Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Kia Cadenza (Edmunds)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 06:58 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Right. But I wasn't talking about winning a comparison in driving dynamics, I was specifically referring to
quality in construction and reliability. If you were to look at the Genesis and 300 up close you would see that
the 300's assembly is pretty pathetic. Lift up the trunk and take a good look at the welds along the trough all
the way down past the tail light. Then look at the careless way in wich they slather on the sealer that covers
those welds. The Genesis in this area is "swiss watch" precise while the 300 looks like it was done by a
"hack and wack" body shop. Long term reliability? Chrysler is one of the worst in the industry. Again, they
have somewhat improved over time but they still remain "worst of the worst". Give me the Genesis any day.
I see what you mean now. That really doesn't have to do much with how the car rides, drives, and will perform years from now though. The two also definitely on the same plane when it comes to interior fit and finish. Furthermore, reliability statistics for the newest crop of Chrysler vehicles has been promising although they haven't been on the market long enough to tell what will happen 5 years from now.

Naturally when they were broke and being passed around like a diseased prostitute their quality slipped dramatically.
Old 03-25-13, 07:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
features/price at least, it looks like it will give an ES a good fight. but of course it takes more than that to do well.
It does not, the ES will remain unscratched. I had a convo with some gentlemen and the Azera isn't faring very well for them. What the Cadenza does is continue to elevate the Kia brand with the next model being the one of true interest. That is what these cars do, they don't sell very well here (Cadenza won't either) but they are very credible offerings vs the Avalon, Maxima etc and they hope to keep their loyal customers that want to move up. They don't expect many conquest sales at all. There is a growing KDM market of loyal buyers who are very happy with the cars and brands no different than a JDM or Euro etc owner who won't buy anything else.

People on the internet still seem to think the Genesis sedan sold well but it did not. For all the internet fluffery it never met sales goals and the majority of its life it has some incredible offers in regards to leasing or 6-8k off the car. It did get a solid number of people who bought the car and it will be interesting will they stay or leave. Browsing the Genesis forums it seems if the price goes up one iota, they are leaving. Which lets us know PRICE is still their biggest selling point, not the actual vehicle itself.

Kia is now pushing its price boundaries and they will find out first hand what will people think of a 35-40k Kia. Its bold in its attempt and the Cadenza is a solid car to try it in.