Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have we heard it all before? (New Cadillac)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
The current XTS is a stop gap measure IIRC, until a proper RWD Omega platform flagship is built.
That platform, taken mostly from the Australian Holden Commodore, will underlie a new Chevy Impala/Caprice SS, Impala police car, and Buick Grand National/GNX (yes, Buick has discussed bringing back the classic 80s nameplate). But it's arguable if that platform can be considered large enough for a true Cadillac flagship. Buick could also use a large luxo-flagship, which it now lacks.....the GNX might satisfy some boy-racers, but it won't be a true flagship, and will likely ride too stiff for that role.

How much will E class and 5 series buyers be willing to spend on a Caddy with a 4 banger base engine? BMW can get away with it, can Cadillac?
One cannot forget the ill-fated J-body 4-cylinder Cadillac Cimarron, though, of course, the market and basic engineering has changed a lot since the Cimarron was out 30 years ago. .

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-09-13 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 10:16 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Very few cars remaining on the market today, even among flagships, actually do have a true luxo-cruiser ride. Perhaps the only remaining exceptions I can think of are the non-AMG Mercedes S and E-classes, and, to an extent, the non-F-Sport Lexus LS line. But even today's LS, though nice by today's standards, doesn't ride quite like its LS430 and LS400 predecessors did, which were true luxo-rides.

This has happened primarily because of the industry's continuing obsession with firmed-up suspensions/tires/steering systems and in discontinuing smooth-riding flagships like the Town Car, Lucerne, and DTS. Even on some cars with electronically-adjustable suspensions, it has paid a price in ride comfort.
My 07 S550 is still no where near the floaty ride of the Town Car or the DTS. I don't know how the newest LS rides, but I would assume it's a bit floatier than my S. But i for one don't miss it. I feel it is a better compromise between a comfortable ride and control and handling. My family had a town car and it had such horrible handling and control. Granted some cars have gone too I towards the firm side, but I'm happier that I can actually steer my luxobarge while barreling down the highway.

Mmarshall, I know we disagree on this. But this is the direction Caddy needs to go. They call it "traditional American luxury" and I say leave that to Buick and Lincoln. Caddy needs to build a true S/7 fighter.
Old 04-09-13, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0ked
My 07 S550 is still no where near the floaty ride of the Town Car or the DTS. I don't know how the newest LS rides, but I would assume it's a bit floatier than my S. But i for one don't miss it. I feel it is a better compromise between a comfortable ride and control and handling. My family had a town car and it had such horrible handling and control. Granted some cars have gone too I towards the firm side, but I'm happier that I can actually steer my luxobarge while barreling down the highway.
From what I've been able to gather, Consumer Reports considers the S-Class the best-riding vehicle in mass-production today, and the LS just behind it, particularly in the long-wheelbase versions.

Mmarshall, I know we disagree on this. But this is the direction Caddy needs to go. They call it "traditional American luxury" and I say leave that to Buick and Lincoln. Caddy needs to build a true S/7 fighter.
Actually, in some ways, we don't disagree. I agree with you that Caddy needs a Mercedes S-fighter. But the XTS, with its smaller size, semi-sport suspension/tires, and frustrating CUE system is just not the vehicle to do it. In fact, my prediction is that, especially with those who can afford it (the S-class is real money), a number of former DeVille/DTS owners are going to dump Cadillac and convert to the S550. Just how many (?), right now, remains to be seen.....and, of course, the astronomic price of Mercedes parts and service (when not free or warranty-covered) could also be a deterrent.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-09-13 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Yeah I personally think the LS has a more luxurious ride than the S Class. Sure the 460 is a little firmer, but all in all it still has that solid, glassike Lexus ride.

I felt the E Class felt boaty without feeling particularly refined or luxurious, I think my GS rides much better than the E Class.
Old 04-09-13, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Yeah I personally think the LS has a more luxurious ride than the S Class. Sure the 460 is a little firmer, but all in all it still has that solid, glassike Lexus ride.

I felt the E Class felt boaty without feeling particularly refined or luxurious, I think my GS rides much better than the E Class.
One thing it's definitely tough to beat the LS on its its quietness. The last 460 I drove was arguably the most tomb-like car I've driven since the 1969 Lincoln Continental many years ago. Its Mark-Levinson stereo is also the most killer automoptive sound-system I've listened to.
Old 04-09-13, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I've never felt that the LS rode like a Lincoln or something like that. I've never found them floaty, just smooth, refined, and incredibly quiet.
Old 04-09-13, 11:14 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The XTS's future seems like a mystery to me. It occupies the space between mid size and full size. And it offers, not a sporty ride, but a tad softer.

When Cadillac makes its flagship, the lineup will kinda be like Lexus.

The ES occupies the space between the IS and GS, and it is not necessarily similar to either, being tuned for comfort while the other two are sporty. The XTS occupies the in between space, but a size above, between CTS and future flagship. Whether or not it will be tuned to ahve a different ride than both is unknown for now.

Never really noticed the similarity between the two lineups till now.

It's also interesting to think that Cadillac used to make Rolls Royce quiver in fear in the American market.

In the 1920s, this is what Cadillac was making:

This is what Rolls Royce was making:

Even someone who does not have much interest in classic cars should be impressed by that Fleetwood.
Old 04-09-13, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trexlexus
The XTS's future seems like a mystery to me. It occupies the space between mid size and full size. And it offers, not a sporty ride, but a tad softer.
Its solidly a full sized car, its BIG.
Old 04-09-13, 11:52 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya i know it is big, but there are talks about Cadillac making another full size model, which they have "deemed" a "true" flagship. That is why i posted that about the XTS future.
Old 04-09-13, 12:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Agree with you on the size. Te ride, though, still quite firm by traditional Cadillac standards....even more so on the (admittedly) sport-oriented ATS.

It's also interesting to think that Cadillac used to make Rolls Royce quiver in fear in the American market.
Back then, though, even with the depression hitting in the 1930s that put a huge dent in car-sales, Cadillac, in the luxury-car buisness, had many worthy competitors that went out of buisness decades ago and aren't around today........Packard, Pierce-Arrow, Dusenberg, Chrysler Imperial, and Maybach were some of the most notable ones, although Maybach (briefly) came back, for a while, as an ultra-luxury nameplate outside of Cadillac's price-class.
Old 04-09-13, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
The current XTS is a stop gap measure IIRC, until a proper RWD Omega platform flagship is built.

The new CTS has a bigger problem than it's rear. They are moving it from it's tweener position (between compact and mid) to a a proper mid size platform, with the consequent price increase. No longer will you get a CTS with a bigger backseat and trunk for the price of 3 series.

How much will E class and 5 series buyers be willing to spend on a Caddy with a 4 banger base engine? BMW can get away with it, can Cadillac?
When they start offering the product, tech and engineering they can. Just look at the arsenal of powertrains available in the CTS including the VSport 3.6L V6 TT 420hp.

Cadillac is coming out of the woodwork. People will start taking notice
Old 04-09-13, 07:54 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in the day, their old slogan "standard of the world" actually meant something. I think Caddy really is having a renaissance. Honestly if they built the Ciel, I would jump ship from MB.