Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Acura MDX Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 12:07 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious...is the MDX built on the same frame as the Honda Pilot? Thanks...Tom
Old 10-28-13, 12:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Yes and production moved from Canada to Alabama where it is built alongside the Pilot.

Old 10-28-13, 05:37 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin

Honda claims that this new MDX is on its own unique platform, shared with no other vehicle in its lineup. I suspect that will only be true until the new Pilot comes out next year and the next Odyssey minivan comes out in about 2 years.
Old 10-28-13, 10:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I've now seen enough of the new MDXs on the road to have a better impression of them.

The outgoing MDX was big and bold and had a lot of road presence. The new one is much more understated, and it's very difficult to tell it from its smaller brother the RDX. Doesn't stand out nearly as much, which is bad. They seemed to have "feminized" it, similar to the 2nd generation Infiniti FX vs. the muscular and brawny looking 1st generation FX model. And the "Jewel Eye" headlights are not the least bit distinctive on the road. They don't look any better than the higher model Honda Accords that have LED running lights, and especially don't distinguish themselves like BMW angel eyes do, or especially the Audi lighting designs. Jaguars, and the Tesla Model S all have nice and distinctive designs. Even some VWs and other basic non-luxury model cars have nice and distinctive LED designs. Does a straight strip of LEDs really pass at the luxury level? I don't think so. Need to get more creative than that. Some newer Mercedes are using orange LED lighting around the main headlamps in a distinctive shape, to set it apart from the sea of white LED lighting.

So overall, at least in the exterior looks department, pretty disappointing.

All of that money dumped into these Jewel Eye headlights just to not look anymore distinctive than a Honda Accord.

Sigh.
Sadly, I am going to have to agree with this. Now that I've seen it for a few months, it's bland, dopey, dumpy, flabby, overweight and soft in appearance. The previous model appeared athletic and projected a sporty personality. Acura went generic with this one, and is now just a model or two away from completely destroying the company's line-up. Maybe in two or three years, they will have managed to destroy all Acura models.
Old 10-28-13, 10:51 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For all the hoopla about the MDX's jewel LED headlights, I was shocked to find out it ditched its LED tail lights for incandescent bulbs! WTF! Even the new Accord has optional LED tails. Quite surprising for what's supposed to be a premium luxury vehicle.
Old 10-28-13, 11:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Acura messed up on the exterior, but they did a good job under the hood. It's quite efficient compared to the older model.
Old 10-29-13, 01:50 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
For all the hoopla about the MDX's jewel LED headlights, I was shocked to find out it ditched its LED tail lights for incandescent bulbs! WTF! Even the new Accord has optional LED tails. Quite surprising for what's supposed to be a premium luxury vehicle.
They also ditched the sporty chrome exhaust outlets. Then again, so did Lexus on the RX. At least the RX has a manual auto-shifter.
Old 10-29-13, 06:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Acura messed up on the exterior, but they did a good job under the hood. It's quite efficient compared to the older model.
Plus, they reduced the weight by 300 lbs. A step in the right direction IMO.
Old 10-29-13, 07:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Plus, they reduced the weight by 300 lbs. A step in the right direction IMO.
and it lost 10 hp, a step in the wrong direction. I guess they had to drop "Advance" for "Made for Mankind" since for every advance, there is a step back.

Old 10-29-13, 08:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
and it lost 10 hp, a step in the wrong direction. I guess they had to drop "Advance" for "Made for Mankind" since for every advance, there is a step back.
According to C&D, "quicker, quieter, more fuel efficient". Three steps - Four with weight savings?
Their comments on styling, "Mushy and indistinct exterior styling". I agree.
Old 10-29-13, 11:07 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

and it lost 10 hp, a step in the wrong direction.
I'm okay with a 10hp loss as long as they make up for it by going on a diet. The difference in fuel economy is probably worth the 10hp loss. Still, I wouldn't buy one based on looks alone.
Old 10-29-13, 03:04 PM
roushracin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It goes 0-60 over a half second quicker than the 2013, and gets about 7mpg more than the previous model. How is losing 10hp a step in the wrong direction?
Old 10-29-13, 03:33 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roushracin
It goes 0-60 over a half second quicker than the 2013, and gets about 7mpg more than the previous model. How is losing 10hp a step in the wrong direction?
People need to find something to dislike about it I suppose. Like you said it's faster and more fuel efficient so it losing 10hp is really a moot point. What good is adding 50 horse power if it doesn't translate to any extra benefits?

People are dense

I think the new MDX is a great effort by Acura and I'm sure they'll sell a ton. I'm glad they went the weight saving route and bucking the trend of adding more weight but compensating with more power. With less weight you usually get better handling dynamics.
Old 10-29-13, 03:44 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by McMuffin
People need to find something to dislike about it I suppose. Like you said it's faster and more fuel efficient so it losing 10hp is really a moot point. What good is adding 50 horse power if it doesn't translate to any extra benefits?

People are dense

I think the new MDX is a great effort by Acura and I'm sure they'll sell a ton. I'm glad they went the weight saving route and bucking the trend of adding more weight but compensating with more power. With less weight you usually get better handling dynamics.
Agreed, i think the new MDX looks good compared to its compeititors, considering everything else is pretty round and bulbous.
Old 10-29-13, 06:11 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm surprised the new MDX is getting lukewarm reviews in Motortrend's 2014 SUV of the year contest. it was part of the contending group while Dodge Durango, Jeep GC and Hyundai Santa Fe all made the final round. from what i've seen the outdated navi graphic was the main issue.

Quick Reply: 2014 Acura MDX Unveiled