Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NX to debut at Geneva 2014

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-13, 07:27 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason I bought and RX = I wanted a Family SUV, not a VAN, I am not gonna have 5-6 kids to haul. My family size is 85% of the US population size, which is 2-3 kids. Therefore, I didn't even Bother with 3rd row seat.

The RX350 sold well for that. Not too big, not too small, fit 85% of the US population family vehicle described.

Now, let's move to why am I interested in the new NX. Because I am in the 30ish, and I still love Sport cars. But I can not have a Sport coupe or anything too small, because I would need a car where it can still Help me Haul my Family, and still of Performance. I was hoping NX would fit this category like the Q3 and the Performance Q3 RS. Because I like Lexus better than Audi in Reliability regard.

In that same category. If NX was to be designed for the same Purpose of the RX350, and just smaller.....I don't think it will really sell well, and even with that price point.

I have my eyes on the STI Hatchback for now then sad
Old 05-17-13, 10:57 AM
dgsvt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not think the nx200t will be similar to rav4 price, but certainly not 17k over. That would be like paying 60k for an rx350 over a 43k highlander v6. I am interested in the nx200t or 300h due to size not price. I currently own an is350 and rx350. I would gladly pay 50k for an NX, but it would have to be "worth it". At that price (50k) it can't be just new head / tail lights and bumpers on a loaded rav4 with a turbo or hybrid motor. In other words it would have to be something special compared to its Toyota competition.
Old 05-17-13, 12:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by dgsvt
I do not think the nx200t will be similar to rav4 price, but certainly not 17k over. That would be like paying 60k for an rx350 over a 43k highlander v6. I am interested in the nx200t or 300h due to size not price. I currently own an is350 and rx350. I would gladly pay 50k for an NX, but it would have to be "worth it". At that price (50k) it can't be just new head / tail lights and bumpers on a loaded rav4 with a turbo or hybrid motor. In other words it would have to be something special compared to its Toyota competition.
difference in features and style will probably be bigger than Highlander vs RX.

Plus RX and Highlander share engines... Rav and NX do not.
Old 05-17-13, 12:47 PM
dgsvt
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
difference in features and style will probably be bigger than Highlander vs RX.

Plus RX and Highlander share engines... Rav and NX do not.

This differentiation will make me more interested in the NX than price alone. To me this is good news.
Old 05-17-13, 01:03 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dgsvt
This differentiation will make me more interested in the NX than price alone. To me this is good news.
They probably use the Corolla engine + turbo, and a prius engine + Hybrid.....because they are aiming at Efficiency, and smaller than the RX series, as someone stated.

These reasons alone don't pull my interests.

These NX will probably compete against Nissan Juke Nismo. The one with 194 HP and 180lbs/ft torque, and is a small Compact Cross Over

Myself will be interested if they were to have RX350 engine in a smaller SUV with a Turbo, and making 350 HP and 350 Torque. Even if it was to price the same as the RX350. It still will be worthy
Old 05-17-13, 02:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
My family size is 85% of the US population size, which is 2-3 kids.
you're not sure if you have 2 or 3 kids?
Old 05-17-13, 02:43 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're not sure if you have 2 or 3 kids?
LOL ! My goal is 2 kids....but I reserve the 3rd for any accidental before we all absolutely stop
Old 05-17-13, 04:56 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

The RAV4 AWD Ltd maxes out at around 32k. Base NX starting around 31-32k? Camry can max out at low-mid 30's, ES350 starts at 36k, Highlander runs to 40k, while the RX starts at 39k.
Old 05-17-13, 06:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
They probably use the Corolla engine + turbo, and a prius engine + Hybrid.....because they are aiming at Efficiency, and smaller than the RX series, as someone stated.
I highly doubt that it will be Corolla engine (assuming North American Corolla = 1.8-litre ZR engine) + turbo and Prius engine (1.8-litre ZR engine) + hybrid. That literally would not fly for a compact luxury SUV.

Remember that the RAV4 is larger and quite a bit heavier than the Corolla, and the NX, with its added "luxury features" will be heavier than the RAV4. The Prius' hybrid drivetrain would be much too underpowered for the NX; it will likely use the 2.5-litre AR engine + hybrid used in the Camry, Avalon and ES hybrids. That would also more closely match the naming of the vehicle as NX 300h.

As for the turbo, I think it will be at least a 2.0-litre ZR engine + turbo, if not the 2.5-litre AR engine + turbo.
Old 05-18-13, 08:00 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that NX mule looks very similar to this CT200h
Attached Thumbnails NX to debut at Geneva 2014-lexus-ct200h.jpg  
Old 05-18-13, 10:22 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

I dont mean to doubt you, but are there any more pics?

That one by Lexus Enthusiast looks just like a CT with monster truck tires, and new wheels. Nothing more.

Perhaps Lexus is trying to combat Audi's Allroad with a lifted CT. Doubt it though.
Old 05-19-13, 12:01 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus

That one by Lexus Enthusiast looks just like a CT with monster truck tires, and new wheels. Nothing more.

Perhaps Lexus is trying to combat Audi's Allroad with a lifted CT. Doubt it though.
I just posted what I saw lol.

Who knows, it could also be a AWD CT variant!!! (I'm still hoping for a CT-F w/ AWD lol... )
Old 05-19-13, 10:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Lexus plans to show a production-ready premium compact SUV to rival Audi's Q3 and BMW's X1 at next year's Geneva auto show
not sure when this next year's show is, but seems we're far off from anything, so kinda all vague speculation right now. and that pic is obviously a CTh.
Old 05-19-13, 11:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus

that looks like smaller suv... not NX... which is quite possible as well.

or else, NX is not actually Rav4 based.
Old 05-21-13, 03:37 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I can't believe the new NX will look exactly like a CT clone especially if it is based on the new rav4 . I would want it to look more like a smaller version of the RX.

Here's the CT I bought at the dealership.

This is the supposed nx mule posted here,

I think some confusion maybe coming from talk I heard last year when I was looking at the CT was that there may be a new larger CT200h to a CT300 of some sort.

Last edited by rogerh00; 05-21-13 at 03:40 AM.

Quick Reply: NX to debut at Geneva 2014