Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Left Lane News- 10 worst vehicles you can buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 08:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I wonder why Ford has chosen to keep using the very dated and somewhat anemic 5.4 when they have released a much better and more modern 6.2 engine with more power. They put all this effort into a new engine, and then limit it to only the F-Series. They should be popping it into the E-Series, Expedition, and Navigator.
Agreed. It's made me too. But the E-Series will be gone soon, so I understand Ford not worrying about that. But yeah, makes no sense, 6.2L V8 has been out for a couple of years
Old 04-08-13, 04:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Corolla may be dated and bland like fast-food hamburgers and fries, but look at how popular fast-food actually is. The Corolla is not only super-reliable and will last forever wth proper care, but, despite the ancient but smooth 4-speed automatic, offers relative comfort/refinement by small-car standards, and is, even today, exactly what a lot of car buyers want. The six-figure sales numbers each year prove it.
May sell well, but it is a terrible car. If someone is looking for a car they would actually enjoy driving, there are things to pick in that segment now (like the Chevy Cruze, or a Mazda 3). If someone is looking for a "driving appliance" then the Corolla is fine, but I agree its a terrible car, but is a reliable appliance.

I think one thing we should take note, when is the last time you saw an automotive publication recommend a GM product over a Toyota? Thats no small thing IMHO. Speaks a lot to changes at both brands.

As for the Lexus spindle grille, its not going anywhere.

Both the Navigator and Escalade, though, are classic bling-mobiles, and you would be surprised at how well they (still) sell here in the high-income mass-suburbia of the D.C. region where I live. But, we all know that they are bulky, hard to park, thirsty, and drive like..........(what else)?....trucks.
Absolutely, you see them everywhere! I have never been able to get over what they did to the Navigator. The 2003-2006 ish Navigator was very attractive, my father in law had one. Then they turned it into that sort of retro, angular, disaster we have now inside and out. Terrible.

I have a friend that has a Tahoe. Loves his Tahoe, makes a ton of money he can buy any vehicle he wants...he wants a Tahoe. I don't get it.
Old 04-08-13, 06:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
May sell well, but it is a terrible car. If someone is looking for a car they would actually enjoy driving, there are things to pick in that segment now (like the Chevy Cruze, or a Mazda 3). If someone is looking for a "driving appliance" then the Corolla is fine, but I agree its a terrible car, but is a reliable appliance.

I think one thing we should take note, when is the last time you saw an automotive publication recommend a GM product over a Toyota? Thats no small thing IMHO. Speaks a lot to changes at both brands.
Your idea of what defines a "good car" isn't universal. Exciting driving dynamics is the common number one trait among auto publications and yourself apparently but when it comes to real world buying criteria, it is of low priority. Notice the world's largest automaker, Toyota, has been nocked for their lackluster driving dynamics forever. Still, they're #1.

Why? Because reliability and quality are more important. As is value, comfort, safety,room, and maybe styling (inoffensive).

Someone used the fast food example earlier and it's true. Everyone loves to bash McDonald's and Subway as selling crap. Well guess who sells more prepared food than anyone in the world? McDonald's and Subway. They are clearly offering a product that appeals. Price? Convenience? Taste? Just like these restaurants, Toyota may be hated on but they are the ones smiling.
Old 04-08-13, 07:53 PM
LexFather

I 100% agree as the market does with the Wacura ILX on there

Old 04-08-13, 08:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Your idea of what defines a "good car" isn't universal. Exciting driving dynamics is the common number one trait among auto publications and yourself apparently but when it comes to real world buying criteria, it is of low priority. Notice the world's largest automaker, Toyota, has been nocked for their lackluster driving dynamics forever. Still, they're #1.
If you read what I said, you would have seen that I said exactly what you just said. I said its a terrible car in italics, meaning for someone looking for something enjoyable to drive...its a terrible choice. But I also said that its an excellent "driving appliance" for someone who is looking for that, which is a whole lot of people.

Theres nothing wrong with the Corolla, its just a "driving appliance". A vehicle for someone to whom buying a car is like buying a hot water heater...or a furnace.
Old 04-08-13, 09:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,358 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
I can't seem to wrap my head around how the Toyota Corolla can be one of the worst vehicles you can buy, when it is also one of the most reliable vehicles you can buy.
my toaster is also reliable, and slightly more exciting.

Originally Posted by Richard
BTW, my prediction is that the new Lexus grille will not last very long.
well 'not very long' is relative. i think it will last a while, but will evolve. i think the huge in your face f-sport grills acre of black mesh will get toned down.

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Theres nothing wrong with the Corolla, its just a "driving appliance". A vehicle for someone to whom buying a car is like buying a hot water heater...or a furnace.
lol. i think the corolla should be deemed a safety hazard though as it's so capable of sending its drivers to sleep or go nuts from boredom.

meanwhile, toyota is laughing all the way to the bank! they know their customers!!
Old 04-08-13, 09:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

About the Corolla . . . .

Toyota has cheesed out for the past 4 years or so on the current model. The previous model had a much nicer quality interior IMO, along with a sport model that featured the Celica GTS powertrain, ie that 1.8 rev to the moon motor and a six speed manual. The current model had an optional 2.4 liter motor for 2009-10, but that has been dropped in favor of the old 1.8 1ZZ-FE 132hp standard on all models, with the 4 speed automatic. This is the same powertrain you could get in a 2003 Corolla. Yet your 2003 Corolla felt a lot better built and had the same amount of interior room.

That is why the Corolla is utter dog **** IMO. They are selling you a worse car than what they sold you 10 years ago. I cannot state how much I hate the current Corolla, mainly because people are still stupid enough to drink the Toyota cool-aid and not even consider something like a much better built, more fun to drive Mazda 3, Civic, Chevy Cruze, Dodge Dart, etc, etc, etc

Last edited by Aron9000; 04-08-13 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-09-13, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

Toyota has cheesed out for the past 4 years or so on the current model. The previous model had a much nicer quality interior IMO, along with a sport model that featured the Celica GTS powertrain, ie that 1.8 rev to the moon motor and a six speed manual. The current model had an optional 2.4 liter motor for 2009-10, but that has been dropped in favor of the old 1.8 1ZZ-FE 132hp standard on all models, with the 4 speed automatic. This is the same powertrain you could get in a 2003 Corolla. Yet your 2003 Corolla felt a lot better built and had the same amount of interior room.

That is why the Corolla is utter dog **** IMO. They are selling you a worse car than what they sold you 10 years ago. I cannot state how much I hate the current Corolla, mainly because people are still stupid enough to drink the Toyota cool-aid and not even consider something like a much better built, more fun to drive Mazda 3, Civic, Chevy Cruze, Dodge Dart, etc, etc, etc
I agree that a lot of Toyota interiors and fit/finish over the last 10 years or so have been questionnable, but there are now signs that that is changing.

You mention the Cruze as an alternative. Yes, the Cruze definitely has a better interior than the Corolla, but first-year models, unlike most Toyotas, suffered from teething problems. And the Dart, which also has a better interior, needs more work in the powertrain department.
Old 04-09-13, 11:20 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a Corolla today, resell in 5 years for almost 60% of the purchase price. Buy a GM, Chrysler, Ford today, resell in 2 years at 50% of the purchase price and in 5 years at 30% of the purchase price. After the warranty expires, the Corolla will still give you more years of trouble and expense free driving (save for maintenance items). The other brands, not so much.

The Corolla is what it is, a reliable, safe, cost effective and commoditized transportation device. It is being bought by the boatloads on this premise.

Last edited by My0gr81; 04-09-13 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 10:13 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

i could easily agree with this list. I really dislike chryslers. But i feel like the corolla made it when it shouldent have, i think its a awsome cheap reliable family car or dd.
Old 04-10-13, 03:08 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I used to like the Colorado but I thought they quit making those years ago? I've seen maybe two of them in the past four years.

I can't stand the rest of the cars on the list though.
Old 04-11-13, 03:38 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I absolutely DESPISE the Corolla for 2 reasons. It's mind-numbingly BORING and lot of people I don't like drive this car.

Their are alot of uncertainties in life but I can say for certain I will NEVER buy a Corolla.
Old 04-11-13, 04:37 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Except for the fact that the engine in the current Corolla isn't the 1ZZ, it's the 1ZR-FE, which was brand new for the 2009 Corolla. And The Chevy Cruze isn't fun to drive.
Old 04-11-13, 07:19 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Except for the fact that the engine in the current Corolla isn't the 1ZZ, it's the 1ZR-FE, which was brand new for the 2009 Corolla. And The Chevy Cruze isn't fun to drive.
They don't use the same motors, true, one was a 1.8 the new one is a 1.6, both put out about 130hp, both use a 5 speed manual or a 4 speed autobox(not sure if they're the same transmissions, but they probably are).

As for the Cruze not being fun to drive, I agree it is very isolated, quiet, and set up to ride nice. Oddly enough, I've read a couple reviews for the Cruze Eco with the manual tranny that said it was actually pretty fun to fling around in corners due to it being 200lbs lighter, lowered suspension with less body roll, less unsprung weight due to smaller wheels/tires, and a great shifting manual tranny(something you almost never hear about a GM product with a manual). If you opt for the manual it isn't any slower than the other Cruze models, and gets 28 city/42 highway. Granted the reviewers said its no sports car, but for basic transit they said its pretty darn good.
Old 04-11-13, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
The Chevy Cruze isn't fun to drive.
It may not be sports-car fun in the sense of being agile and responsive, but some cars are pleasant to sit in and drive drive simply by having nice interiors and quietness/refinement on the road. The Cruze is one of them......which, IMO, makes it pleasant to drive, if not fun by your definition.

Quick Reply: Left Lane News- 10 worst vehicles you can buy