Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti hires Sebastian Vettel as Director of Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 06:12 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Infiniti hires Sebastian Vettel as Director of Performance

Three time Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel has been named Infiniti's Director of Performance and will "play an increased role in developing new Infiniti models", the Japanese luxury brand announced today.

Vettel actually started working with Nissan's brand back in 2011, helping with the FX Vettel Edition and the all-new Q50, but the collaboration between the Japanese automaker and the Red Bull Racing driver is now on official ground.

"Sebastian's talent and ability behind the wheel is unquestionable and his role in developing Infiniti vehicles has already proven invaluable. How many premium automotive brands can honestly say its vehicles have been developed alongside a triple World Champion? As our technical collaboration with Infiniti Red Bull Racing continues to deepen, so does our relationship with Sebastian who will be crucial to the development of our future vehicle line-up, ensuring Infiniti stands for passion and performance in a brand that challenges the status quo," said Infiniti President Johan de Nysschen.

"I am really happy to extend my relationship with Infiniti and become their Director of Performance," Sebastian Vettel added. "Helping to develop the Infiniti Q50 was a very different type of driving duty for me but I approached it in exactly the same way as I do my Formula One car. I am looking forward to working closely with Infiniti in developing more of their road cars into the future."

Infiniti has been involved with the Red Bull Racing Formula One team from the start of the 2013 season. While driving for Red Bull, Vettel has won the world championship three times in a row between 2010 and 2012.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/in...nce-57107.html
Old 03-29-13, 09:56 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't care who runs it. But IPL has to go
Old 03-29-13, 01:36 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really, because an F1 driver have so much time to work with engineering team of road cars halfway across the world lol.

Seems more like a brand / racing credential thing to me, maybe Seb drove it for like 3 laps and said "need more x, feels bit too y" and that's it, you have now bought an infiniti developed by a 3x F1 world champion lol
Old 03-29-13, 02:09 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i wonder if he's going to follow team orders from infiniti.
Old 03-29-13, 02:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

the first order of business should be to kill that POS 155k infiniti FX with his name on it. If he knows performance then he knows that SUV is a total joke. 155k for a 65K SUV with some total BS tweaks I could have done for under 10K. I personally think Infiniti doensn't need help with performance. Their cars are dynamically more fun than a Lexus. What they need to do is to expand the lineup and soften the cars up a bit. The steering in most Infinitis is heavy ( I like that but many old people dont), the brakes are a bit over responsive , and the throttle modulation makes the car leap off the line even when you don't try. Their "journey" or "touring versions need to be softened up even more. Also a fresh design would help. Their best seller is a bit lobular.
Old 03-30-13, 11:17 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by projectdna
i wonder if he's going to follow team orders from infiniti.
haha the thought of the recently-held Malaysian Grand Prix still lurks in my mind
Old 03-30-13, 11:25 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Their cars are dynamically more fun than a Lexus. What they need to do is to expand the lineup and soften the cars up a bit. The steering in most Infinitis is heavy ( I like that but many old people dont), the brakes are a bit over responsive , and the throttle modulation makes the car leap off the line even when you don't try. Their "journey" or "touring versions need to be softened up even more. Also a fresh design would help. Their best seller is a bit lobular.
The new Q50 has some new upgrades enhancements that can now be explored on infiniti.com, that effect steering and suspension, Im looking forward to seeing the reviews on this car
Old 03-30-13, 11:49 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Better watch out, he'll do anything to win!
Old 03-31-13, 06:49 PM
ffqszuwk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their best seller is a bit lobular.