Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mechanic Recommendations Requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13 | 12:35 PM
valerieh
Driver School Candidate

Default Mechanic Recommendations Requested

I have a 2007 400H and was told I have to change the water pump. radiator, timing belt and a rotor. As you can see this will be expensive. Looking for a licensed hybrid Lexus mechanic. Can you help?
Old 03-15-13 | 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Welcome to Club Lexus and CAR CHAT, Valerie......I see you are a new poster.

Any licensed/franchised Lexus dealership should have Mechanics/Technicians that can handle those jobs. Most dealerships hire technicians that are not only ASE-certified but, in addition to that, also have been to factory-schooling and are certified in that particular automaker's engine/transmission/hybrid/chassis/electrical, etc.... and others repair-categories. Gone are the days of grease-monkeys that do little else but change the oil and change tires. Lexus also has enough different hybrid models now that there is significant demand for hybrid-certified technicians at most Lexus dealerships.

In fact, in some cases, work on Lexus vehicles can be done at Toyota-service shops for less money (Toyota shops routinely charge less by the hour, and use some of the same parts that Lexus models do), but that sometimes depends on what is warranty-covered and what is considered routine work or service. Toyota shops can do simple things on Lexus vehicles, but are usually not reimbursed for warranty-related work.

I see you are in MD......if you are in the D.C. area (I'm in the VA suburbs myself), there's Lexus of Rockville on Route 355, and DarCars Lexus of Silver Spring on Route 29. For other MD shops, check the Lexus dealer-locator:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...h.do?link=true

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-15-13 at 02:13 PM.