Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Acura MDX Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 06:44 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you price out a decently loaded MDX and RX350. The RX isnt as a good value as compared to what you get with the MDX. MDX has a 3rd row, which is nice. MDX is about 6 inches longer overall with 3 inch longer wheelbase. RX350 looks aged compared to the MDX. I have an RX as a loaner until they do the recall on my IS350. Not that impressed with the RX interior

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-29-13 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-29-13, 08:28 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Horse power is irrelevant, the car is around 500 lb lighter weight probably weighs the same as a rx350 but with a larger interior.

I drove the 14 MDX several times we own a 2007 MDX with 130k miles so I can tell the the new MDX drives better, better pickup, handles better more connected to the road, much better fuel economy. Really no downside for the new MDX except the how they package the options if you want the active cruise control with collision mitigation system you need to get it with a $7000 option package.
Old 10-30-13, 06:00 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by McMuffin
People need to find something to dislike about it I suppose. Like you said it's faster and more fuel efficient so it losing 10hp is really a moot point. What good is adding 50 horse power if it doesn't translate to any extra benefits?

People are dense

I think the new MDX is a great effort by Acura and I'm sure they'll sell a ton. I'm glad they went the weight saving route and bucking the trend of adding more weight but compensating with more power. With less weight you usually get better handling dynamics.
All that is good. But why did they need to dumb down the looks and make it so boring looking? And why are they talking up these "Jewel Eye" headlights if they seriously don't look any more distinctive than what's on the Honda Accord? Why are they doing a better job on the Honda Accord than they are on the MDX and RLX? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Somebody across the street from us has the new MDX, and it's the most bland and boring design I've ever seen. Everything that was distinctive looking about the previous MDX has been taken away, and now it's just a bland blob that you don't even notice. Some nice steps forward on the engineering, but a step or two back on the design, imho. Acura can't afford to be taking any steps back.
Old 10-30-13, 07:20 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The real test with the new MDX is if consumers buy the vehicle. It might be too early to judge its success or failure. The RDX has been out long enough and looks like a success with buyers. 34k sold thru September +69%.
Old 10-30-13, 07:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i'm surprised the new MDX is getting lukewarm reviews in Motortrend's 2014 SUV of the year contest. it was part of the contending group while Dodge Durango, Jeep GC and Hyundai Santa Fe all made the final round. from what i've seen the outdated navi graphic was the main issue.
Obviously MotorTrend is dense

Originally Posted by McMuffin
People need to find something to dislike about it I suppose. Like you said it's faster and more fuel efficient so it losing 10hp is really a moot point. What good is adding 50 horse power if it doesn't translate to any extra benefits?

People are dense

I think the new MDX is a great effort by Acura and I'm sure they'll sell a ton. I'm glad they went the weight saving route and bucking the trend of adding more weight but compensating with more power. With less weight you usually get better handling dynamics.
Originally Posted by roushracin
It goes 0-60 over a half second quicker than the 2013, and gets about 7mpg more than the previous model. How is losing 10hp a step in the wrong direction?
FYI since Acura is decontenting, you both are comparing the FWD MDX with the previous SH-AWD model which was standard and again it lost 10hp. Maybe some of you are not aware the MDX is now FWD standard.:uh

MPG is still a good jump.
2013 16-21
2014 FWD- 20-28
2014 AWD-18-27

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
if you price out a decently loaded MDX and RX350. The RX isnt as a good value as compared to what you get with the MDX. MDX has a 3rd row, which is nice. MDX is about 6 inches longer overall with 3 inch longer wheelbase. RX350 looks aged compared to the MDX. I have an RX as a loaner until they do the recall on my IS350. Not that impressed with the RX interior
Value is relative. The market has spoken and people love both the RX and MDX.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The real test with the new MDX is if consumers buy the vehicle. It might be too early to judge its success or failure. The RDX has been out long enough and looks like a success with buyers. 34k sold thru September +69%.
There are great/outstanding cars that sell well and average and bland/Camryish cars that sell. The RDX is the latter. People beat up bland/boring cars that sell all the time here so let's not give a pass right?

Old 10-30-13, 07:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
MDX is Acuras top selling vehicle I believe
Old 10-30-13, 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I mean, the bottom line is that they sell. I drove the new MDX and liked it a lot. Is it exciting to look at? Not really but then, is this exciting to look at?

Is this exciting to look at?

Is this exciting?

These things are luxurious people haulers, thats what people want. For 90% of buyers the decision between all of these comes down to the interior and how well people and stuff fit into it. I've driven all these vehicles as I'm sort of in the market for a 3 row crossover and to me...the winner is the QX60...despite the fact that its hideous and has a CVT. Close second is the MDX, but the third row isn't as accommodating as the QX60. As for Lexus...well they don't even have anything that competes.

So...you can't really blame Acura for playing to the audience that buys their product. And...they're selling a lot of the product.
Old 10-30-13, 08:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Steve,I'd go MDX in a heartbeat over those models and others.
Old 10-30-13, 08:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Steve,I'd go MDX in a heartbeat over those models and others.
For every other reason but the third row I'd agree. The QX60 has easily the best third row I've seen in anything outside a minivan. Its something two adults really could sit in. Its a good bit more cramped in the 2014 MDX. The MDX is better looking, drives better, the interior is arguably better (the MDX is a little more plain, but overall I like the styling and displays better)...but if your goal is to haul people around the QX60 is the winner.

If the only people sitting in the third row are kids then its a non issue.
Old 10-30-13, 09:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

CR's top rated Luxury SUV's in order are:

-Touareg (Road Test only - Poor Reliability)
-MB GL350 ($73k, it better be good)
-RX350 (tie)
-MDX (tie)
-QX60
Old 10-30-13, 04:45 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Obviously MotorTrend is dense
Right! Faster around the track and drag, more innovative, more sophisticate Corvette Stingray with 1/2 the price tag lost to a tarded up Beetle. Motortrend is dense.
Old 10-30-13, 04:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
For every other reason but the third row I'd agree. The QX60 has easily the best third row I've seen in anything outside a minivan. Its something two adults really could sit in. Its a good bit more cramped in the 2014 MDX. The MDX is better looking, drives better, the interior is arguably better (the MDX is a little more plain, but overall I like the styling and displays better)...but if your goal is to haul people around the QX60 is the winner.

If the only people sitting in the third row are kids then its a non issue.
Ever try out the Expedition? Seats 8 comfortably. Not suggesting it to you, just that it has a roomy third row
Old 10-30-13, 04:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Ever try out the Expedition? Seats 8 comfortably. Not suggesting it to you, just that it has a roomy third row
Oh sure, I'm not including vehicles like the Expedition, Suburban, etc. They're way too big for our needs.

Let me rephrase, the QX60 has the best third row I've seen outside of a Minivan or full-size SUV.
Old 10-30-13, 05:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Oh sure, I'm not including vehicles like the Expedition, Suburban, etc. They're way too big for our needs.

Let me rephrase, the QX60 has the best third row I've seen outside of a Minivan or full-size SUV.
It's very flexible to boot. Easy access to the third row. Not a fan of the bunny ear third row headrests though hah
Old 10-30-13, 05:14 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Joeb427 & Blueprint please exit this thread (inappropriate commentary removed).

Mike - going to ask you stop bringing conflicts from disagreements with other members on politics, etc from the debate forum into the regular forums to throw as insults. Becoming a trend.

Quick Reply: 2014 Acura MDX Unveiled