Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus cancel the ES?
Yes
20.45%
No
79.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus to Cancel ES?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 08:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The difference is not so much that Japanese companies have gone downhill in quality (though there is some evidence of cost-cutting) but that other companes (particularly GM and Chrysler) have improved so much, and are now, in some cases, giving the Japanese real competition.
Not really, Toyota and Honda are still a few cuts above the American car makers.
Old 05-13-13, 09:39 AM
LexFather

When the RX moved production to Canada there was an internet uproar but consumers don't know and don't seem to care. This is clearly obvious since so many BMW, Benz, Acura, Infiniti etc are all built in America.

Would it have been great to keep in Japan? Sure, it provides a true "from/made in" story. However it is clear people don't really seem to care where a product is made in relation to the badge. The ES is ripe for a move since its mostly only sold here for this market. If Lexus has proven anything it is their management is amazingly well kept and workers on the assembly line/plants are amazing no matter if built in Japan or Canada. Its not like the RX from Canada is any worse in quality than one made in Japan and surely the same will happen for an American made ES.

In the past I stated it wouldn't happen but clearly I was wrong, it is happening quicker than expected. It is also great to see American job growth here in America.

The difference is not so much that Japanese companies have gone downhill in quality (though there is some evidence of cost-cutting) but that other companes (particularly GM and Chrysler) have improved so much, and are now, in some cases, giving the Japanese real competition.

As far as the thread-topic question goes, I see no need to cancel the ES. Simply make it more like it was 10-12 years ago, with the superb 4th-generation model. The main problem with today's ES is that it is no longer a true ES....the interior trim-quality has been somewhat downgraded, and the chassis/tires/suspension made too stiff. In other words, It is a now semi-sports sedan. The same holds true for the new Avalon's chassis, but, unlike the new ES, the new Avalon's interior, IMO, is a notable upgrade from the last one. Though I don't particularly care for the ride in either one, given the choice, I'd take the new Avalon over the ES.
So b/c the car evolves its not "true"? No car drives today like it did 20 years ago. People can complain all they want, owners are happy, the car is selling and its still one of the best in class.

Old 05-13-13, 09:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not really, Toyota and Honda are still a few cuts above the American car makers.
When it comes to material and product quality, I disagree, at least about Toyota. Toyota has made some absolutely terrible interior choices over the past 7 years or so. Horrible material quality, headliners like cardboard, etc...
Old 05-13-13, 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

So b/c the car evolves its not "true"? No car drives today like it did 20 years ago.
Dunno......the Miata, despite a little more room inside, still drives basically like it did when it was introduced in 1989. I think Paul would agree with me on that.

I agree that cars evolve, but, sometimes, how they evolve is not always a good thing. For proof, one need look no further than what happened to Saturn. They completely blew it after the 1990s...and the S-series cars.

People can complain all they want, owners are happy, the car is selling and its still one of the best in class.
I'm not making any specific number-predictions, It will be interesting to see how the new Avalon sells, compared to the ES. The new Avalon, IMO, one-ups it inside.
Old 05-13-13, 11:00 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 649 Likes on 484 Posts

compared to the ES. The new Avalon, IMO, one-ups it inside.
I totally disagree. Have you actually driven the new Avalon and played with the cap-touch buttons? I really wanted to like it, due to its price advantage. The Avalon's interior is the reason I ended up with the ES.
Old 05-13-13, 11:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would have to disagree as well. I have driven a few of the new gen ES loaners and they are amazing. Very nive fit and finish. I sat in the new Avalon last week when we bought a new Sienna Limited and it was nice not Lexus quality and the ergonomics wasnt the best because my knee was resting on the center console at a very uncomfortable angle. Its a joke to me when people say the LS is just a big Avalon. The avalon is just a big Toyota. Lexus LS is the best Toyota can produce. PERIOD.
Old 05-13-13, 11:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
When it comes to material and product quality, I disagree, at least about Toyota. Toyota has made some absolutely terrible interior choices over the past 7 years or so. Horrible material quality, headliners like cardboard, etc...
I understand you might not like the interior of some Toyota products, but pound for pound, an American made Toyota or Honda will outlast an American made American vehicle.
Old 05-13-13, 11:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would have to disagree as well. I have driven a few of the new gen ES loaners and they are amazing. Very nive fit and finish. I sat in the new Avalon last week when we bought a new Sienna Limited and it was nice not Lexus quality and the ergonomics wasnt the best because my knee was resting on the center console at a very uncomfortable angle. Its a joke to me when people say the LS is just a big Avalon. The avalon is just a big Toyota. Lexus LS is the best Toyota can produce. PERIOD.
IMWO, the Prius is the best Toyota made, EVER!
Old 05-13-13, 12:37 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did I8ABMR's quote have to do with Prius? He is talking about his experience driving ES loaners, in comparison with LS (that he owns) and Avalon that is the closest Toyota equivalent.

I test drove the Avalon and the ES, and even though the Avalon is cheaper by a slim amount, it doesn't measure up to the ES. I would only consider the Avalon if I really was stretched for the money (unlikely if one is cross shopping both) or did not want to draw attention by moving into luxury badge while still enjoying the more upscale interior (buick/cadillac syndrome).
Old 05-13-13, 12:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by My0gr81
What did I8ABMR's quote have to do with Prius? He is talking about his experience driving ES loaners, in comparison with LS (that he owns) and Avalon that is the closest Toyota equivalent.

I test drove the Avalon and the ES, and even though the Avalon is cheaper by a slim amount, it doesn't measure up to the ES. I would only consider the Avalon if I really was stretched for the money (unlikely if one is cross shopping both) or did not want to draw attention by moving into luxury badge while still enjoying the more upscale interior (buick/cadillac syndrome).

I like both the Avalon and ES. Both suit different buyers, I will agree with others that the ES has gotten cheaper on the inside, there seems to be more hard plastic on the ES than on the Avalon.

My biggest issue with the ES is that there is no standard leather, this is not acceptable. The Avalon does have standard leather and for this reason, I would say the Avalon is a nicer car.
Old 05-13-13, 01:05 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 649 Likes on 484 Posts

I like both the Avalon and ES. Both suit different buyers, I will agree with others that the ES has gotten cheaper on the inside, there seems to be more hard plastic on the ES than on the Avalon.

My biggest issue with the ES is that there is no standard leather, this is not acceptable. The Avalon does have standard leather and for this reason, I would say the Avalon is a nicer car.
There is certainly not MORE hard plastic in the ES, than the Avalon. I cross shopped both highly optioned models, so to me, both had leather. I would not consider spending upwards of $40k and not having it. The difference in price was about $4k. All I'm missing out on is heated rear seats, which I really don't care much about.
Old 05-13-13, 01:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
There is certainly not MORE hard plastic in the ES, than the Avalon. I cross shopped both highly optioned models, so to me, both had leather. I would not consider spending upwards of $40k and not having it. The difference in price was about $4k. All I'm missing out on is heated rear seats, which I really don't care much about.
Both are nice, the problem with the ES is that you have to load it up to make it a luxury car..vinyl and no heated seats is not acceptable for a luxury nameplate.
Old 05-13-13, 02:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Then the LS600hL is the best.
Old 05-13-13, 03:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I understand you might not like the interior of some Toyota products, but pound for pound, an American made Toyota or Honda will outlast an American made American vehicle.
I think that statement is probably true in general, but American carmakers are catching up.

For me, since I'm not going to own it more than 5 years having something thats built well and is nice is more important than reliability when its 10 years old. Take my Jeep...would I want to own it over a Highlander at 100k miles? No. But new and less than 50k miles no question.
Old 05-13-13, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think that statement is probably true in general, but American carmakers are catching up.

For me, since I'm not going to own it more than 5 years having something thats built well and is nice is more important than reliability when its 10 years old. Take my Jeep...would I want to own it over a Highlander at 100k miles? No. But new and less than 50k miles no question.

Quick Reply: Lexus to Cancel ES?