Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nürburgring for sale, yours for only $165 million

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 12:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Nürburgring for sale, yours for only $165 million

Nürburgring for sale, yours for only $165 million

If you've been wondering what to do with that $165-million stack of pennies in your bedroom, we may have an idea for you. The Nürburgring is officially up for sale, including the arena, museum, Norschleife and even the defunct roller coaster. The government-owned motorsports complex fell into bankruptcy last July, and while we heard plenty of rumors on the topic of potential buyers, the list of serious parties interested in the complex has reportedly shrunk from somewhere around 50 to a more manageable five or 10. Jens Lieser, a state-appointed liquidator told BridgetoGantry.com that there isn't "a single Oligarch or Sheik amongst them."

That's good news for fans of the 'Ring who worried some impossibly wealthy individual would turn the track into their own personal playground. But those close to the fate of the facility say that doesn't mean the Nürburgring will necessarily continue on as fans know it right now. Any private company that looks to sink their teeth into the motorsports icon will undoubtedly start by looking into ways to reduce the track's losses, and that will likely start with cutting grassroots motorsports events and nixing public driving. While those two activities make the Nürburgring an icon the world over, they don't rake in cash.

Us? We can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be wise for automakers to pool their resources and set up a joint-venture of sorts. After all, many of them have dedicated skunkworks facilities near the track for testing purposes, and if the 'Ring falls into private hands, their ability to continue to operate may be drawn into question.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/18/n...y-165-million/
Old 03-18-13, 12:12 PM
Hoovey689

Hows everyone feel about a CL conglomerate pitching in?!

Driving the Nürburgring is on my bucket list

Last edited by Hoovey689; 03-18-13 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-18-13, 01:53 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

I got $10 right here!!
Old 03-18-13, 03:36 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a great internal measuring stick for this kind of thing, but that actually seems a bit cheaper than I would have expected... But maybe it's like buying a used exotic car or something. Gotta wonder how much $$$ you would spend on upkeep here.
Old 03-18-13, 04:43 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I don't have a great internal measuring stick for this kind of thing, but that actually seems a bit cheaper than I would have expected... But maybe it's like buying a used exotic car or something. Gotta wonder how much $$$ you would spend on upkeep here.
will need a lot of grounds keepers lol
Old 03-07-14, 12:26 PM
Hoovey689

Default Nürburgring about to be bought by American investor group

Nürburgring about to be bought by American investor group

Roughly 18 months after going bankrupt, being put up for sale (which prompted rumors that Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone would buy it), the Nürburgring is finally very close to having a new owner. While the final contracts reportedly aren't signed yet, German business magazine Wirtschaftswoche indicates that American investment group HIG Capital, British investor Meyrick *** and a German named Markus Graf Oeynhausen-Sierstorpff are buying the track for 60 million to 70 million euros ($83.2 million to $97 million).

HIG is reported to have purchased the essential parts of the track, which according to the magazine includes both the grand prix course and the 20km historic course used by tourist drivers, plus the hotel and amusement park. Whether it's also buying the track's museum isn't known yet.

According to Wirtschaftswoche, track administrator Jens Lieser says that there's still no final decision on one or more buyers for the circuit, but he reportedly acknowledges that the investor process is well underway. Even without the ownership being official yet, Reuters reports that HIG has already registered itself as the owner of some of the track's assets with the German Federal Cartel Authority.

Unfortunately, the future of F1 racing there is not assured, and Ecclestone's machinations are already at work. He told Reuters that the future of Formula 1 races at the 'Ring "depends who buys it" and suggested that he is working with Hockenheim to hold a race there every year. Currently, the two tracks alternate which hosts the German Grand Prix. While Ecclestone was rumored to buy the track multiple times, a recent report indicated that he was not among the highest bidders.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/07/n...can-investors/
Old 03-07-14, 07:36 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the annual maintenance cost?
Old 03-07-14, 10:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was wondering if the car companies would just finally man up and buy the damn thing and use it for testing. It would be a shame for the public to lose access to it. Its still a life long dream for me to spend the day there doing laps.
Old 03-07-14, 10:51 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

i was thinking the same thing lol.... we only need like $730 x 228k members lol
Old 03-08-14, 08:50 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$165M actually seems like a bargain. I would have estimated far more.
Old 03-08-14, 10:18 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
$165M actually seems like a bargain. I would have estimated far more.
I thought that too, considering all the rich heritage
Old 03-11-14, 05:13 PM
Hoovey689

Default Nürburgring officially sold for 100M euros

Nürburgring officially sold for 100M euros

The Nürburgring has been officially sold, and it wasn't to HIG Capital and its group of investors as we had previously expected. Instead, Düsseldorf-based Capricorn Development put in a last-minute bid to buy the track for 77 million euros ($106.8 million), and it's promising to invest a further 25 million euros ($34.7 million) into the historic racecourse. The company will take full ownership of the 'Ring on January 1, 2015.

Capricorn is saying all of the right things about its plans for the Green Hell. During the press conference that announced the sale, it said that motorsport will be the focal point of its ownership, and the track will remain open to the public. It wants to work with companies to create a technology center there and bring more industry to the Nürburgring region. The company already has an office at the 'Ring that supplies lightweight components to automakers and racing teams, according to RP Online.

According to Piston Heads, which attended the press conference, Capricorn's bid arrived with minutes to spare. It beat HIG Capital, which reportedly offered between 60 million and 70 million euros ($83.2 million to $97 million), because of the promise to bring new business to the area.

The major lingering question about the track's future is whether Formula 1 can remain at the grand prix course. Bernie Ecclestone previously threatened to hold future German Grands Prix only at Hockenheim. While it's too early to say for sure, Capricorn says that F1 is the pinnacle of the Nürburgring, according to Rhein Zeitung. At least we know it's valued.

After a year of questions, one of world's greatest racetracks will remain in German hands. If Capricorn stays true to its word, then it looks like the tracks legacy is only going to get better. The 'Ring lives!
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/11/n...or-100m-euros/
Old 10-31-14, 04:58 PM
Hoovey689

Default Nurburgring bought by Russian billionaire

The Nürburgring is among the greatest racetracks of the world, with decades of fantastic motorsports history born on the snaking course. However, it seems that running the place as a business is about as difficult as learning the 12.9 miles of corners on the Nordschleife. After a long bankruptcy sale, things appeared to be looking up for the track when a Düsseldorf-based business called Capricon bought the circuit for 77 million euros, plus the promise of future investment. However, just months after being sold once, the 'Ring has yet another new owner: Russian billionaire Viktor Kharitonin.

According to the German business magazine Wirtschafts Woche, the change in ownership came because Capricorn wasn't keeping up with its payments for the track. The company's boss Robtertino Wild was supposed to pay regular 5-million-euro ($6.3 millIon) installments but reportedly missed the second payment. When he couldn't come up with the funds, Kharitonin stepped in to take over for Capricorn's share. According to the magazine, the Russian has not only already paid the missed amount, but put the money down for December early. He has also set up a company called NR Holding AG to run things.

Kharitonin is a founder of Pharmstandard, Russia's largest pharmaceutical company. According to Wirtschafts Woche, Forbes estimates his net worth at over $1 billion and puts him as the 1,342nd richest person in the world.

While Kharitonin now has a controlling stake in the 'Ring, he's not the sole shareholder. According to the local Rhein Zeitung newspaper, Capricorn's bid only covers two-thirds of the track; the remaining third belongs to German motorsports company GetSpeed.

According to Rhein Zeitung, there are no changes to any of the tracks future events or races at this time.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/31/n...n-billionaire/
Old 11-01-14, 12:06 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Must be nice.
Old 11-01-14, 10:19 AM
Hoovey689

Indeed, owning (well part of at least) such history