Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do YOU think electronic tracking of teenaged drivers in you family would be helpful?
No, I trust my kids behind the wheel.
14.29%
No, I don't want to violate their trust in me.
14.29%
Yes, as Reagan said to Gorbachev, "trust but verify".
42.86%
Yes, I want to know where my kid is and what he's doing.
14.29%
I admit, I don't know.
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Tracking Your Teen's Driving . . . a Good Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
So then I say put a chip in them and their vehicles. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.
I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't saying that parents don't have that option (they certainly do) The point I was making, in reply to bagwell's post about teens living at home, is that most of them have little or no practical choice.

And, don't forget.....even for the ones who are lousy drivers, a lot of today's kids are smart when it comes to electronic devices. Stick one on and they may (?) likely find a way around it.
Old 03-25-13, 11:45 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, don't forget.....even for the ones who are lousy drivers, a lot of today's kids are smart when it comes to electronic devices. Stick one on and they may (?) likely find a way around it.
OK, then track them and don't tell them.

To me, it's akin to giving your teenager complete access to the internet with Facebook accounts and such, but never monitoring the accounts. I think teenagers need to be periodically monitored....or else they could make permanent mistakes that could stay with them forever (or for a long time). I'd rather them be mad at me, yet make it out of their teenage years unscathed........rather than "trust them" completely, and they make one huge mistake that they'll regret forever (teen pregnancy, drug addiction, bad car accident, etc.)

I know this is a tough decision for a parent. But many parents are clueless, and their kids have run amok.

I would hope I would make the decision that would protect my child the best, and would allow me to live with the least amount of regret as possible.

About one child every day goes missing, and that's the truly missing children....as this doesn't include runaways or a parent wisking their child away amidst a custody battle. Only about 300 missing-child reports each year fit the profile of an abduction by a stranger or vague acquaintance. So almost one per day. Doesn't sound like a lot, until it's your son or daughter. Then, after the fact, most of us will wish we simply had a tracking device on our child somewhere so they can be found quickly before any potential harm comes. Of course, 80% of the abducted teens are girls, and half are sexually assaulted.

It's a scary world. We have lo-jack for our precious cars, I certainly wouldn't mind having one for my beloved child.

So, in the end, it's not that I solely don't trust them, I don't trust the world around them either.

And I'm an optimist at heart, really...I am

Last edited by KevinGS; 03-25-13 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-25-13, 11:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
OK, then track them and don't tell them.
GM just might (?) already have that ability with its factory On-Star system, though, if so, they are bound by privacy laws unless requested by parents or law enforcement.
Old 03-25-13, 02:49 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts

They would realize you're tracking them the first time you called at 1 am and tore them a new rectum for being in a bad part of town.
Old 03-25-13, 02:58 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
They would realize you're tracking them the first time you called at 1 am and tore them a new rectum for being in a bad part of town.
LOL

You'd have to become a more savvy parent. You'd have to like send one of your friends or an uncle or aunt over there...and act like they just "happened to be in the area". Then you see their car parked where it shouldn't be, and you make it seem like they got "spotted" by one of your friends or a relative. You ask why they were there. You let them lie. And you don't make a big deal of it, THIS time. But you let them know that this is Strike 1.

The NEXT time you catch them (same method, someone just HAPPENED to spot them), then you ground them. Take away their driving privileges, for lying and going some place they shouldn't.

The third time (and since they are teens, there will often be a third time), you nail them to the wall.

And even if they aren't driving, you can still catch them....just have to send in a 'plant', someone who just happened to be at the same party or event. This may be a good time to become friends with a neighberhood police officer. He or she could just "show up" unexpectedly and nab them.

You do everything possible to keep your surveillance package under wraps.
Old 03-25-13, 04:20 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I would't say i was/am reckless, but if they tracked my car and knew where i was and how fast i was going, I'd be in deep ****
Old 03-25-13, 04:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts

I grew up in a small town driving an 89 Pontiac Firebird......my parents didn't need a tracking device to know I drove fast.
Old 03-25-13, 06:53 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I would't say i was/am reckless, but if they tracked my car and knew where i was and how fast i was going, I'd be in deep ****
See, a tracking device would have been perfect for your parents.
Old 03-25-13, 07:25 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Tracking isn't a trust issue if you tell them they're being tracked.

Keep in mind also that parents have an implicit interest in the driving habits of their minor children, since they are often responsible for damages caused.