Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: 2014 Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 05:34 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sw10
How old exactly are you? I'm talking about people of your generation who are out of college and out working and supporting themselves. High school and college agers who are still being supported are a different thing. As you read in one of the articles one of the people interviewed said "The last time I was excited about a car was when I was in high school". A tremendous amount of change happens between high school, college, and adulthood.
I am about to leave college and begin a medical profession. I am one of the lucky ones.
This shows the shift in focus, focused on the phone not the car.
I know that 1 interviewee happens to agree with you. But what happens when the majority agree with the brand conscious? When i say majority, i am talking about the sales numbers. How many people do you see, that you "KNOW" for a fact cannot really afford the car they are driving in but are just doing it to show off? They skimp on other things to buy luxury cars, just as people skimp on luxury cars to buy luxury phones. The article is talking about luxury items, not cars/anything in particular.
Old 04-01-13, 05:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
I know that 1 interviewee happens to agree with you. But what happens when the majority agree with the brand conscious? When i say majority, i am talking about the sales numbers. How many people do you see, that you "KNOW" for a fact cannot really afford the car they are driving in but are just doing it to show off? They skimp on other things to buy luxury cars, just as people skimp on luxury cars to buy luxury phones. The article is talking about luxury items, not cars/anything in particular.
Its not just one article or one interviewee. Obviously you see people in vehicles they can't afford (however in my experience, don't assume someone can't afford something by how they look), I'm just saying that on the whole studies show this generation of Americans react differently than older generations, and they attribute that to having come of age during the great recession. I have seen first hand in our business consumer behavior that mirrors those findings.

If you read the article you posted it discusses also how these people are using technology to get better deals on items they want to purchase, etc. Value is more important to millennials than it was to Gen Y and Gen X'ers.

You're at an age now where you will start to see those behaviors change amongst your peers I'll bet. Pre-med and med students are a pretty specific group anyways.

This shift is going to benefit companies like Hyundai is my point.
Old 04-01-13, 06:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

the fact that we've spent 7 pages talking about a HYUNDAI means they're probably onto something.
Old 04-01-13, 06:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the fact that we've spent 7 pages talking about a HYUNDAI means they're probably onto something.
For sure, and the strong opinions from Lexus enthusiasts only validates the fact that they have built a worthy competitor,,,
Old 04-01-13, 06:45 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

You're at an age now where you will start to see those behaviors change amongst your peers I'll bet. Pre-med and med students are a pretty specific group anyways.
This shift is going to benefit companies like Hyundai is my point.
Which is why i am saying we have different opinions and will always continue to have different views. I dont claim to know any more than you do, just different things.
however in my experience, don't assume someone can't afford something by how they look
Ya i know judging a book by its cover is not always right, but we all do it. And in my special case, i actually know for a FACT that some people cannot afford what they drive (or are driving their net worth) due to a special insurance "insight" i have access to. Haha, those are always the fun ones.
Old 04-01-13, 07:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Which is why i am saying we have different opinions and will always continue to have different views. I dont claim to know any more than you do, just different things.
Everybody is entitled to an opinion...but facts are facts. I know for a fact that these generational differences exist.
Old 04-01-13, 08:56 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

I agree with generational differences, but the core issue we (and the thread) were discussing was Hyundai (and it's badging).

The Equus is less than 5 years old in the US. I think it is safe to say that neither of us knows the future. We may guess it, but only time will tell.
Old 04-01-13, 09:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

With that being said, I offer a friendly handshake.
I think this is probably a good idea at this point
Old 04-02-13, 05:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I saw the Equus at the NY show yesterday.
I will say my gripe with earlier models was the interior quality.Well,Hyundai stepped the quality up.The car is actually a bargain but still not for me.
I was told no IPads anymore because when the Equus offered the IPad,by the time the Equus was released,the IPad2 was out or was it IPad2 to IPad3.Either way,the version was old and potential buyers complained so no longer is a IPad in the package.BS,I don't know but that's what I was told.
I mentioned in a subtle way as I could about the Equus having a design they copied from other manufacturers.The Hyundai rep gave no excuse and said Hyundai took the best from those manufacturers and made a great car at a great cost.I assume he gets that a lot because he didn't hesitate with his answer.
Old 04-02-13, 06:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I saw the Equus at the NY show yesterday.
I will say my gripe with earlier models was the interior quality.Well,Hyundai stepped the quality up.The car is actually a bargain but still not for me.
I was told no IPads anymore because when the Equus offered the IPad,by the time the Equus was released,the IPad2 was out or was it IPad2 to IPad3.Either way,the version was old and potential buyers complained so no longer is a IPad in the package.BS,I don't know but that's what I was told.
I mentioned in a subtle way as I could about the Equus having a design they copied from other manufacturers.The Hyundai rep gave no excuse and said Hyundai took the best from those manufacturers and made a great car at a great cost.I assume he gets that a lot because he didn't hesitate with his answer.
can you please explain it to me so I understand - whats the deal about getting excited about free ipad if you buy 60k car? You can probably get some crazy deal on Equus right now, so I am not sure why would anyone care about $600 ipad?
Old 04-02-13, 06:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
can you please explain it to me so I understand - whats the deal about getting excited about free ipad if you buy 60k car? You can probably get some crazy deal on Equus right now, so I am not sure why would anyone care about $600 ipad?

Can't explain it but that's what I was told when I mentioned the IPad.I would guess people always like free stuff but even free,they want the latest version of that freebie.
sp,not a car for me but the car is a bargain at $60K discounted.
Old 04-02-13, 09:16 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I wonder if these are the same people that drive across town to save $0.10/gal on gas, or the one to drive to ANOTHER store to save a buck on something when gas costs more than that.....the one that don't look at the big overall picture
Old 04-02-13, 12:58 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

It's not really about the "deal" you are getting. It is more of that fact that:

1. Hyundai has a unique offer/selling "gimmick"
2. It's free
3. It is a 1% discount
4. It makes you feel like the dealer is giving you a lot for the money, more than what the Equus already is

Personally, I wouldn't turn down a FREE iPad. Even if it was last generation. Complain, yes about the fact that it is not up to date. But, turn it down? No way. Heck, I'd be happy if a dealer gave me a free box of donuts as a "thank you" for purchasing.

Would you turn down a free iPad?
Old 04-02-13, 01:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The other thing is a lot of people already have iPads or other tablets now. We did some promotions with free iPads and found that people aren't excited by them anymore because they already have them.
Old 04-02-13, 01:30 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, I bought a new 7 and the dealer didn't even give me a free key chain!

Quick Reply: Official: 2014 Hyundai Equus