Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-13, 12:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2013 Ford Explorer Sport

2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5784034/

Engine: Twin-turbo 3.5L V6
Power: 365 HP / 350 LB-FT
Transmission: 6-Speed Auto
0-60 Time: 7.0 Seconds (est.)
Drivetrain: All-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 4,921 LBS
Towing: 5,000 LBS
Seating: 2+3+2
Cargo: 80.7 CU-FT
MPG: 16 City / 22 HWY
Base Price: $40,780
As-Tested Price: $46,640

When one speaks of sporty and fun-to-drive utility vehicles, few would put the Ford Explorer in the same category as the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne. Yet, with just a few reservations, I'd toss the new-for-2013 Ford Explorer Sport close to that arena for consideration.

As a recap, the sportiest of Explorers is fitted with Ford's twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter Ecoboost V6, making 365 horsepower and 350 pound feet of torque. Acceleration is brisk (figure about 7 seconds to 60 miles per hour), as power goes to all four wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission. Contributing to its more athletic demeanor are larger front brakes, a sport-tuned suspension, chassis upgrades, quicker steering ratio and a more aggressive wheel/tire package. Cosmetically, the Sport is distinguished by its blacked-out lights, black trim and noticeable lack of chrome (with the exception of the door handles).

Ford recently handed me the keys to a Ruby Red Metallic Explorer Sport. Rather than mindlessly drive the big seven-passenger all-wheel drive hauler in soccer mom circles around Los Angeles, I loaded up my family and embarked on a long weekend road trip to Yosemite National Park.

Driving Notes
  • Despite a passenger load of four and a hotel suite worth of associated luggage and travel paraphernalia (pillows, blankets, iPads, Nintendo DS, etc...) there was still plenty of room remaining within the Explorer's cabin. Nobody complained about a lack of shoulder room, legroom or a need for more personal space. Acknowledging today's digital needs, an assortment of outlets (including lighter plugs, USB and 110v household) meant everyone was able to keep their electronic devices charged while on the road.
  • Power from the 3.5-liter Ecoboost was strong under nearly every driving condition, but I came to loath the significant torque steer off the line. If the throttle was floored while pulling away at a corner, the inside front wheel would briefly spin – absolutely maddening – revealing the Achilles Heel of its front-biased "Terrain Management" all-wheel drive system.
  • Fuel economy was surprisingly good. Total trip distance was 691 miles. During the highway portions, where I cruised mostly between 70-75 mph, the Ford averaged 22.6 miles per gallon. During the climb into Yosemite, driving the scenic valley and climbing back out, the onboard computer registered 20.4 mpg. We never dropped into the teens.
  • The Explorer Sport drove like a big front-wheel drive sedan. Even with the firmer suspension matching European touring levels, there was nary a complaint about harshness or ride quality from my family. Straight-line stability at high speed was excellent, and the cabin was acoustically quiet, making long-distance travel effortless. The tight route into Yosemite, on twisty California 41, was a pleasure thanks to the Sport's accurate (but lifeless) steering, lack of body roll and high level of grip – no squealing tires. Much to the dismay of my passengers, I enjoyed mile-after-mile of this slalom exercise.
  • Everyone found the MyFord Touch interface infuriating. Aside from the unattractive finger prints on its screen and its unintuitive interface (why does it require a series of inputs for even the most basic of functions?) the touchscreen was difficult to use while driving and it didn't always immediately respond. The capacitive-touch interface controlling the audio and HVAC was even more frustrating. My radar detector and iPhone cable kept brushing against the buttons and eerily changing the cabin settings. To circumvent the annoyance, I wrapped the cords awkwardly around the wiper stalk.
  • In the category of other gripes, I found the exterior mirrors were too small for a vehicle of this size. Even with the assistance of Ford's Blind Spot Information System (BLIS), I was constantly moving my upper torso around in the seat to double-check blind spots and surrounding traffic. Plus, the halogen projector-beam headlights were inadequate and dim, especially at higher speeds. My thumbs were too big for the steering wheel controls (causing a few accidental phone calls) and the vents don't allow the air to be deflected upward.
  • Nevertheless, the good greatly outweighed the gripes during our trip, and it left us all with a new appreciation for Ford's unibody utility. While its doesn't possess the Olympic muscle or agility of an SRT8, X5 or Cayenne – I never assumed it would – the Explorer Sport is as comfortable, competent and athletic as any family will ever need on public roads. It goes on my recommended list.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/04/2...xplorer-sport/
Old 04-05-13, 12:48 AM
Hoovey689

Other than the gaudy "Explorer" lettering on the hood, I like this ute
Old 04-05-13, 06:10 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother in law bought a fully loaded Explorer last year when the redesign was released and I really liked it. I do like the Edge Sport and I like this one too. I have an Edge rental while the car is in the shop and I hate driving it. It is a shame that I like the look much better than how it drives. I wonder how this compares?
Old 04-05-13, 06:34 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing has 100hp more than our X5d and nearly as much torque, weighs 300lbs less, and it still only gets to 60 mph in 7 seconds? (BMW says 6.9 for the X5d). What the heck? Must be traction issues off the line from the front-biased AWD system that they sorta mentioned. Put your foot down in our X5 either going straight ahead or out of a turn and it just scoots. Anyways looks pretty sweet. Ought to be a screamer at highway speeds and once you're moving with all of that power.
Old 04-05-13, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

How times change. The Explorer "Sport" was once a shortened, two-door version that was also sold as the Mazda Navajo.

Old 04-05-13, 11:40 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How times change. The Explorer "Sport" was once a shortened, two-door version that was also sold as the Mazda Navajo.

Yup classic. Kind of like a much more civilized less capable Bronco
Old 04-05-13, 01:45 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Meh, I really wanted to like this SUV, thinking it might be a good family hauler to replace my F150 Supercrew. After a test drive I can say the power is adequate but nothing special, the torque steer from a standstill is unacceptable, really kills the driving expereince, and the handling is nothing to write home about. To me it felt like driving an overpowered minivan, no thanks. Funny to because I really liked the old truck based Explorer.
Old 04-05-13, 02:18 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best looking SUV/CUV in it's class by far. Really strong design. Overall, I'd say this is a pretty solid product.
Old 04-05-13, 02:25 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Meh, I really wanted to like this SUV, thinking it might be a good family hauler to replace my F150 Supercrew. After a test drive I can say the power is adequate but nothing special, the torque steer from a standstill is unacceptable, really kills the driving expereince, and the handling is nothing to write home about. To me it felt like driving an overpowered minivan, no thanks. Funny to because I really liked the old truck based Explorer.
Had similar grips with my old RAV4 V6. At least it didn't torque steer off the line, but if you punched it from 2nd or 3rd gear it would torque steer like crazy because it wouldn't engage the 4WD system - very annoying and killed the fun. The latest RAV4 has a "Sport" mode which I believe resolves this, except that they dropped the V6. It put down great numbers in the magazines but wasn't all that much fun to drive, and it certainly didn't encourage you to drive it fast or want to have fun in it.
Old 04-05-13, 02:44 PM
LexFather

I stopped reading at 40k and lol'd at 46k

All reviews indicate is a pretty poor/average vehicle but it looks good and its selling. Its like the SUV civic

Old 04-05-13, 03:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
That thing has 100hp more than our X5d and nearly as much torque, weighs 300lbs less, and it still only gets to 60 mph in 7 seconds? (BMW says 6.9 for the X5d). What the heck? Must be traction issues off the line from the front-biased AWD system that they sorta mentioned. Put your foot down in our X5 either going straight ahead or out of a turn and it just scoots. Anyways looks pretty sweet. Ought to be a screamer at highway speeds and once you're moving with all of that power.
Its the difference between a diesel and a gas engine in a vehicle of that size. The torque in your X5d is available at much lower RPMs making your 0-60 time better.

We looked at the Explorer before we got the Jeep, its huge, too big IMHO. Expensive too, one with the stuff we wanted was like $55k.