Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Ten Car Brands With The Worst Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 12:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
VSC systems, of course, have helped to tame some of the more squirrely problems of SUV-handling, but in themselves only offer limited protection. For one thing, they can help with oversteer/underster problems, but generally (except for the Ford/Volvo Roll-Control VSC systems) don't do anything to actually stop body roll itself....the main cause of SUV rollovers. The Roll-Control VSC systems are superior because they have sensors to not only detect yaw-motion but body-roll motion as well. They will go into action at dangerous body-lean angles even if traditional oversteer/understeer is not detected.

Without a doubt, newer Camaros are some of the worst visibility-offenders, outside of some exotics like Lambos and Ferraris.

Have you driven one? The Excursion I test-drove (at correct tire PSIs) had a chassis that, IMO, was so poorly-engineered, and a suspension so inadequate, that it almost scared the hell out of me. At some 7000 pounds empty (three and a half tons), you had to be extremely careful with it....more so than with almost any other SUV I've ever driven, though the Suzuki Samurai was also squirrelly for other reasons, and some full-size GM trucks/SUVs had inadquate and unreliable braking-systems for several years.
Agreed RSC is a nice feature. 2005 Explorers started offering it, but my 03 does not.

Agreed the Camaro is atrocious in regards to visibility

Actually yes. My great uncle had one. A crude truck for sure, but it was awesome to experience to drive it around his property in Oregon which had plenty of acreage
Old 03-30-13, 01:01 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its the Jalopnik readers poll, of course they are going to bash Lexus/Toyota products.
Old 03-30-13, 01:50 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

#1.........Mustang V8s, especially with many younger drivers under 25. Nothing else (including Camaro/Firebird) even comes close....except for perhaps a few BMW M models. I've posted at length on that issue a number of times. Though not all Mustang jocks are idiots, I've seen enough people (mostly young) killed or injured in them over the years to conclude that it is the most addicting aggressive-driving machine in the country.

However, I do agree with at least part of this list. Subie WRX/STi and BMW (especially M models), though not as idiotic as some of the Mustang jocks, often do forget the simple rules of road-courtesy (and the laws of physics), thinking the road (and drag-racing) belongs to them, and that speed-limits are for chumps.

The idea of RX soccer-moms being too busy yakking on cell-phones for safe driving, from what I've seen, is vastly-overdone, and a somewhat inaccurate stereotype. These LX-mothers (and sometimes fathers) are often carrying children in back, and are usually concerned for their safety.
Gonna have to agree with you there! All in all, this is a very satire and funny article to read
Old 03-30-13, 11:44 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
That volvo is a surprise though.

I agree with most of the dbags in the German cars, but around here, mostly it's the bmws.

Another one are the lifted trucks

I totally agree there. You can put that dbag in another car and he'll still drive like an ***.

A mad mom in a minivan is no worse than a mad mom in an suv, well maybe worst.

However, that type of car he's driving will just amplify his d-baggery
Are they d-bags because of the car they drive? Or do they drive the car because they're douchebags? It's a chicken vs the egg argument.

I almost sold my LS to buy an SUV last month. The main reason was cargo room(as well as to change things up), plus my car doesn't do well getting into our muddy property out in the sticks.

I feel that any vehicle can be driven perfectly safely. My dad's 92 F350 lacks any of the modern safety ammenities that we take for granted. No VSC, no traction control, etc. The brakes probably aren't the best....but when you drive like it was intended to be driven....we've had 200,000 safe miles in it. I hate when people freak out about a car because it isn't the BEST in safety engineering.
Old 03-31-13, 06:16 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ agree! Its not the lack of safety, its lack of Driver paying attn on the road.
Old 03-31-13, 07:59 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Mustangs should def be #1
Old 03-31-13, 08:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ agree! Its not the lack of safety, its lack of Driver paying attn on the road.
Cars are so technologically laden these days (including safety) PCS, DRC, BSM, Park Assist, Back up Camera, VSC, TRAC, RSC, Cross Traffic Alert, the list goes on. Def user error
Old 03-31-13, 09:19 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha in the United Kingdom, there has been a perception and stereotype that Audi drivers are:
-mainly rich doctors who act like arrogant bas**rds

and

-drivers who tailgate (i.e. stick their car way too close to the vehicle in front of them)

Hence the reason why Jeremy Clarkson said "Audi following distance"
Old 03-31-13, 12:05 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The list seems quite random to me. No Civic? No Evo? No Mustang? RX got the number one?
Old 03-31-13, 04:28 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Oh give me a break, this list is total fail. Not a SINGLE mention of Honda drivers. My wife and I have run into so many completely asshat Honda drivers that it's crazy, and it's both of us noticing this driving separately too so I know it's not just me! And I've never had even a single issue on the road with Lexus RX drivers. Scion drivers are pretty awful too, especially tC's. Those used to be my own "personal nemesis" on the road. There was an entire cluster of them where I used to live. Used to be a near daily occurance to look the hell out for and trying to avoid idiot tC drivers who thought they owned the road. Especially if modified, look the hell out.
Old 03-31-13, 04:38 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

What happen to the Toyota Corolla? That car is a thorn in my side
Old 03-31-13, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
-mainly rich doctors who act like arrogant bas**rds
An interesting point. You would think that doctors, in their line of work, would be super-careful drivers, considering that they deal with so many accident victims. Yet my own late-uncle, who was a well-known surgeon in Ohio, though not necessarily "arrogant" like the quote, had a marked tendency to drive aggressively, violate speed limits, and give his car what I would abuse. He and his wife, my aunt (an ex-nurse) owned two nice big luxury cars that I would drive for them, on errands, when I was there at their house visiting them. I like to try out as many different cars as I can, of course, and neither one really liked to drive.......they would just as soon relax and leave the driving to me.
Old 03-31-13, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Oh give me a break, this list is total fail. Not a SINGLE mention of Honda drivers.
Yes, there are some goofball Honda drivers out there (though, in general, nothing like the crazy Mustang jocks). The Honda aggressive drivers, though, are generally not in the large mainstream of those driving the brand. Though admitedly somewhat of a stereotype, there is at least some truth to the idea that the guys in Hondas you have to watch out for are the ones running around in older, slammed/customized Civics (sometimes Accords or Preludes) painted bright lollipop-colors, with cheap-looking wings/spoilers bolted on the trunk, 3" Coke-can exhaust-nozzles, and their caps on backwards. .....sometimes with music in the car so loud you can hear it blocks away.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-13 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-31-13, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks

I feel that any vehicle can be driven perfectly safely. My dad's 92 F350 lacks any of the modern safety ammenities that we take for granted. No VSC, no traction control, etc. The brakes probably aren't the best....but when you drive like it was intended to be driven....we've had 200,000 safe miles in it. I hate when people freak out about a car because it isn't the BEST in safety engineering.
I'd agree that virtually any modern vehicle, without serious design or assembly-defects, can be driven reasonably safely by the average driver, assuming that the driver says sober and pays proper attention to the road. The main problem today, though, is not necessarily poorly-engineered cars. It is just that in many areas of the country, especially in and around major cities, the traffic level on the roads has gotten so insane (The SoCal and D.C. areas are perhaps the two prime examples) that the odds of having an accident have risen significantly in recent years even if one does drive safely.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-13 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-31-13, 07:28 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, there are some goofball Honda drivers out there (though, in general, nothing like the crazy Mustang jocks). The Honda aggressive drivers, though, are generally not in the large mainstream of those driving the brand. Though admitedly somewhat of a stereotype, there is at least some truth to the idea that the guys in Hondas you have to watch out for are the ones running around in older, slammed/customized Civics (sometimes Accords or Preludes) painted bright lollipop-colors, with cheap-looking wings/spoilers bolted on the trunk, 3" Coke-can exhaust-nozzles, and their caps on backwards. .....sometimes with music in the car so loud you can hear it blocks away.
We're in the same general area. Maybe VA is a bit different, but I've never seen any shenanigans by Mustang drivers up here in MD (I-270 corridor).

Yeah it's typically the older Hondas, the ones people actually used to be enthusiastic about, that are modded and driven hard and stupidly that you need to watch out for, although I've seen plenty of completely dimwitted driving by people in the newer ones also, who just plain don't know how to drive. Here in my area there's lots of foreigners who might not have grown up around cars and just plain have poor/stupid driving skills. Too many examples to list.

Quick Reply: The Ten Car Brands With The Worst Drivers