Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota Highlander thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 09:54 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
but it wont be GX anymore and it wont be based on Prado.

And yeah, it would be based on stretched RX platform, not GS.
The latest Explorer and Durango are based on unibody not BOF. Does that make them any less Explorer or Durango? No. So the GX will still be GX save for on a RX platform

** if they were smart they would offer the GX with a 4WD system to keep some of it's off roading prowess
Old 03-29-13, 05:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The latest Explorer and Durango are based on unibody not BOF. Does that make them any less Explorer or Durango? No. So the GX will still be GX save for on a RX platform

** if they were smart they would offer the GX with a 4WD system to keep some of it's off roading prowess
difference being that GX will stay based on Prado, so if they make FWD based car, I doubt it will be called GX. Difference between Explorer and Durango is that Prado and its platform sell a lot and is profitable worldwide, not just USA. And it sells because it is truck so it is unlikely I guess.

They can call it VX :-)
Old 04-01-13, 06:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

new highlander looks decent in and out and i'm sure it's a fine vehicle overall.

i did chuckle at this, as the worst 'teaser' of all time.

Old 04-01-13, 08:16 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-02-13, 06:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I saw the Highlander at the NY show yesterday and it's ok.I don't like the rear design and black fender and lower rear trim.Not as big as it looks in the pics.
I asked about an HID option and the Toyota rep didn't know if HIDs will be available.
The Highlander wasn't getting much attention from the people.
Talk about lack of attention to a manufacturer,the Lincoln area was dead.
A few mulling around but it was bad.

Interesting tidbit was according to the Toyota rep with his IPad check, the '13 LX570 doesn't come with Blind Spot Monitor option.
Old 04-02-13, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Interesting tidbit was according to the Toyota rep with his IPad check, the '13 LX570 doesn't come with Blind Spot Monitor option.
did the '12?
Old 04-02-13, 09:59 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

^^ I have not seen it on any year of the LX. GX get's it worse though, it is the only 2013 Lexus vehicle to not have the latest navi system
Old 04-02-13, 10:10 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

^^ that is when the new IS already has a new design graphic than that found on the ES and GS, which is already in front of what is found on the GX
Old 04-05-13, 04:24 PM
HotTubTony
Driver School Candidate

It got bigger it looks like. Is the 4Runner growing as well? Sequoia staying for '14?
Old 04-05-13, 04:57 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HotTubTony
It got bigger it looks like. Is the 4Runner growing as well? Sequoia staying for '14?
Marginally bigger, still one of the smallest 3 row CUV's in the segment.

I believe the 4Runner will be a facelift, nothing architectural.

I think Sequoia will stay for '14. It has a pretty strong export market now.
Old 12-16-13, 11:13 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Default 2014 Toyota Highlander Reviews

They're starting to trickle out. Looks like a press event was held recently.

Overall, looks like another in the string of modest updates. Catching up to some of the competition, but nothing to really establish best-in-class or blow anybody away. This quote from Motor Trend captures my sentiment of Toyota/Lexus recently.

That’s the story of the refreshed, third-gen Highlander in a nutshell: It isn’t bad. It’s not particularly interesting, wonderful, game-changing, groundbreaking, innovative, a swing for the fences, or even class-leading. But it’s not a bad trucklike people-mover. The new Highlander is easier on the eyes; the interior has been jazzed up a touch; and the big girl doesn’t seem to wobble around as much as the last one did. Toyota achieved its goals. I just wish it had aimed higher.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...lander_review/

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...rst-drive.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...r_first_drive/
Old 12-16-13, 11:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Motortrend wanted a sports car with 400hp and not a family car... i dont see why is it so hard to review family cars as family cars... Cars.com "preview" is pretty good and explains important parts of new Highlander.

Not every car should be a sports car.
Old 12-16-13, 11:18 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Motortrend wanted a sports car with 400hp and not a family car... i dont see why is it so hard to review family cars as family cars... Cars.com "preview" is pretty good and explains important parts of new Highlander.

+1, it seems all automotive reviewers expect the "ultimate driving machine" out of whatever they are testing.
Old 12-16-13, 11:22 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

I'm not saying it needs to be a sports car, but I think they can do better. The competition in that segment is pretty steep right now. Durango is gaining traction, Pathfinder has done well with it's major change. Toyota's package is still a bit too small overall, could use some more updates to powertrains, etc.
Old 12-16-13, 12:49 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Not one single part of the MT review suggested to me that the Highlander ought to be a sports car. They were suggesting to buy a minivan instead. But for the zillions of people who still buy vehicles in this segment, what does the HL have to offer?

Originally Posted by MT
However, there’s some not-so-good thinking going on inside. Like Driver Easy Speak, a built in one-way microphone so that Daddy’s voice can be heard in the third row. What parent can’t yell at their kid from just a few feet away? Moreover, DES makes your voice sound like it’s coming through an Arby’s drive-thru speaker. It would be sad if it weren’t so laughable.
LMAO!

Originally Posted by MT
Both the XLE and the Limited come with the (also) carryover 3.5-liter V-6 good for 270 hp. I should point out that the new Highlander makes less power than the Traverse, Durango, and Explorer. It does make more than the Honda Pilot, though that vehicle is slated to get the 290-hp V-6 from the Acura MDX. Toyota repeatedly assured me that its customers don’t care about things like power or number of gears. Keeping with that theme, the transmission remains a six-speed automatic, though the programming logic is different. Even with the same old powertrain, the V-6 Highlanders are capable of hustling down the road… adequately.
Doesn't need more than 270hp. What it needs is beefier torque in the low-end and mid-range, especially in this weight class.

Anyways even thew new Honda Odyssey looks pretty darned cool. I could see trading in our X5d and old 2002 Highlander for an Odyssey, but just haven't been impressed with the 2nd gen Highlander, and this one doesn't look terribly exciting either. I LOVE our old 1st gen Highlander. Old school top notch Toyota build quality and polished refinement. The seats are fantastic, too. The seats in the 2nd gen were so bad for me that they would have been a deal-breaker even if I had wanted the car. Wonder how the seats are in the new one?

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota Highlander thread