Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota Highlander thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 09:04 AM
TripleMs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Congrats on such a fine vehicle.
Thank you.. Does anyone knw if u can keep a cover on a car even if it's raining??
Old 02-27-14, 09:23 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleMs
Thank you.. Does anyone knw if u can keep a cover on a car even if it's raining??
Congrats on the Highlander!

Really depends on the cover... generally not recommended as water will go through most covers, and then would be trapped under it, could dry and then leave water spots, which could get dragged around by the cover in windy conditions.
Old 02-27-14, 09:58 AM
TripleMs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pbm317
Congrats on the Highlander!

Really depends on the cover... generally not recommended as water will go through most covers, and then would be trapped under it, could dry and then leave water spots, which could get dragged around by the cover in windy conditions.
Yah the cover that I got from toyota($216 expensive I say so myself haha)said not recommend but I wasn't Forsure. I'm going to keep it off when it rains then.
Old 02-27-14, 11:22 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The 2014 Toyota Highlander is all new with a slew of improvements, and it seats eight just like a minivan. We've got five reasons to check one out.
Old 02-27-14, 11:54 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Toyota for the invite!

Old 03-07-14, 11:06 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

We go for higher ground in the new Toyota Highlander.
Old 03-08-14, 04:58 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Southeast Toyota is not your friend.
Old 03-08-14, 09:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Southeast Toyota is not your friend.
qft. toyota should stop using them immediately. do they use a 'distributor' like this in other parts of the country?
Old 03-16-14, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts
Default Drove the new 2014 Highlander today, my thoughts vs our Jeep...

We're going to be replacing the Jeep in the next 6 months, and as always I'm starting early driving a lot of stuff to figure out what we want to get. May wind up with another Jeep, but we'd like three rows, and we'd like a return to Toyota reliability.

Drove the new 2014 Highlander today, was a fairly loaded Limited AWD model with the second row captains chairs, dark grey exterior, light grey interior.

My first impression of the new Highlander up close is that it feels significantly larger than the previous one. Sitting next to each other, the new Highlander is much more substantial looking. I like the looks of it from every angle but the front, and that is better in person and is growing on me. The Limited model I drove and that we would be interested in had the LED DRLs, and the polished look wheels (which really are a plastic cap over an aluminum wheel). Very attractive.

Inside the new Highlander is a big step up from the old one, as we've read in reviews. Materials are on the whole much better, in fact they're better than any Lexus below the GS in the sedans, and any SUV other than the LX IMHO. I would even say the materials are better in the new Highlander than they are in the GX. Obviously you don't have the real wood trim, etc...but still.

With that said, there are still cheap materials here, most notably as you would expect lower on the dash and door panels. Our Jeep has these materials present in the same area, but they are disguised better. On the Highlander they have sharp edges and mold lines where they don't on the Jeep.

Techwise the Highlander offers a suite of infotainment options that are familiar to Toyota/Lexus owners...nav is similar to whats in the GS. Better than my 2011 Jeep, but not nearly as high tech an infotainment package as is seen in the refreshed 2014 Jeep.

Out on the road I was very impressed. It rides smooth and refined, the power delivery is buttery smooth and linear as I would expect from that power train having had it in the ES. Space is great, seats are very comfortable, view is high and commanding. Ergonomics are excellent as one would expect. Very quiet, Lexuslike. Room in the first and second rows is excellent, third is okay for a 6" adult if you push the second row up moderately. Sizewise its not as adaptable as a Pathfinder/QX60, but better than an MDX or Explorer.

All in all, I liked it a great deal...but it doesn't "speak to me" the way the Jeep does. Its a very competent family 3 row hauler, and would be a very smart buy for us at this stage. BUT, I don't have the same connection to it I still do with the Jeep, despite the problems we've had. It certainly would be more practical than a 2 row 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, but the Overland overall feels more upscale, and has the feel that it was designed for more than just comfortable people transport which appeals to me. My wife would take the Highlander in a second...I'm probably going to prefer a new Jeep.

Costwise, at $42k vs $47k for a similar Overland, its cheaper, but when you factor in the fact that they will take $7-8k off an Overland, the Jeep is actually probably cheaper...and the Highlander compares more to a Grand Cherokee Limited than an Overland, and thats going to be buyable under $35k similarly equipped. No third row though.

Discussion is welcomed...

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-16-14 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-16-14, 10:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Great mini review sir

Inside the new Highlander is a big step up from the old one, as we've read in reviews. Materials are on the whole much better, in fact they're better than any Lexus below the GS in the sedans, and any SUV other than the LX IMHO. I would even say the materials are better in the new Highlander than they are in the GX. Obviously you don't have the real wood trim, etc...but still.
And there it is....

agree with all points
Old 03-16-14, 10:46 AM
jsanders
Driver

Nice review. I own a HL and drove the JGC before. I agree that the Jeep overall drives better, has a nice interior, and definitely has nicer tech. Still chose the HL due to lower price and much, much better long term reliability, quality, resale.
Old 03-16-14, 10:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Which Highlander do you have, do you have the new 2014?
Old 03-16-14, 10:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Does the new Highlander have a smoother ride than the RX?
Old 03-16-14, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would say it rides about the same...I didn't drive the RX and the Highlander back to back (I wanted to when I had that RX loaner a couple weeks ago, but the dealership screwing up my GS distracted me) so its hard for me to say.
Old 03-16-14, 04:33 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I haven't driven the new Highlander, but I've spent a good amount of time driving a 2012 Grand Cherokee that was fully loaded (I'm assuming the 2011/2012 jeep are the same) and it was much better than I had expected going into it, maybe i had this preconceived notion of old Jeeps, but anyways, compared to the current RX, which is very similar to the Highlander, I will say i liked the RX ride/comfort more. It also seemed smoother. The Jeep i drove had this weird wheel chatter that may have been a defect of just that car, but it only had 4,500 miles. The Jeep was a little bit more fun to drive though, and i really loved the thicker steering wheel and higher up feeling. For a family hauler, the Highlander make be better (if its like the new rx) but if it were just me driving I would prefer the Jeep. We own a 2008 RX350 which is like the last gen. Highlander, and the new RX is much more refined than the old gen RX, so i'd assume the same can be said for the Highlander.

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota Highlander thread