Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: 2014 Dodge Durango

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 02:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Official: 2014 Dodge Durango

2014 Dodge Durango leaks ahead of NY rollout

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-5763283/

Even though Chrysler will reportedly discontinue the Dodge Durango after the current model's lifespan – said to be around 2016 – that isn't stopping the automaker from improving its full-size, three-row SUV. The vehicle won't debut at the New York Auto Show until tomorrow, but images are already leaking out ahead of the embargo lift, and they show that the 2014 model is getting even more aggressive styling to go with more technology inside and out.

Dodge limited its early press shots of the new Durango to just the R/T trim level, but this new look adds a meaner look to this model with more dramatic projector-beam headlights along with a "floating" crosshair grille and a restyled fascia. At the rear of the Durango, LED racetrack taillights show a family resemblance to the Charger and Dart, while a new rear fascia adds to the styling while also allowing for an integrated trailer hitch.

On the tech side, the instrument panel looks to have been redesigned to include a standard seven-inch thin-film transistor (TFT) gauge cluster, and it also appears as if Chrysler's well-liked UConnect system has been updated with the 8.4-inch touchscreen found in other Chrysler vehicles. The 2013 model's conventional console shifter has been replaced by a rotary **** for gear selection, suggesting that there are transmission changes afoot as well. We'll have more details when the silks slide off this big boy tomorrow, so stay tuned.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/27/2...of-ny-rollout/
Old 03-27-13, 03:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks better than the current one, but still kinda bland.
Old 03-28-13, 02:23 PM
Hoovey689

Default 2014 Dodge Durango bows with eight-speed auto, updated looks [w/video]

2014 Dodge Durango bows with eight-speed auto, updated looks [w/video]

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-5775927/

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-5763283/

Dodge has significantly updated its full-size Durango for the 2014 model year, giving the seven-passenger hauler a fresh look and a well-rounded boost of competitive features as it enters its fourth year in the showroom.

Cosmetically, it is hard to miss the revised front end with projector-beam headlamps and LED daytime running lamps, "floating" crosshair grille, a taller front bumper and a new lower fascia. The rear end of the facelifted Durango has been redesigned with the automaker's now-signature LED "racetrack" taillamps and resculpted rear fascia. All of the wheels are new too, with 18- and 20-inch options for each trim level with a variety of factory finishes.

Inside the cabin, buyers can select the automaker's latest Uconnect infotainment system with a full suite of infotainment features and connectivity accessed through an 8.4-inch touchscreen. Other optional goodies include a heated steering wheel, heated second-row seating and a Blu-Ray player capable of running unique programs on the twin individual rear monitors.

Mechanically speaking, Dodge has fitted an eight-speed automatic transmission as standard equipment to both the 3.6-liter V6 (290 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque) and the optional 5.7-liter V8 (360 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque) which should improve both performance and economy. As an added benefit, the Pentastar V6 now boasts a best-in-class driving range of more than 600 miles on one tank of fuel, but thus far, Dodge isn't discussing much in the way of additional performance metrics, saying only that the Pentastar should get 25 miles per gallon on the highway cycle.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/28/2...ideo-new-york/
Old 03-28-13, 02:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Typical Dodge design. Masculine, muscular, and stylish. Still wouldnt buy one though. I have a staff member who is currently doing a forced buy back through the lemon laws in AZ. Two transmission in a year and half. It was the last gen but I do not trust anything that Dodge or Chrysler makes.
Old 03-28-13, 06:00 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-31-13, 07:11 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

looks pretty good
Old 03-31-13, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Typical Dodge design. Masculine, muscular, and stylish.
Just because it has the typical Dodge chunky and/or squared-off looks and the trademark cross-bar grille doesn't necessarily make for a "masculine" look. A better argument, IMO, for a so-called "masculine" look would have been the first redesigned full-size Ram pickups of the mid-1990s with the classic "Big-Rig" diesel-semi droop-fenders.

Still wouldnt buy one though. I have a staff member who is currently doing a forced buy back through the lemon laws in AZ. Two transmission in a year and half. It was the last gen but I do not trust anything that Dodge or Chrysler makes.
True to an extent. Dodge/Chrysler fit/finish, interiors, and overall refinement have improved enormously in the last few years, but the newer models still haven't been on the road long enough to gauge true long-term reliability.....which, on past models, often left much to be desired.
Old 03-31-13, 07:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Even though Chrysler will reportedly discontinue the Dodge Durango after the current model's lifespan – said to be around 2016

I wonder what reason the marketers would have for dropping it? :uh" Like with its sister Challenger and Charger, according to Consumer Reports, customer-satisfaction with the Durango is very high.....well above average, despite questionable reliability.

But, on the other hand, though I (admittedly) don't own one, I personally don't see much reason why customer satisfaction with this vehicle would be so high. The Durango, IMO, even wth better fit/finish and overall refinement now than in the past, doesn't notably stand out from its competition. Perhaps its appeal is in the unusual exterior size. Dimension-wise, it slips in between the so-called "mid-size" and "full-size" class, which few if any other SUVs fit in.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-13 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-31-13, 08:35 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But, on the other hand, though I (admittedly) don't own one, I personally don't see much reason why customer satisfaction with this vehicle would be so high. The Durango, IMO, even wth better fit/finish and overall refinement now than in the past, doesn't notably stand out from its competition. Perhaps its appeal is in the unusual exterior size. Dimension-wise, it slips in between the so-called "mid-size" and "full-size" class, which few if any other SUVs fit in.
I don't see why this would do this. Aside from Jeep, Chrysler wouldn't have any SUVs in the Dodge Brand. It always has been a tweener, but that wouldn't negate too many I'd imagine. It has a host of improvements including not shelfing the V8 despite it's CUV platform and still offering a V6 for those that don't need the towing. If anything a new smaller ute could only add to the whole brand in general. (Thankfully we'd know anything would be better than the unloved Nitro)
Old 03-31-13, 09:08 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wonder what reason the marketers would have for dropping it? :uh" Like with its sister Challenger and Charger, according to Consumer Reports, customer-satisfaction with the Durango is very high.....well above average, despite questionable reliability.

The Durango stands out from its competition because it's the best driving non-BOF SUV in its class that can still tow major weight. Its available V8 is also attractive to some users. I believe a specific type of person buys a Durango, someone who appreciates its capabilities that are lost on consumers shopping other crossovers. This also partially explains why people thing Dodge is going to phased out as a brand sooner or later.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't see why this would do this. Aside from Jeep, Chrysler wouldn't have any SUVs in the Dodge Brand. It always has been a tweener, but that wouldn't negate too many I'd imagine. It has a host of improvements including not shelfing the V8 despite it's CUV platform and still offering a V6 for those that don't need the towing. If anything a new smaller ute could only add to the whole brand in general. (Thankfully we'd know anything would be better than the unloved Nitro)
The Jeep Wagoneer will be joining the ChryCo lineup at the end of the current Durango's life cycle, which is why most people think the Durango will disappear. People who like the Jeep brand will buy it as well as people who appreciated the Durango's capabilities. Once again, this is why people thing Dodge will disappear as a brand sooner or later. Especially with the Barracuda sports car being branded an SRT and not a Dodge.

Also, fun fact- the Durango, while a unibody design, is not based on a car. That obviously holds true for the Benz ML, GL, and Jeep GC.
Old 03-31-13, 09:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The Jeep Wagoneer will be joining the ChryCo lineup at the end of the current Durango's life cycle, which is why most people think the Durango will disappear. People who like the Jeep brand will buy it as well as people who appreciated the Durango's capabilities. Once again, this is why people thing Dodge will disappear as a brand sooner or later. Especially with the Barracuda sports car being branded an SRT and not a Dodge.

Also, fun fact- the Durango, while a unibody design, is not based on a car. That obviously holds true for the Benz ML, GL, and Jeep GC.
Which explains the loss of either Town and Country and Grand Caravan soonish as rumormill suggests. I personally don't believe we'll see the Dodge brand disbanded
Old 04-01-13, 09:27 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While i would never buy one, i think it doesn't look too bad.
Old 04-01-13, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
(Thankfully we'd know anything would be better than the unloved Nitro)
Yes, the Nitro, by modern standards, was a classic fail. I don't even enjoy discussing that vehicle.
Old 04-01-13, 10:20 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This thing looks way better than new Range Rover Sport from the outside. Too bad that both inside the cabin and hood is your typical pentagon crap.
Old 04-01-13, 10:34 AM
LexFather

I love it....they need to stick it out and stop changing vehicles, names, so much

Quick Reply: Official: 2014 Dodge Durango