Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

You'll Love The Police For Giving A Woman A Ticket For 2 MPH Under The Limit

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 02:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Finally I dont need to use my high beams and horn so much

Last edited by I8ABMR; 03-12-13 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-12-13, 02:48 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Its about time cops started nabbing people like this. If you wanna slow down, FINE, get in the far RIGHT lane and stay there. Don't even think about getting in the other lanes unless you match or exceed the speeds of people in that lane. If you don't feel safe on the roads, get off the roads!

Problem with the roads is the speed limits are set too low, so the drivers don't take the them seriously. If they were set to what the roads were designed for and what the cars on them are deisgned for, far less people would speed and traffic would flow sooo much better.
Old 03-12-13, 02:49 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

ive seen them pull over slow drivers in the fast lane before on i 95 in the white marsh area.
Old 03-12-13, 04:24 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
While it is true that people need to get the hell out of the fast lane, the problem is that the speed LIMIT is that exactly... the maximum limit. Not the suggested average nor the minimum. You cannot go the maximum and minimum at the same time. You will ALWAYS be in the wrong because there is a percentage allowance for inaccurate speedometers and 2 mph isn't going to fly in court. I've just stumped their case in 5 sentences.
Reality is that the posted sign is the the minimum AND maximum speed limit. If you drive below the limit, it's too slow. If you go above it, then it's too fast.

This only make drivers neurotic when they don't know how the next cop will decide to enforce speed limits.
Old 03-12-13, 04:38 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
apparently what you do with your driving can get you that too
I don't dare to road rage in L.A., I don't like getting shot

SD is ok, people are sissy
Old 03-12-13, 05:27 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had much more dangerous encounters with people going slower than the rate of traffic than the drivers going faster than the rate of traffic.

I'd love to see this implemented more in SoCal.
Old 03-12-13, 05:39 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
I've had much more dangerous encounters with people going slower than the rate of traffic than the drivers going faster than the rate of traffic.

I'd love to see this implemented more in SoCal.
You are right, because the speeder are focus and paying attention, the slow folks are not.

Speed is only a factor on an accident if the driver don't have enough skills and lose control of the car. Otherwise not paying attention is the biggest cause of car accidents. It is hard to not pay attention when you are speeding.
Old 03-12-13, 09:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

while the 'reality' of someone doing 63 in the left lane may be that they're slowing down traffic, and so it's wrong, giving someone a ticket for it, is beyond wrong, it's a complete abuse of power. maryland and virginia are about the two worst states in the nation (maryland having a foul reputation) for speed traps. virginia doesn't allow radar detectors either.

Originally Posted by KevinGS
OMG! I'm so proud of my Maryland police!!!!!!!
you are?

While it is true that people need to get the hell out of the fast lane, the problem is that the speed LIMIT is that exactly... the maximum limit. Not the suggested average nor the minimum. You cannot go the maximum and minimum at the same time. You will ALWAYS be in the wrong because there is a percentage allowance for inaccurate speedometers and 2 mph isn't going to fly in court. I've just stumped their case in 5 sentences.
qft. left land 'slow-poke' not great, but all of 2mph under limit is a joke of a ticket. mind you, if the driver is scared of going over 65 she most likely won't fight the ticket either, just as maryland likes their easy revenue.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-13-13 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-12-13, 10:43 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really agree with the ticket. I think that is a little excessive. A warning would be sufficient in scaring her straight. I remember my first, and only, time getting pulled over. Was scared like no other. A warning would've set me straight for life. He gave me a ticket though .

There was some article on Car and Driver where they interviewed this cop who stated he doesnt give tickets, only warnings. He believed that the mere act of pulling someone over sets them on the path of driving righteousness.

However, I DO think the lady was being VERY inconsiderate by going slow in the left lane. I am for only driving on the right lane on the highways. LEFTS ARE FOR PASSING ONLY! But noone follows my laws.
Old 03-13-13, 05:31 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

maryland doesnt band rader detectors.they love camera traps in so called work areas.pa has a lot of rader traps also.
Old 03-13-13, 06:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
maryland doesnt band rader detectors.
doh, you're right, that's virginia.
Old 03-13-13, 07:33 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Tennessee cops can be pretty damn ridiculous as well. I remember getting pulled over doing 78 in a 55 at 1:30am on a Tuesday night going home from work. I left the downtown loop in Nashville, and didn't pass a single car or see a single car for two miles, until that stupid Metro cop pulled me over. He cited me for the speeding and reckless driving, for doing 78mph in a 55 zone on a section of interstate that was five lanes wide and straight for two miles, with no other cars. I wasn't even in the far left lane, I was in one of the middle lanes.

I did plead guilty to speeding, but contested the reckless driving charge. I told the judge it was 1:30am and I didn't pass a single car for almost two miles on a perfectly straight section of interstate(which was true). The cop disputed this saying I was passing traffic in the far left lane at a high rate of speed. Total bull****. The judge told me just do the online defensive driving course, pay the fine(which was almost $200) and she'd dismiss all charges. That was fine with me, but it pissed me off to no end that the officer lied to the judge.
Old 03-13-13, 07:48 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

No you did not. She was impeding the flow of traffic. GUILTY. And before you argue, I was a police officer for many years and have issued similar citations.
Old 03-13-13, 07:53 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

it is a known fact that a slow driver can cause more problems than a speeder. a slwo driver will cause road rage to other drivers as well as creating a huge pocket of cars jammed together. here we have RT1 to the beaches and you will get two prius owners driving side by side for tens of miles refusing to pass eachother, doing about 50mph or so in a 65. I would love to see cops cracking down on this. actually on rt1 if you do 79 or less you dont get messed with. Ever since a nashvile cop got me in 06 I simply set my cruse to 9 over the limit or if Im feeling froggy 14 over
Old 03-13-13, 07:56 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What's unfair

All states should enforce this, if you are not able to follow basics then use public transportation.

Quick Reply: You'll Love The Police For Giving A Woman A Ticket For 2 MPH Under The Limit