Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So What's The Theory Behind Clear Coat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 06:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

If you have chipping on your hatch, you have to have had something hitting your hatch to cause the chipping...

Originally Posted by 97SC300
Most clearcoats, are MUCH harder than paint. Those old cars you are talking about were probably garaged their entire lives, which is why they are still in good shape. Take two brand new cars, paint them the same color, clearcoat one of them, leave the other with just the base paint, and keep boh cars outside unde the same conditions. I guarantee you the one with the clearcoat will outlast that one without it.
Just to clear this up, because there is a lot of misinformation out there. To make the statement "clearcoats are much harder than paint" is to imply that clearcoat is not paint. Its paint, its the same paint its just clear (or even tinted depending on the color). They do put some additional hardners in clearcoat but it is still just paint.

As to if you painted one car with just the base coat and painted one with a clear the one with the clear would last longer...of course it would, since the base paint is not designed to be applied without the clear.

Modern paints are very different than the solvent/oil based paints used way back when. Those paints held up much better than modern paint, paint was applied much thicker. You could polish, and polish and polish that paint and never burn through.
Old 03-25-13, 09:47 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW10ES
If you have chipping on your hatch, you have to have had something hitting your hatch to cause the chipping...

Just to clear this up, because there is a lot of misinformation out there. To make the statement "clearcoats are much harder than paint" is to imply that clearcoat is not paint. Its paint, its the same paint its just clear (or even tinted depending on the color). They do put some additional hardners in clearcoat but it is still just paint.

As to if you painted one car with just the base coat and painted one with a clear the one with the clear would last longer...of course it would, since the base paint is not designed to be applied without the clear.

Modern paints are very different than the solvent/oil based paints used way back when. Those paints held up much better than modern paint, paint was applied much thicker. You could polish, and polish and polish that paint and never burn through.
I think 97ES300 was referring to single stage vs. two-stage/clear. I don't think he meant to say "base" coat. He is correct, however, in that clear coated paint job will outlast a single stage paint job by far.
Old 03-25-13, 10:17 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Not necessarily, could have just been a **** paint job. But even if it was from a strike of some sort, my 2000 BMW certainly got hit with more stuff over its 12 years and 110k miles parked on the street every night, than the 2007 Lexus did over 6 years and 76k miles parked in the garage every night. So they should have a similar number of chips, but it's not even remotely close.
Old 03-25-13, 11:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I think 97ES300 was referring to single stage vs. two-stage/clear. I don't think he meant to say "base" coat. He is correct, however, in that clear coated paint job will outlast a single stage paint job by far.
I disagree. The single stage paint job is going to require more maintenance, but lifespan is a separate issue.

For years Lexus used single stage black, for instance. That single stage black paint cleans up beautifully.

Originally Posted by geko29
Not necessarily, could have just been a **** paint job. But even if it was from a strike of some sort, my 2000 BMW certainly got hit with more stuff over its 12 years and 110k miles parked on the street every night, than the 2007 Lexus did over 6 years and 76k miles parked in the garage every night. So they should have a similar number of chips, but it's not even remotely close.
Sure, your 2000 BMW was manufactured right before EPA guidelines required carmakers to start using low VOC water based paints. Paint is unfortunately not nearly as robust as it once was.

Can you post some pictures of this chipping on your hatch? I've never seen anything like that, and chipping at the rear would be very strange.
Old 03-25-13, 01:44 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, your 2000 BMW was manufactured right before EPA guidelines required carmakers to start using low VOC water based paints. Paint is unfortunately not nearly as robust as it once was.
I assume this regulation applies to everyone? Why has it disproportionately affected Japanese automakers? Lexus, Subie and Infiniti boards are littered with people whining about soft paint.
Old 03-25-13, 02:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It applies to everyone.

I don't know that it does disproportionately affect Japanese brands. I'm on a Jeep forum and people ***** about it all the time. I've seen similar comments on the MB forums, BMW forums...