Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus cancel the ES?
Yes
20.45%
No
79.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus to Cancel ES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-12, 10:08 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ES and GS occupy different demographics. As people mentioned above, most shoppers of the respective models don't cross shop them. The ES is the quintessential Lexus. Smooth, luxurious, quiet, easy to live with, decent performance. Along with the LS.
Old 03-04-12, 10:22 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes if you cancel the ES other sales in the GS ans IS will go up but doesn't mean it's going to help the overall sale of Lexus.

Also it's like saying cancel B,W 1-series which is the cheapest and focus more on the 3-series. Lexus is focus on the GS, especially now! Where have you been.

Just because you don't like the ES does not mean the ES should be cancelled.
Old 03-04-12, 10:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Pretty crazy idea from the OP. The starting mistake is saying the Camry and ES are the same. They are absolutely not, do not appeal to the same buyer, and have two different roles. It makes zero difference they are created off the same chassis. The end result is two totally different cars. Understanding that reality would be the first thing to address.

Then there's the ES vs. GS situation. Again, two totally different cars, different roles, and different demographic. There is no way in heaven the GS could replace ES sales.

Not understanding these two basic ideas is going to stunt all thinking beyond.
Old 03-05-12, 12:29 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Totally agree. I think they should cancel the RX as well. Re-badge Highlander taking sales from the LX. May be they should put 1.8L unit from Yaris and sell LX180 at cheaper price.
Old 03-05-12, 01:31 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Thing is most people I know who drive es's are the people who buy then could easily afford nicer more expensive cars, but they don't need it the Es just better suits their needs. The Es is a car thT a person buys because it's the smart choice over a person who buys a base BMW 3 or 5 series who most of the time buy it just to say they own a BMW. To be honest more people buy Mercedes and BMW for brand images than Lexus. Don't get me wrong they are nice cars, but there is a big difference who buy it because it's the smart choice vs those who want to impress the neighbors. The Es has enough characteristics to speedster it between the Gs..... The Infiniti stopped making the i35 nd replaced it with the G there once compact car, it worked for them but that's because the whole line needed a boost. Lexus is selling every vehicle at acceptable rates
Old 03-05-12, 04:23 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes the ES so special? Because it's every bit of 90% of an LS for 50k less. There isn't a sedan sold today in its price range that can even come close. It's extremely stylish and blissfully quiet and will coddle your a$$ better than any GS. Get rid of the ES? What are you thinking?
Old 03-05-12, 09:19 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

To the OP, well.............highly unlikely Lexus will cancel the ES (in fact they just released a whole new model a few days ago)

Here in the Philippines, the Lexus ES is one of the top 3 best-selling Lexus cars (according to Lexus Manila). In short, the ES sells.

P.S.
@to the OP
If you want to cancel a Lexus model, then you should suggest to Lexus to cancel the HS. HS250h is a joke. It only sells big in two-three major territories (Japan then mediocre sales in the Americas and that's about it).

Point is: The Lexus HS is a failure. You should ask Lexus to cancel that instead
Old 03-05-12, 09:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
To the OP, well.............highly unlikely Lexus will cancel the ES (in fact they just released a whole new model a few days ago)

Here in the Philippines, the Lexus ES is one of the top 3 best-selling Lexus cars (according to Lexus Manila). In short, the ES sells.

P.S.
@to the OP
If you want to cancel a Lexus model, then you should suggest to Lexus to cancel the HS. HS250h is a joke. It only sells big in two-three major territories (Japan then mediocre sales in the Americas and that's about it).

Point is: The Lexus HS is a failure. You should ask Lexus to cancel that instead
HS is cancelled :-).

ES is probably one of the best Lexus models for the money and i hope they start selling it in europe.
Old 03-05-12, 09:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

While I see where the OP is coming from, and can somewhat agree, it just won't happen. The ES is a huge chunk of Lexus' sales - cutting it doesn't give them more money for coupes and sports cars, it gives them LESS.

The points about ES and GS being cross shopped are most definitely true. I've said this for a long time and have watched it happen endless times when I worked in a dealership. Hell, it happened in my own family. To the average buyer, FWD vs. RWD doesn't matter, so ES and GS are essentially the same car with $10k separating them. It's no wonder that the GS gets killed in sales. With the 4GS' newfound aggression, I'm hoping that they soften the new ES to create more of a division between the two models. GS needs another 40hp to further differentiate itself as the "sporty" midsize Lexus.
Old 03-05-12, 04:41 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i understand where he coming from as far as the IS/GS/LS vs 3/5/7 or C/E/S type of lineups, but the ES or anything that have Camry underpinnings/platform WILL NOT go anywhere anytime soon, that platform is a golden egg for both toyota n lexus, they will cancel the GS b4 the ES
Old 03-06-12, 03:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
While I see where the OP is coming from, and can somewhat agree, it just won't happen. The ES is a huge chunk of Lexus' sales - cutting it doesn't give them more money for coupes and sports cars, it gives them LESS.

The points about ES and GS being cross shopped are most definitely true. I've said this for a long time and have watched it happen endless times when I worked in a dealership. Hell, it happened in my own family. To the average buyer, FWD vs. RWD doesn't matter, so ES and GS are essentially the same car with $10k separating them. It's no wonder that the GS gets killed in sales. With the 4GS' newfound aggression, I'm hoping that they soften the new ES to create more of a division between the two models. GS needs another 40hp to further differentiate itself as the "sporty" midsize Lexus.
well he is coming from someone writing on other boards how ES is just an Camry so lexus is glorified toyota.
I think thats the basics of the thinking. Rest of it doesnt make sense.
Old 03-06-12, 07:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Totally agree. I think they should cancel the RX as well. Re-badge Highlander taking sales from the LX. May be they should put 1.8L unit from Yaris and sell LX180 at cheaper price.
LMAO, what a funny post!

They should put only a 3 speed in the LX180. Call it "Lexus LX180 : The Three Speed".
Old 03-06-12, 07:36 AM
V8_MPG
Pole Position

Killing the ES is death to Lexus. I don't get why many people hate the ES, it is a great car for someone looking for a quiet and comfortable ride. Other people are not into handling and power.
Old 03-06-12, 07:43 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the ES/IS combo allows Lexus for each model to focus on something specific, ES - pure luxury and comfort, and the IS - Sport Luxury. This way neither car is too much of a compromise.
Old 03-06-12, 08:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

We often look at the monthly sales figures and say, "Well, between ES and IS, Lexus captured X volume in the entry level market." I think this logic makes sense based on price, but as we compare sales of Lexus (4GS) vs. the Germans (E Class and 5 Series) in the midsize luxury class, maybe it makes sense to consider the ES there too.

Yes, it's less expensive and FWD and not fun to drive, but it's technically larger than the GS and most definitely a midsize sedan. Not to mention, an A6 is FWD and can come with a 4cylinder. When you consider how much of the GS' potential sales is taken by the ES, perhaps we should say, "Well, between ES and GS, Lexus captured X volume of the midsize lux segment."

People laugh when I say this, but I've most commonly seen the ES cross shopped against the GS and E Class, and on the outside, the 528i. This is coming from someone who spent almost 2 years working in a Lexus dealership in one of the largest cities in the country.

Quick Reply: Lexus to Cancel ES?