Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone painted their car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 10:04 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Anyone painted their car?

So, I've been thinking about maybe painting my car. When I bought my car four years ago, I wasn't into customization and just wanted transportation. Now I do care about customization and now have custom wheels and led taillights and a few other things. I would love to go with a dark green color. What kind of price points would you be looking at? I'm thinking it's at least 1500-2000 dollars for a decent quality paint job. Any experience or things I should know?

Last edited by Chocolate; 03-09-13 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-08-13, 10:38 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did.

Well, sort of...in oil colors.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone painted their car?-image.jpg  
Old 03-08-13, 10:53 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vasili
I did.

Well, sort of...in oil colors.
Nice, now get rid of the stockers!
Old 03-08-13, 11:01 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i had a few nice paint jobs on my previous car. first car cost 2800 and my 350z cost me 5000. both using PPG paint , my second paint job for 5k, i paid extra sanding time for a super smooth show quality paint, it was recleared twice and was wet as glass and reflected back a lot of light. even when dirty, it was always super shiny.

i wouldn't even trust a place that would do it for cheaper than 3k for a sedan. even if you know a friend or family, no one really wants to do it for cheaper because its one of those things that you get what you pay for.
Old 03-08-13, 11:27 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i had a few nice paint jobs on my previous car. first car cost 2800 and my 350z cost me 5000. both using PPG paint , my second paint job for 5k, i paid extra sanding time for a super smooth show quality paint, it was recleared twice and was wet as glass and reflected back a lot of light. even when dirty, it was always super shiny.

i wouldn't even trust a place that would do it for cheaper than 3k for a sedan. even if you know a friend or family, no one really wants to do it for cheaper because its one of those things that you get what you pay for.
Thanks... pics?
Old 03-08-13, 11:29 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

agreed with IS-Fpower, you get what you pay for with these type of things.
Old 03-08-13, 11:37 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SaigaX
Thanks... pics?
these is non edited, dirty and full sun light out pic (first pic). i dont hide imperfections with a black car by taking a pic in the shade, editing pics or none of that. second pic is an example when parked in shade.

the clear coat i used was from the late models mecedes, really hard clear coat. it had no swirls at all. but if you do get them, it's harder to correct but it's worth it if you know the proper way to wash your car. i had the paint for about 4 years and the day i sold it, no swirls. pretty amazing if you asked me for a black car.

this is in the shade . take a look at the door. i gives off a different shine that oem paint jobs cant reflect because of oem orange peel in the clear coat. the closest oem paint ive seen like that is the new 2012-2013 bmw m6 blue

Last edited by ISFPOWER; 03-08-13 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 11:48 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

your 350z was clean!
Old 03-08-13, 11:55 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
your 350z was clean!
thank you. was into the stance scene back when it was unpopular. i now see the same people who were always posting " hark park " unfunctional " into it now. the irony
Old 03-09-13, 03:42 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

The Z looks great. I know that realistically, you're going to have to spend a couple thousand to get it done right.
When a black paint job is done right, you really get a mirror finish. I'm thinking either black, green, red, or silver.
By the way, what kind of calipers or caliper covers are those?

Last edited by Chocolate; 03-09-13 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-09-13, 08:12 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

On a similar topic, how much does it usually cost to get clear coat redone?

I've got some clear coat fading on the roof of my red 92 LS.
Old 03-09-13, 08:55 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

90% of the cost of a good paint job is in the hours of surface prep. Obviously, quality paint and a skilled applicator are important, but unless the surface is properly prepped, leveled, sanded, and primed, all the expensive paint and talent in the world won't show.

Back in the day I used to have my cars (and those of my parents) repainted, and learned to appreciate good prep work by doing it myself. I'd deliver the car to the paint shop (where they would do any major bodywork and the final prep), but at least I KNEW the surface was as clear as I could get it when I dropped it off. I'd remove all the trim i could, including window trim, grill, bumpers, lights, door handles, etc., and either polish out the shiny stuff or send it off to the chrome shop. This eliminated a lot of short-cuts by the painter carelessly taping off pieces that could be removed. It also ensured I got a good coat of paint in behind the trim, where rust is usually lurking, ready to strike.
Old 03-09-13, 10:52 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

The Z looks great. I know that realistically, you're going to have to spend a couple thousand to get it done right.
When a black paint job is done right, you really get a mirror finish. I'm thinking either black, green, red, or silver.

even when you get insurance work done for a new paint job, the quote will be more than 3k if you have a two stage oem paint job.

oem calipers were brembo, aftermarket big brake kit was the d2. no covers, lol

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
On a similar topic, how much does it usually cost to get clear coat redone?

I've got some clear coat fading on the roof of my red 92 LS.
unless you have a flawless car, i would not do that. adding clear coat to a car with chips and stuff will look bad.. you will see a lot of imperfections of where there isn't paint. i tell people to clear coat their car if they bought there car brand new from the dealers and you will have a very nice and durable looking paint.
Old 03-10-13, 09:03 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It'll be cheaper to paint same color you have now, as opposed to doing a completely different color. Just think of all the time/$ to do all the jambs