Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota Highlander thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 10:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Sferndy Boom.

LOL!
Old 02-02-14, 06:11 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the way to the game (you know which game we mean), The Muppets' Toyota Highlander runs into a bit of traffic. Join the shenanigans by tweeting @Toyota with #NoRoomForBoring
After their Toyota Highlander spot airs during the game (that game), the Muppets get a little anxious to hear what the fans are tweeting about it. Join the shenanigans by tweeting @Toyota with #NoRoomForBoring
Old 02-02-14, 06:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Highlander ads stunk.
Audi small dog with the big head best up to this point.
Old 02-02-14, 06:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Highlander ads stunk.
Audi small dog with the big head best up to this point.
The game stinks. The commercials are the only thing to look for.
Old 02-02-14, 06:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
If someone doesn't Toyota or the Highlander much anyway it didn't matter what they did.
well i like toyota and the highlander, but still thought the commercial was dumb.

It also has 3 million views in 2+ days, I would kill for that….
it's polling well among 8 year olds.

Here, more to your liking, Honda…
Michael Bolton Winter Honda Commercials - YouTube
oh you're so funny, how do you stand it?

i did think the k900 'matrix' commercial was awesome though

Old 02-02-14, 06:59 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

yeah the kia and the audi ones were the best
Old 02-03-14, 10:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Merge to Advertising thread?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ng-thread.html
Old 02-12-14, 12:29 PM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

So did any one here buy/lease this thing?

My FX35 lease is up soon so its time to shop for new car. I had 4 FX35s in a row first gen to 2010, love that CUV but family is growing (2 boys now) and I find FX to be a bit tight this days.
2 car sits make it 4 person CUV ( and cargo area is not ohh so big.
Taking family for a week long trip to Pocono cabin requires very careful planning on what to take and some very creative car packing.

I will be cross shopping following trucks:

2014 Toyota Highlander XLE v6 AWD
2014 Dodge Durango LIMITED AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder SL AWD
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee LIMITED 4X4

If anyone had similar cross shopping experience please share...
Or if you have any of those trucks.

I'm in NY so AWD is a must, I absolutely love AWD on FX35, i can get through anything in it (common sense limitation and caution applied)
If you had a chance to compare any of the above in snow would love to hear how it fair against FX.

minivan is out of question ...
Old 02-12-14, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Out of curiosity, why aren't you looking at the QX60? To me if you like the FX...that would be my choice especially since you're looking at the Pathfinder which is the same vehicle.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee LIMITED 4X4
Not going to have much more room than your FX.
Old 02-12-14, 12:44 PM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Out of curiosity, why aren't you looking at the QX60? To me if you like the FX...that would be my choice especially since you're looking at the Pathfinder which is the same vehicle.

That is precisely why i'm not looking at QX60, its identical to Pathfinder aside from styling with 10k premium for identical options.

I agree GC will most likely be just as tight but i really like it, its my toss away option unless i can score a killer deal.
Old 02-12-14, 02:13 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Not necessarily true. Yes only two rows, but the packaging of the FX with its huge drivetrain hump and tapered roofline were serious compromises.

The Grand Cherokee should have a much more usable rear seat and have a better shaped cargo area.
Old 02-12-14, 02:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

We really like our Grand Cherokee, but we've not been happy with reliability. We've had a lot of little problems, and a lot of little problems add up to a big nuisance. Being accustomed to Infiniti the dealer experience will be a shock too (no loaners, etc), although it will for the rest of these vehicles too.

That is precisely why i'm not looking at QX60, its identical to Pathfinder aside from styling with 10k premium for identical options.
I've given this a lot of thought, because the QX60 is currently at the top of my list to replace our Jeep next year. On the surface you would think that but when you dig deeper its more than that.

A loaded AWD Platinum Pathfinder with the Premium package is $44,791. A similarly equipped QX60 is $51,045. So, the QX60 is $6,254 more expensive.

For that $6,254 in the QX60 you get:

1. The better Infiniti warranty
2. The better Infiniti dealer experience
3. Better Infiniti resale
4. HID headlamps
5. Slightly more power
6. Much more attractive styling IMHO, primarily in the front

When you look at the deals that can be had on the QX60 vs the Pathfinder, in my shopping this difference is more like $3,500-$4k. If you're leasing again, Infiniti has better residuals and lower MFs than Nissan...making the monthly difference pretty small.

To me the BIG reason to get the QX60 over the Pathfinder if its a vehicle your family is going to be using is the availability of safety features like PCS, backup collision warning/intervention, blind spot collision intervention, etc, etc that you can't get on the Pathfinder. I'd replace the theatre package with those options personally.

Originally Posted by pbm317
Not necessarily true. Yes only two rows, but the packaging of the FX with its huge drivetrain hump and tapered roofline were serious compromises.

The Grand Cherokee should have a much more usable rear seat and have a better shaped cargo area.
I own a Grand Cherokee and cross shopped it with the FX. Yes the Grand Cherokee has better headroom in the rear, but its not great. Cargo room is also not great, the cargo floor of the GC is very high.

I wouldn't choose my GC again if I had to put carseats in the back.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-12-14 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-18-14, 02:11 PM
TripleMs
Driver School Candidate

Just purchase a 2014 White Highlander wit almond leather. Limited model AWD. Got coach seats second row. I'm very pleased and much improvement over the the last generation. I love the grill, makes it look a lil more meaner. The black trim looks great on white especially the front lip hahah .. Only dislike is the taillights sticks out a little too much and wish it came wit black leather on white. Prefect for my family, three kids (4&3 yrs old & 4 month baby)
Old 02-18-14, 05:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

On the surface you would think that but when you dig deeper its more than that.

A loaded AWD Platinum Pathfinder with the Premium package is $44,791. A similarly equipped QX60 is $51,045. So, the QX60 is $6,254 more expensive.

4. HID headlamps
5. Slightly more power
In addition, you get a soft-touch plastic dash on the QX60 vs entirely hard plastic for the Pathfinder, and better fit/finish overall, which to me is worth the premium price tag.
Old 02-18-14, 06:21 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

4. HID headlamps
5. Slightly more power

When you look at the deals that can be had on the QX60 vs the Pathfinder, in my shopping this difference is more like $3,500-$4k. If you're leasing again, Infiniti has better residuals and lower MFs than Nissan...making the monthly difference pretty small.
It's everyone's personal choice, but I still can't justify speeding $6200 more for the Infiniti.

-Yes, it has a better warranty, but for probably $1,500, you can get a Nissan extended warranty that would be better than the Infiniti warranty
-To me, the dealer experience isn't that big of a deal, because on non-warranty items, I'm probably going to go to my local shop anyway. Plus, Infiniti's labor rates are probably higher than Nissan's.
-Of course you have a higher resale value--you paid $6,200 more for the car
-You do get HID's, which is insane that the Path doesn't offer them when the new Rouge does. I really would want HIDs, but not by spending that much more $$
-Slightly more power isn't ever going to be noticeable
-Styling is subjective

Two sides of the same coin--I personally just don't think it's worth it to move up to the QX60. I feel the same way about the MDX and the RX350. I'd get a loaded Highlander over an RX any day. But that's just me.

For those that lease, the numbers might come out closer, though.

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota Highlander thread