Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Acura MDX Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 08:03 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
When most people share an opinion (as in this case the new mdx is bland/ugly/minivanish) that doesn't make them haters. It seems the majority agrees. If you like it fine, that doesn't make you blind.

FYI there is a multi-quote feature.
BLUEPRINT a.k.a 1SICK always like to write negative "S" about my post anyways so I could care less...
bland, ugly thats just opinion, OK... saying it minivanish are for the haters or the ignorant, u take your pick.
Old 07-16-13, 08:12 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
from looking at those pics, it has too much chrome bling front and back, including the ugly silver beak (which i thought they were trying to underplay more these days? ).
those chrome looking lips are oem accessories, the car looks a lot more elegant without them.
Old 07-16-13, 02:05 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
those chrome looking lips are oem accessories, the car looks a lot more elegant without them.
Agree. I would paint it graphite.
Old 07-16-13, 03:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
thanks, good to know. still, the beak needs a trim.
Old 10-28-13, 07:44 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

I've now seen enough of the new MDXs on the road to have a better impression of them.

The outgoing MDX was big and bold and had a lot of road presence. The new one is much more understated, and it's very difficult to tell it from its smaller brother the RDX. Doesn't stand out nearly as much, which is bad. They seemed to have "feminized" it, similar to the 2nd generation Infiniti FX vs. the muscular and brawny looking 1st generation FX model. And the "Jewel Eye" headlights are not the least bit distinctive on the road. They don't look any better than the higher model Honda Accords that have LED running lights, and especially don't distinguish themselves like BMW angel eyes do, or especially the Audi lighting designs. Jaguars, and the Tesla Model S all have nice and distinctive designs. Even some VWs and other basic non-luxury model cars have nice and distinctive LED designs. Does a straight strip of LEDs really pass at the luxury level? I don't think so. Need to get more creative than that. Some newer Mercedes are using orange LED lighting around the main headlamps in a distinctive shape, to set it apart from the sea of white LED lighting.

So overall, at least in the exterior looks department, pretty disappointing.

All of that money dumped into these Jewel Eye headlights just to not look anymore distinctive than a Honda Accord.

Sigh.
Old 10-28-13, 09:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I've now seen enough of the new MDXs on the road to have a better impression of them.

The outgoing MDX was big and bold and had a lot of road presence. The new one is much more understated, and it's very difficult to tell it from its smaller brother the RDX. Doesn't stand out nearly as much, which is bad. They seemed to have "feminized" it, similar to the 2nd generation Infiniti FX vs. the muscular and brawny looking 1st generation FX model. And the "Jewel Eye" headlights are not the least bit distinctive on the road. They don't look any better than the higher model Honda Accords that have LED running lights, and especially don't distinguish themselves like BMW angel eyes do, or especially the Audi lighting designs. Jaguars, and the Tesla Model S all have nice and distinctive designs. Even some VWs and other basic non-luxury model cars have nice and distinctive LED designs. Does a straight strip of LEDs really pass at the luxury level? I don't think so. Need to get more creative than that. Some newer Mercedes are using orange LED lighting around the main headlamps in a distinctive shape, to set it apart from the sea of white LED lighting.

So overall, at least in the exterior looks department, pretty disappointing.

All of that money dumped into these Jewel Eye headlights just to not look anymore distinctive than a Honda Accord.

Sigh.
The read below is hilarious.

Acura's New Ads Prove Acura Has No Idea What It's Doing

http://jalopnik.com/acuras-new-ads-p...ing-1369932279

It seems they have to mention "Extremely New MDX" to remind themselves and others it actually is new

Last edited by LexFather; 10-28-13 at 09:14 AM.

Old 10-28-13, 09:20 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

One thing I noticed that had me scratching my head was they covered the exhaust opening with a red lens where it's normally an opening for the exhaust like a lot of cars are using for their design???

Old 10-28-13, 09:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,574 Posts

the ad referenced is about as awful as this one.

top comments about the acura commercial though cracked me up...
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Acura MDX Unveiled-acuracommercials.jpg  

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-28-13 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 09:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
One thing I noticed that had me scratching my head was they covered the exhaust opening with a red lens where it's normally an opening for the exhaust like a lot of cars are using for their design???

I think the new RDX has a similar treatment in back. No dual tips. The single exhaust is under the bumper and not too visible. Similar to the RX.
Old 10-28-13, 10:05 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

It seems they have to mention "Extremely New MDX" to remind themselves and others it actually is new

Acura MDX Commercial: Will of the Driver - YouTube
Wow. Driving modes. My mom's old old old 1985 TOYOTA CAMRY had that with Eco and "PWR" buttons as old Toyota's had, and "Normal" mode if neither were pushed.

Old 10-28-13, 10:15 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The outgoing MDX was big and bold and had a lot of road presence.
...but only the post-MMC facelift version that has the chrome trim around the door windows. I saw a grey pre-facelift one (rear three-quarter view) on the dark and dreary drive in to work this morning, and if not for the fact that I knew it was an up-market Acura I was looking at, I would have dismissed it as just another dreary, generic SUV -- seen one, seen them all.

The bit of chrome trim added during the facelift really helps to brighten and lift up the perceived luxury value of the car.

Ouch!
Old 10-28-13, 10:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the ad referenced is about as awful as this one.
Wow, that new IS commercial was horrible

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think the new RDX has a similar treatment in back. No dual tips. The single exhaust is under the bumper and not too visible. Similar to the RX.

You're right. Thanks for pointing that out.
Stick foot in mouth

I'm just so used to seeing this and jumped rather quickly.

Old 10-28-13, 10:48 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu
...but only the post-MMC facelift version that has the chrome trim around the door windows. I saw a grey pre-facelift one (rear three-quarter view) on the dark and dreary drive in to work this morning, and if not for the fact that I knew it was an up-market Acura I was looking at, I would have dismissed it as just another dreary, generic SUV -- seen one, seen them all.

The bit of chrome trim added during the facelift really helps to brighten and lift up the perceived luxury value of the car.
Honestly they all look about the same to me. Bold and handsome. I see them all the time. I'll have to start paying a bit more attention and see if I can notice the older/newer designs of that bodystyle. The new one does look similar, but just doesn't stand out to me at all anymore. They've softened it up a lot. Similarly I liked the original C-class of a couple of years ago with the edgier design. They softened it up on the refresh a few years back. So it's not just Acura.
Old 10-28-13, 10:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Honestly they all look about the same to me. Bold and handsome. I see them all the time. I'll have to start paying a bit more attention and see if I can notice the older/newer designs of that bodystyle. The new one does look similar, but just doesn't stand out to me at all anymore. They've softened it up a lot. Similarly I liked the original C-class of a couple of years ago with the edgier design. They softened it up on the refresh a few years back. So it's not just Acura.
Like them or not, Acura does know how to sell SUV's. I'm sure they'd like more sedans in the mix but until that happens, I'm sure they'll take every MDX/RDX sale they can get.
Old 10-28-13, 11:22 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Like them or not, Acura does know how to sell SUV's. I'm sure they'd like more sedans in the mix but until that happens, I'm sure they'll take every MDX/RDX sale they can get.
I think they need the SUV sales since it helps them make up for how horrible the sedan sales have been.

Quick Reply: 2014 Acura MDX Unveiled