Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

You'll Love The Police For Giving A Woman A Ticket For 2 MPH Under The Limit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 08:58 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

In Chicago the speed limits are typically 50 mph on most of the highways and tollways, and you would be hard pressed to ever find anyone doing it (unless a jam), and I have never ever seen a cop try to ticket drivers for speeding or even try to slow it down much at all.

And then you get that self righteous pompous $@#%$@% driving in the left lane in a Prius trying to do the hypermile thing. And then wonder why there is sooooo much road rage. Most of the highways in Chicago are too small for the traffic flow they have, so naturally traffic speeds up over it.

I tried for about a week eons ago trying to drive the speed limit in St. Louis, nearly got 1 one accident and did get in another. IF I was going faster, even 10 mph (where typically drive), the possibility would not have even arisen.

Most speed limits are simply bogus. Like in Illinois on the rural interstates having it 65 mph on a highway that was DESIGNED for 75. And then have the trucks, semis and trailers limited to 55. Speed DIFFERENCE is the major problem.
Old 03-13-13, 05:20 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The cop should get a medal and be promoted for that !
Old 03-13-13, 08:55 PM
LexFather

So you supporters are fine with people with 50 items in the 10 items or less lane slowing things up too? Perhaps you also think its fine for large cars to park in compact spots slowing up traffic behind them? How about people that clog up the "credit only" line with cash slowing things up? Lets make excuses for those that clog the line on the airport with their oversize bags they know good and damn well won't fit in the bin and slow take-off.

They need to move and if you talk to left lane hogs they are proud of impeding traffic as they rationalize why others need to go faster.

Old 03-13-13, 10:15 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if every person who gets this type of ticket thrown out, I would be totally fine with this. It wastes these people's time, which will cost them money even if they don't end up paying any fee. I don't care if its wrong to fine you, i want your time wasted because you wasted my time driving slow.
Old 03-14-13, 08:24 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
So you supporters are fine with people with 50 items in the 10 items or less lane slowing things up too? Perhaps you also think its fine for large cars to park in compact spots slowing up traffic behind them? How about people that clog up the "credit only" line with cash slowing things up? Lets make excuses for those that clog the line on the airport with their oversize bags they know good and damn well won't fit in the bin and slow take-off.

They need to move and if you talk to left lane hogs they are proud of impeding traffic as they rationalize why others need to go faster.
you left out those wearing designer clothes paying with a state Link card

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Even if every person who gets this type of ticket thrown out, I would be totally fine with this. It wastes these people's time, which will cost them money even if they don't end up paying any fee. I don't care if its wrong to fine you, i want your time wasted because you wasted my time driving slow.

exactly
Old 03-14-13, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You guys may personally like what the cop did (I'm not passing judgement on that part of it, myself)....but if the woman decides to contest the ticket in court, I think the judge will see things her way and toss it out. Most judges take a dim view of speeding, and, even in the left lane, like people who stay at or near the limit.
Old 03-14-13, 01:30 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I wonder if the actual infraction was not passing while occupying the passing lane rather than 63/65.