now discontinued IS-F and LFA are the only true sport cars, the rest are just imitations with the F badge. And no offense to anyone driving the F-Sport models, but you guys know what I mean
Old 03-13-13, 05:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If this is true, then the Lexus "F brand" division is worthless. Another boneheaded move by the bean counters. - Cant say im surprised given Lexus/Toyota history.

Lexus
IS F - Discontinued, Rumor?

LFA - Discontinued, no successor

GS460 - Discontinued, GS-F???

SC - Discontinued

Toyota
Supra - Discontinued
Celica - Discontinued
MR2 - Discontinued

Thanks to mostly to Subaru we have the FRS/BRZ.
maybe Lexus will be discontinued as well? Lets start a rumor!
Old 03-13-13, 07:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
maybe Lexus will be discontinued as well? Lets start a rumor!
Show me what i posted thats a rumor???? Btw i said IF the ISF is cancelled, i hope not!

Umm Lexus is not going anywhere but we have heard promises before such as:
Fsport springs for the GS??
SC replacement?
GS-F?
Coupe?
Old 03-13-13, 08:43 PM
LexFather

It's becoming sadly obvious most people have no idea what they are talking about in regards to Lexus and they love to say or spread bad info

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar149701.html

Not one GOTDAMN peep the CT for example has succeeded as a luxury hatch where others failed.

I just read on another forum the LS is an Avalon, the CT is a Prius and enthusiasts don't buy an IS. The level of Lexus dumb is astounding.

Old 03-14-13, 01:00 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
It's becoming sadly obvious most people have no idea what they are talking about in regards to Lexus and they love to say or spread bad info

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar149701.html

Not one GOTDAMN peep the CT for example has succeeded as a luxury hatch where others failed.

I just read on another forum the LS is an Avalon, the CT is a Prius and enthusiasts don't buy an IS. The level of Lexus dumb is astounding.
That link you attached is a complete fail when they get even basic facts wrong :

The EPA fuel economy of the IS-F is BETTER than the BMW M3 not the other way around.

In fact, the ISF escapes gas guzzler tax while the M3 is penalized with it.

Old 03-14-13, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
In fact, it's the traditionalists who are now complaining that the newer Toyotas/Lexii are too sporty while the new BMWs are too luxury-oriented and that BMW has lost its way.
I agree. Both sides, here, IMO, are correct. Lexus and BMW, to an extent, have both forgotten what made them successful.
Old 03-14-13, 12:15 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree. Both sides, here, IMO, are correct. Lexus and BMW, to an extent, have both forgotten what made them successful.
You are right Sir but they are also trying to please everyone is how they get into this predicament.
Old 03-14-13, 12:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Except both are still very successful even with the changes. They are managing to please new customers and older ones even if some BMWs are softer and some Lexus are harder edged. Sales are still booming, reviews for the most part of favorable.

Old 03-17-13, 03:38 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

I don't think Toyoda will stand for there being no IS-F or similar M3 fighter replacement. He's too interested in Toyota/Lexus' performance bottom line, although he still has a lot of work to do.

Still, Lexus needs more than just the IS-F in this department but they know this. The new model is coming out soon as well as an IS coupe. They still need a replacement for the SC though, but optioned more like the original Japanese models. The GS too. The only one that makes zero sense is the LS-F.
Old 03-17-13, 05:27 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is it rumor or ??

I am sure USA Today has some people in the know with Lexus.....whereas no one here seems to have any sources saying the IS-F will indeed keep being produced. I'm pretty sure USA Today knows the difference between discontinued for good versus a new model coming out and Lexus simply not making the IS-F the first year.

I don't really know what direction Lexus is going......they really have disappointed in the last 6-7 years.....whereas Audi, BMW, Benz have all seemingly gotten better. I was really hoping the new GS was going to be a step in the right direction.....but they screwed that up, too (the back literally looks like a Corolla or Camry....absolutely no road presence). The GS was never like that in the previous generations......
Old 03-17-13, 05:29 PM
LexFather

^^^^ Well the confusion is that the IS F might live on as the RC F as coupe only. Which would be REALLY REALLY REALLY dumb since the next 3 will be
M3
M4
M4 Gran Coupe
M4 Convertible

We are hoping that this just means that the IS F will be stopped as the new model debuts and a sedan IS F comes. I hope Lexus doesn't drop the IS F just to focus on the RC F (and upcoming coupes)

Old 03-17-13, 06:01 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

talking with many lexus staff here in japan, osaka to be exact, they are all saying the isf will continue and the gsf is coming....

Last edited by NotnFsport; 03-17-13 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: IS-F Cancelled!