Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another ISF competitor by Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 01:03 PM
LexFather

But the fact of the matter is now there is a S3 and CLA 45 and Lexus (and the other Asian brands) are moving so slow its ridiculous. Here are two cars that are going to appeal to people and the price is good at 40-50k or so. Lets not forget the ATS-V is coming.

Then with their F/I motors, they will be tunable.

Old 03-27-13, 01:12 PM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's a possibility. But they cater to two different markets because of their price points. You also look at how the CLA45 AMG and S3 are AWD based off FWD and offer tubro 4's and the IS-F is a RWD with a V8 aimed at more pure sports cars like the C63 AMG, Audi RS4, and BMW M3. Apples and oranges if you ask me.

Will the two be compared? Sure they will, they are both cars, but again both have a different crowd. Hell Top Gear compared a Prius to an M3. **it happens lol
And that's my point. The typical buyer is going to say "I want a car with 4 doors and performance" and then look to see what is out there within a certain price range. I completely agree that comparing a V8 to a turbo-4cyl highly suggests that the two cars are not meant to be in the same orbit, but I think most buyers are going to look at performance numbers rather than engine size and type.

The fact is Lexus has a team that is a lot smarter about marketing than a bunch of guys sitting around typing away on a message board. They'll know what is out there and what they're competing against. I suspect they'll know that they have to offer competitive performance and price if they want to have a chance. I just don't see how they can offer up a car that is roughly the same size and level of luxury as a CLA45 AMG, has the same performance numbers, and then try and charge over $15K more for it.
Old 03-27-13, 01:16 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

CLA45 vs. RS3. They are like a luxury EVO and STi, hot rodded compact based on an entry level economy platform.

If Lexus want to be in that segment, would be a CT-F with a 4 bangers turbo and 4WD.

IS-F is in the M3, C63 and RS4 segment.

This is why the CLA45 with an AMG badge is still cheaper then a IS-F, is totally in a level or 2 lower segment. No AMG badge cars would ever be cheaper then a Lexus F cars, if they are in the same level.

Last edited by BNR34; 03-27-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-27-13, 01:18 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CTF to compete. Do it Lexus, Do It!
Old 03-27-13, 01:22 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vbb
And that's my point. The typical buyer is going to say "I want a car with 4 doors and performance" and then look to see what is out there within a certain price range. I completely agree that comparing a V8 to a turbo-4cyl highly suggests that the two cars are not meant to be in the same orbit, but I think most buyers are going to look at performance numbers rather than engine size and type.

The fact is Lexus has a team that is a lot smarter about marketing than a bunch of guys sitting around typing away on a message board. They'll know what is out there and what they're competing against. I suspect they'll know that they have to offer competitive performance and price if they want to have a chance. I just don't see how they can offer up a car that is roughly the same size and level of luxury as a CLA45 AMG, has the same performance numbers, and then try and charge over $15K more for it.
Size and performance numbers are 2 out of the 10 factors on a car. Refinement level alone would be a huge difference between the IS-F and CLA45.

Even for people who are clueless about cars, they can tell the differences in refinements. People who spend $50k+ on a luxury performance car are usually not that clueless.
Old 03-27-13, 01:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Moses_2.0
CTF to compete. Do it Lexus, Do It!
Don't hold your breathe. The CLA launches with the base model and a MONTH LATER the AMG model arrives. AWD comes next spring for the base model.

Lexus not only doesn't give the CT any other engine or drivetrain choices but the much larger ES 300h makes just as good MPG with 60 more hp.

WTF?

BTW, the AMG bases for 47k and can hit near 60k with options.

Old 03-27-13, 01:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
CLA45 vs. RS3. They are like a luxury EVO and STi, hot rodded compact based on an entry level economy platform.

CLA has 100:0 in normal conditions so its not EVO or STi at all... it is just econobox platform with nice hp and not the best AWD. I would expect 50:50 all the time in something with AMG badge.
Old 03-27-13, 01:32 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Don't hold your breathe. The CLA launches with the base model and a MONTH LATER the AMG model arrives. AWD comes next spring for the base model.

Lexus not only doesn't give the CT any other engine or drivetrain choices but the much larger ES 300h makes just as good MPG with 60 more hp.
Factory MB AMG started what? 15~20 years ago? Lexus F has been 5 years.

So far ISF and LFA..........then GSF, LSF, SCF, RCF, RXF............etc etc............CTF will be 15 years from now, if it ever happens. Yeah don't hold your breath. I might see it before I am dead.
Old 03-27-13, 01:35 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
CLA has 100:0 in normal conditions so its not EVO or STi at all... it is just econobox platform with nice hp and not the best AWD. I would expect 50:50 all the time in something with AMG badge.
True. Even with 50hp more, this car is no where close to Evo/STI level. Those 2 are AWD monsters.
Old 03-27-13, 01:36 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

You are correct, I was just being nice.

I think the 100:0 is just in the normal non AMG CLA.............the AMG CLA45 might be better then that, but don't quote me on that, I could be totally wrong. I didn't read it as I don't care for entry level stuff. The lowest AMG I care about is the E63.
Old 03-27-13, 01:37 PM
LexFather

Factory MB AMG started what? 15~20 years ago? Lexus F has been 5 years.

So far ISF and LFA..........then GSF, LSF, SCF, RCF, RXF............etc etc............CTF will be 15 years from now, if it ever happens. Yeah don't hold your breath. I might see it before I am dead.
I understand that AMG is more experienced but it seems the Germans have a higher sense of urgency in creating excitement and keeping people interested.

Lexus product planning might actually have a model year where there is no "F" model since the LFA is done and the IS F will be done.

Old 03-27-13, 01:43 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I understand that AMG is more experienced but it seems the Germans have a higher sense of urgency in creating excitement and keeping people interested.

Lexus product planning might actually have a model year where there is no "F" model since the LFA is done and the IS F will be done.
Is the badge. The fact is with the AMG badge, they can sell stuff a lot easier then the Lexus F badge.

This is a perfect example, a guy comparing a 4 bangers FWD platform to a V8 rear wheel drive platform. Because the AMG badge make him think the car is much higher level then it is.

This is like comparing the ISF to a E63 or M5...........
Old 03-27-13, 01:48 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think Lexus worries much about CLA AMG stealing IS F sales. I think MB should be more worried about CLA AMG cannibalizing C AMG sales.
Old 03-27-13, 01:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

You are correct, I was just being nice.

I think the 100:0 is just in the normal non AMG CLA.............the AMG CLA45 might be better then that, but don't quote me on that, I could be totally wrong. I didn't read it as I don't care for entry level stuff. The lowest AMG I care about is the E63.
its for AMG version, from the article... it is 100:0 until it detects wheel slippage... like RAV4. And it is great for RAV4, but AMG should be something else.
Old 03-27-13, 01:54 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

its for AMG version, from the article... it is 100:0 until it detects wheel slippage... like RAV4. And it is great for RAV4, but AMG should be something else.
I agreed.

It is typical entry level non performance 4WD system, a few I remember are VW R32 and Mazdaspeed 6. I was a big GTR/STi/EVO guy, always made fun of that kind of system.

Quick Reply: Another ISF competitor by Mercedes?