Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-gen Mini interior ditching familiar center speedo

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 03:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Next-gen Mini interior ditching familiar center speedo

Next-gen Mini interior ditching familiar center speedo

A Reddit user has posted images of the 2015 F56 Mini Cooper, one each of the exterior and interior. As has been the case since the launch of the new Mini in 2001, the overall exterior shape underneath camouflage screams Mini, but insiders are still calling the coming F56 model "the most aggressively different new Mini yet." Inside, though, the two-door that defined premium hatchbacks has, according to its most devoted buyers, gone mainstream.

The giant ring atop the center console is there, but there's no longer a speedometer inside of it. Instead, in an integration that brings to mind words like "shoehorned," Mini designers have placed radio and telephone controls inside the bezel. According to the Mini experts at MotoringFile, the picture above is the base trim and one of four possible treatments – in the upper trims a larger screen for navigation takes up most of the space. The bezel itself is marked with mood lighting that supposedly "swirls around" when you start the car with the red toggle switch.

The speedo rests atop the steering column with a tachometer placed to its left. The BMW wheel pictured is just for the prototype – you can expect a familiar three-spoke Mini wheel when the car is revealed, and latest rumor is that the event will take place at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/29/n...center-speedo/
Old 03-30-13, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Good. Even if it breaks a half-century of Mini tradition, I have never thought that center-dash-mounted speedos and secondary-gauges were a good idea. Despite PR-efforts by some auto-manufacturers (Mini, Saturn, Toyota, Nissan, Panoz) to convince us otherwise, such as the argument that the steering-wheel can't block the view if the gauges are in the center, or that it is easier for a driver to shift eyes to the right rather than down, the fact was, and remains, that it is simply a cost-cutting measure to make the dash easier to produce for both left and right-hand-drive versions in various markets.
Old 03-30-13, 12:05 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good. Even if it breaks a half-century of Mini tradition, I have never thought that center-dash-mounted speedos and secondary-gauges were a good idea. Despite PR-efforts by some auto-manufacturers (Mini, Saturn, Toyota, Nissan, Panoz) to convince us otherwise, such as the argument that the steering-wheel can't block the view if the gauges are in the center, or that it is easier for a driver to shift eyes to the right rather than down, the fact was, and remains, that it is simply a cost-cutting measure to make the dash easier to produce for both left and right-hand-drive versions in various markets.
Don't forget the Prius lol
Old 03-30-13, 12:06 PM
Hoovey689

Don't for get the Prius does that stupid center speedo too lol
Old 03-30-13, 12:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Don't for get the Prius does that stupid center speedo too lol
That's why, among other companies, I also mentioned Toyota in the last post. Toyota (Echo, Yaris, Prius), Saturn (Ion), Nissan (2Gen Quest), Mini, and Panoz have all sold center-mount speedos in the American market.
Old 03-30-13, 01:05 PM
Hoovey689

That's why, among other companies, I also mentioned Toyota in the last post. Toyota (Echo, Yaris, Prius), Saturn (Ion), Nissan (2Gen Quest), Mini, and Panoz have all sold center-mount speedos in the American market.
Oh, so you did. My mistake!
Old 03-30-13, 02:57 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That center speedo should have gone long time ago.
Old 03-30-13, 03:57 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

It was a non-issue for me. In every Mini I've ever driven(US spec models), there is a digital speed readout in the bottom of the tach, which is straight dead ahead of you. The center speedo was more a stylistic sillyness in that they could've used that space for radio/nav controls.
Old 03-30-13, 06:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

that interior looks hideous.
Old 03-31-13, 06:48 PM
ffqszuwk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That center speedo should have gone long time ago.
Old 03-31-13, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
It was a non-issue for me. In every Mini I've ever driven(US spec models), there is a digital speed readout in the bottom of the tach, which is straight dead ahead of you.
Digital readouts themselves, though, are an issue for some drivers. Not everyone likes them.

My Buick Verano, though, offers a nice solution......a conventional needle/analog speedo in front of the wheel, and, between the speedo and the tach, a push-button (on/off) digital speed-readout if you want it (it's part of the trip-computer menu).

The center speedo was more a stylistic sillyness in that they could've used that space for radio/nav controls.
Or simply just make it a little smaller. A speedo, even with analog readouts, doesn't have to be the size of a dinner plate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-13 at 06:55 PM.