Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota Highlander thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 04:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

The Jeep is a very, very nice vehicle (the 2012 is the same as my 2011). Ridewise there must have been some issue with the one you drove, mine has no such chatter. I've said it before, but aside from the LS's my Jeep is probably the best riding highway cruiser I've ever had. It just gobbles up miles, very little fatigue, very quiet and smooth.

My issue with it is reliability, we've had a lot of little electrical problems...

As for the RX, the RX rides a little more carlike around town...because it is basically a car. The Jeep is trickier, it thrashes you side to side a little over train tracks, etc where the RX doesn't...but its also a lot beefier and more capable. On the highway though I think the Jeep rides much better than the RX, its very heavy and planted...
Old 03-16-14, 05:38 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review. I definitely agree with the interior part. It's better than most of the current Lexus lineup. The exterior does look a little better in person, but for me personally it's on the bloated side.
Old 03-16-14, 06:03 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Great review. You've have an interestin situation going on here- there's nothing like the jeep with 3 rows short of the LR4 or GX460. Wait for the Grand Wagoneer?
Old 03-16-14, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, and the LR4 is really old when it comes to seating configuration. GX is too really...third rows aren't real useful...
Old 03-16-14, 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Good review. I haven't driven the new Highlander, but I took a look at it at the D.C. auto show.

The latest-generation JGC, I agree, is seductive in the way it drives (and in at least some of the interior trim), but, like you, I'd be concerned about relability. Consumer Reports still rates it below average.

Since you seem to like the combination of a plush interior, smooth ride, drivetrain refinement, and third-row seating, you might also want to check out the Buick Enclave, which, in some trim versions, sells rougly in that price range. The Enclave is larger than either the Highlander or JGC, though, like the JGC, its reliability is not up to Toyota standards. But its third-row seat, unlike those of many other mid-sized SUVs, can actually seat decent-sized adults. The Enclave, like all new Buicks, comes with a 6/70 and 4/50 warranty matching that of Lexus. But, if the Enclave costs too much for you (or is too ornate inside for your tastes), the GMC Acadia and Chevy Traverse offer much the same basic mechanicals at a lower price, minus some of the Buick Quiet Tuning.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-16-14 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 08:59 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Check out the Sorento & Santa-Fe. They're also very good.
Old 03-16-14, 09:08 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Updated Durango should be nice. I agree with your thoughts on the new Highlander vs the Grand Cherokee 100% (owned a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland myself).
Old 03-16-14, 11:47 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

By any chance, have any current body style JGC owners have any trouble with their vehicles stalling whiling idling?

My wife's good friend has one going back soon but she said the problem started about a month into the lease. Dealership couldn't duplicate the problem.

A business associate had to meet up with my wife and I one morning. He had to have traveled at least 20 miles to get to us so his engine was warm. Upon leaving, he was on bluetooth and his car stalled 3 times. I came over and he said something about it having to do with the automatic start, but I think he was just very embarrassed and wanted to brush it off.

Another friend has one and although this could just be a fluke, we had gone out to a friend's bachelor party last week so the truck sat in the cold for 14+ hours. We got into the cold car the next afternoon and and he started it. He got out of the car for whatever reason and I felt the car tremble and I knew a stall was coming. The car stalled. He didn't get back to the car for a few minutes and immediately asked why his car was off. Upon telling him, he didn't seem totally convinced that we didn't mess around with it and swore nothing like that had ever happened before. He did not have remote start to my knowledge (or if he did, he didn't use it).

As I mentioned in another forum, I'm keeping an eye on trucks so I wanted to know if this was an epidemic similar to the transmission shudder of the Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain vehicles.

Michael.
Old 03-16-14, 11:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

it seems like you dont want to be seen in soccermom's car :-)
Old 03-17-14, 01:37 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I would think on a new 2014 Grand Cherokee they'd have all the 1st model year bugs ironed out long ago. I honestly would roll the dice on Chrysler reliability with a new 2014 Grand Cherokee. Mainly I just love how this SUV looks, the premium feel on the inside, the off-road capability.

Perhaps the biggest reason I love the Jeep is the capability. This is an honest to god truck, with a V8 facing north/south, a full time AWD system using a transfer case with low range, good ground clearance, decent approach/departure angles, 7000lb towing capacity. It isn't some sissy Camry based, transversely mounted V6 jacked up station wagon wannabee like most SUV's in that 20-50k price range.
Old 03-17-14, 04:36 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I would think on a new 2014 Grand Cherokee they'd have all the 1st model year bugs ironed out long ago. I honestly would roll the dice on Chrysler reliability with a new 2014 Grand Cherokee. Mainly I just love how this SUV looks, the premium feel on the inside, the off-road capability.
Apparently the 2014 was so thoroughly refreshed it introduced new problems. They really are turning into American Land Rovers.

Perhaps the biggest reason I love the Jeep is the capability. This is an honest to god truck, with a V8 facing north/south, a full time AWD system using a transfer case with low range, good ground clearance, decent approach/departure angles, 7000lb towing capacity. It isn't some sissy Camry based, transversely mounted V6 jacked up station wagon wannabee like most SUV's in that 20-50k price range.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 03-17-14, 05:11 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

To the OP. Thanks for the review. Very detailed and informative. Alex on Autos made similar comparisons of the Highlander to the RX in terms of quality fit/finish and ride quality. As such, there's a consistency in the reviews which makes it easy for one to reliably consider the Highlander. I agree with the comments, though I would not say the Highlander has better materials, fit/finish than the RX, but about the same for the majority of the interior and some less still - like plastic instead of the velvet-materials in the RX making up the headliner and interior console/glovebox that come to mind.

I'm loosely considering the Highlander Limited as a replacement to the RX but like you, the front is the weakest part, and next weakest for me is the "Sienna-like" rear, but in all other angles (side + rear 3/4) looks beefy: the goods from Grand Cherokee, Durango, and Ford Explorer. I also do not like the prospect of buying a vehicle that is (or will be) very common and the size is a tad too big. But the interior space and practicality for my family, Lexus RX-like ride, NVH and fit/finish are very appealing. Waiting to see the much smaller NX...
Old 03-17-14, 07:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the responses everybody. I'm going to reply to everybody so apologies in advance for this being long.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Since you seem to like the combination of a plush interior, smooth ride, drivetrain refinement, and third-row seating, you might also want to check out the Buick Enclave, which, in some trim versions, sells rougly in that price range.
I like the Enclave a lot, but its a little too big...and it doesn't have keyless entry and start which is an absolute requirement for my wife who has decreed she shall never again have a car without it. Thats a pretty glaring omission on Buick's part IMHO.

Originally Posted by yowps3
Check out the Sorento & Santa-Fe. They're also very good.
I have driven both. Don't care for the Sorrento, inside or out but I do like the Santa Fe. I have a friend with the 5 passenger and I drove the 7 passenger. My only fear is how well the styling will age, and space wise they aren't as spacious as the Highlander or the Pathfinder/QX60. But, I will absolutely seriously consider a Santa Fe.

Originally Posted by Rolexus600
By any chance, have any current body style JGC owners have any trouble with their vehicles stalling whiling idling?

My wife's good friend has one going back soon but she said the problem started about a month into the lease. Dealership couldn't duplicate the problem.
I have not heard of that sort of stalling problem. If you want a good forum to post on for the Jeep, or to direct her to try www.jeepgarage.com

Originally Posted by spwolf
t seems like you dont want to be seen in soccermom's car :-)
This is true! Since we have no kids yet...

As Tango said, the 2014 has a completely different uconnect system, engine control system, new transmissions, a lot of changes and they've had issues primarily with that.

Those are the reasons I like the Jeep too...I wish they would make one with more room and improve reliability.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I agree with the comments, though I would not say the Highlander has better materials, fit/finish than the RX, but about the same for the majority of the interior and some less still - like plastic instead of the velvet-materials in the RX making up the headliner and interior console/glovebox that come to mind.
The difference is when I sit in an RX I am struck by how poor many of the materials are...when I sit in the Highlander that doesn't occur...while it did in the previous Highlander.

The RX has hard, thin plastic around the gearshift lever and console, your fingernails bump that all the time and it just feels awful IMHO. It literally makes me cringe. The door panels in the RX are flat and styleless, and the wide expanse of flat plastic looks flimsy, and the material itself is flimsy. The material for the upholder on the left of the steering wheel is hard and cheap, and you touch that all the time.

On the Highlander, those cheap plastics are hidden in places you wouldn't touch, and they use metalized plastic trim that looks and feels better to create barriers between the high end materials and low end materials. Places you touch feel good, places you don't...dont. The console has a harder plastic face, but the styling suggests thats intentional to provide a robust surface to lay things on, use the cupholders, etc.

The headliner is better in the RX, but the headliner in the Highlander is worlds better than what it used to have which felt like a cardboard McDonalds tray, and is very comparable to what you find in say a BMW, Mercedes or Audi (without alcantara obviously). I'd rather have the headliner from the 2014 Highlander in the RX and have those crappy plastics in those areas I mentioned be nicer, softer plastics.
Old 03-17-14, 08:57 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ As an owner of a 3RX, you've got me intrigued now since there is truth to what you are saying about the RX. It now means I will have to check the Highlander again and more carefully assess its interior.
Old 03-17-14, 09:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I mean I understand the financial reality, there has to be cost cutting in places on these vehicles to keep price down. Its about being smart about where those cheap plastics are used. My issue with Lexus with the RX and the new ES is that they are putting these cheap plastics in areas where the driver touches them every time they drive the car, which is just stupid. On the RX its that area around the shifter and the console, the plastic around where your fingers go when you slide back the console lid. The glovebox door and cupholder lid. On the new ES its the console top, and most egregiously the plastic around the door handles on the inside...which is for some reason the cheapest nastiest plastic on the whole door! Why is it not the nice padded plastic that is right above it? Make that harder since nobody touches it...your fingers brush the crappy plastic every time you open the door.

Its better hidden on the IS...and the direction they've gone with the Highlander gives me hope that they realize the issue and are going to change their design decisions.

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota Highlander thread